What film have you just watched?

Would the snow plough film be the cause of a remake starting Liam neeson?
I effing hope not! The original is only four years old and possesses the production quality of other Scandi drama such as The Killing and The Bridge.

I suppose Hollywood has decided it worth a "reboot" in a completely different setting and with a completely different premise, with English-as-a-first-language actors, because the American audience is too pigging stupid and/or too big a bunch of philistines to cope with subtitles and needs everything to be about their scenery and them "winning" and having superiority.

The absolute pricks.

Hello!
Yesterday I re watched Blow. It's my favorite film. I don't know how many times I have seen it. Maybe somebody can recommend me a similar film like Blow ?

Thanks !

I effing hope not! The original is only four years old and possesses the production quality of other Scandi drama such as The Killing and The Bridge.

I suppose Hollywood has decided it worth a "reboot" in a completely different setting and with a completely different premise, with English-as-a-first-language actors, because the American audience is too pigging stupid and/or too big a bunch of philistines to cope with subtitles and needs everything to be about their scenery and them "winning" and having superiority.

The absolute pricks.
I used to work with a guy who didn't like watching films with sub-titles. when I asked why he told me "It's because I have to keep pausing to read them."

I thought he was joking to begin with but he then demonstrated. I didn't dare bring up the point about his lips moving when he read them.

Hello!
Yesterday I re watched Blow. It's my favorite film. I don't know how many times I have seen it. Maybe somebody can recommend me a similar film like Blow ?

Thanks !
Interesting factoid: the lady playing Johnny Depp's mum is, in real life, five years younger than him. She's also Australian.

But we'll let her off as she's wearing well enough for a definite "I would..."

Alone We Fight. Jeez. Another bit of cheap pish involving a plucky few Spams bimbling around a German-occupied Belgian forest like it's a family picnic to the woods and finding it altogether surprising when the trees around them keep erupting in a hail of bullet-driven splinters. In an innovative move the director has apparently sourced RIF paintball guns so for those gritty close-in engagements he can save a mint on effects squibs and cackle-bladders. Who knew SS supermen were genetically engineered, and had lime-green blood! Also, the Unteroffizier who quite obviously is merely removing and replacing the same mag during his copious reloads (at least they "death click" each one) and the MG42 fed with a belt of clearly-obvious blank.

Oh, and the clearly recycled actors for various WH/SS roles. Mind you; if their SdKfz 222 is a replica then it's a bloody good one! Their Stuart looked pukka, too.

Edited to add: end titles commence with a Hemingway quote and the caption that he was "a survivor of the Hurtgen." Didn't know that. Thought his combat experience was limited to the Spanish unpleasantness. Every day's a school day.

Last edited:
In Order Of Disappearance. Snowplough pilot in rural Norway loses his son, murdered by organised criminals, and sets out to get a bit of bloody revenge, sparking a gangland war in the process. Nice scenery, nice plot, nice bit of black humour. The vaguely predictable paraglider/snow-blower interface gag at the end was particularly chuckleworthy. As was the unsubtitled rant by the main Noggin baddie's ex-wife. The scene gave it context for the non-Norse speaker. Baddie answers her with much brevity and curtness in a way we've all wished at some point we could get away with. Hitler plays the Serbian baddie. Excellent flick.

Robin Hood: The Rebellion and Vanquisher. Both so utterly ham- and wooden-acted by a bunch of never-heard-ofs that I can't be bothered to go and get IMDB links to them. The latter was so pish I binned it after twenty minutes. Can't even see it through for the young Thai ass-kicking chick as it's obvious she's going to break out a decent 'tache before she's much older.
Does it explain how the snowplough driver gets to work?

I watched Black Klansman last night because the Mrs for some reason thought it was a comedy and brought it home. Overall it wasn’t a bad at all, loosely based on a. book of the same name about a young black officers early career with a Colorado police department. The only part that I didn’t enjoy was the end after the main film concludes where Spike Lee has to throw in his typical usual drivel about society keeping the brothers down.

God of War
Netflix

Ming Dynasty Chinese general is tasked with clearing out pirates who have "invaded" the civilised world. Said pirates are actually Japanese samurai and ronin working for one of the Japanese clans who wish to have a pop at the shogunate and they're basically on a huge smash'n'grab for loot to finance.

Where to begin: it's a masterclass in production values, right down to the stylistic differences between Chinese and Japanese maps (I kind you not, the props are that detailed). Excellent cast, mainly HK-ers but with mainlanders too, well acted. Photography is lush, not quite up to Kurasawa's Ran but it won't be long before Sino cinematography does catch up with Saito's masterpiece.

Plot has no holes and makes sense, however, bear in mind it's a Chinese story so it takes a little patience to settle into the narrative but it is worth it; it is an engaging tale.

The story is told using both Japanese and Chinese dialogue and it's English subtitled -- don't let the notion of it being a bilingual story put you off, it works exceedingly well.

This is a film without CGI, the sets and locations are amazing; the cast for the battles scenes runs into the 100s, it is a production that has had a lot of money spent on it and it shows.

The combat scenes and the martial arts are stunning: the quarter-staff scene is a must-see, IMO.

4.25 out of 5.
Plus 1 for that-it was a pleasant, idle way to lose a couple of hours.

In the same vein (PRC-sponsored but mostly HK Chinese in front of and behind the cameras) 'The Bodyguard' (2017) is a much more low key affair.

The main role is filled (literally, as he is now a sturdy old unit) by one 'Sammo' Hung Kam Bo, a 66-year old HK Chinese martial artist, actor and action director.

Never heard of him? Bet you have: remember the opening scenes of 'Enter The Dragon' (1973), when we first meet Bruce Lee in competition against a chubby lad, set in the grounds of a Shaolin school? That was a young Sammo, by then an already established star in HK films.

This one, for the most part, is rather low key and understated. The main character is a retired Chinese SF operator who eventually reached General rank. However, he was diagnosed some time ago with dementia and, having fallen out bitterly with his daughter, returns to his ancestral home close to the Chinese/Korean border and simply waits to die.

His path crosses with a young girl from a broken home who's dissolute and criminal father has managed to have it away with a slack handful of loot from Russian gangsters.

The old boy is somewhat pathetic as he sinks ever deeper into the grips of dementia (in one scene, he forgets that he has his house key on a chain around his neck: he can't remember, so promptly hoofs the door in giving us a flash of the younger man's martial arts skill).

The final third if the film contains what, in my view, is one of the best choreographed martial arts scenes in recent years: suddenly confronted and trapped in a Tong den (which, in turn, is being raided by the aforementioned Russian gang), the clouds of dementia clear and the noble old warrior is allowed to perform.

And does he perform: for that action sequence alone, I would award the old boy a well deserved 5/5-all from an overweight pensioner who has undergone heart surgery and still smokes too many cigars.

Watchmen

In an alternate 1985 America, costumed superheroes are part of everyday life. When one of his former comrades is murdered, masked vigilante Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) uncovers a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his retired associates, only one of which has true powers, Rorschach glimpses a far-reaching conspiracy involving their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the world's future
Utter tosh, even by my standards.

Edited to add: end titles commence with a Hemingway quote and the caption that he was "a survivor of the Hurtgen." Didn't know that. Thought his combat experience was limited to the Spanish unpleasantness. Every day's a school day.
Hemingway spent a lot of time with the US 22nd Infantry regiment. IIRC he was a personal buddy of the OC. 22nd was raped at Huertgen in 18 days it had 2,773 casualties out of 3,257 men. they were then sent to the Ardennes to rest in the first week of December

Last edited:
'Search' tells me that a lot of people here paid to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri around January this year, but Sky have recently put it onto their streaming site, so I watched it this evening.
I don't know, but suspect that the point of it was to fire up everyone with every one of the mighty load of Victimhoods weighing down American society at this time; within the first ten minutes there was: single mother, evil white man, violent ex-husband, rape, racism, dwarfism, sexism, ageism, Sheriffs in shades, poverty, good black guy and I stopped counting there.

The film is a Guardianista wet dream, and a quick search on the Guardian's site confirms it (just one of the many reviews) with more hits for column inches than Peter Dinklage has column inches. A link from one of the articles goes to the New York Times, where Sam Rockwell, who plays a Bad Guy (initially; he's really just 'angry' and makes amends), is slated for playing a Bad Guy (they say he shouldn't get an acting award because the character is a Bad Guy).

You can just imagine the Guardian's writers and readers having multiple orgasms watching the film, as all their prejudices are confirmed - "Yes! That's exactly what white men are like! Kill them all! Kill! Kill! Kill! But leave the dwarves".

'Search' tells me that a lot of people here paid to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri around January this year, but Sky have recently put it onto their streaming site, so I watched it this evening.
I don't know, but suspect that the point of it was to fire up everyone with every one of the mighty load of Victimhoods weighing down American society at this time; within the first ten minutes there was: single mother, evil white man, violent ex-husband, rape, racism, dwarfism, sexism, ageism, Sheriffs in shades, poverty, good black guy and I stopped counting there.

The film is a Guardianista wet dream, and a quick search on the Guardian's site confirms it (just one of the many reviews) with more hits for column inches than Peter Dinklage has column inches. A link from one of the articles goes to the New York Times, where Sam Rockwell, who plays a Bad Guy (initially; he's really just 'angry' and makes amends), is slated for playing a Bad Guy (they say he shouldn't get an acting award because the character is a Bad Guy).

You can just imagine the Guardian's writers and readers having multiple orgasms watching the film, as all their prejudices are confirmed - "Yes! That's exactly what white men are like! Kill them all! Kill! Kill! Kill! But leave the dwarves".
I thought it was a great film up to a certain point where it then went off the rails. The scene at the school where the mother had just dropped the son off was a hoot. I can think of many cases where the same remedy should be applied. However, the second half just lost direction and energy and overall I was disappointed. The ending just seemed stupid beyond words.

The film is a Guardianista wet dream, and a quick search on the Guardian's site confirms it
You mean this bit ex the Guardian review?

"But race in America, especially today, is something that requires a rigorous gaze. To portray it on screen requires some hard intellectual work and a knowledge of this life in the margins. For some critics and viewers, that’s an award that Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri didn’t earn."

Death Race 2000, produced by Roger Corman, and starring David Carradine and Sylvester Stallone. Quite a good movie as far as these things go, with lots of carnage, explosions and gratuitous female nudity.

And it's much better than the crop of recent prequels and reboots.

God of War
Netflix

Ming Dynasty Chinese general is tasked with clearing out pirates who have "invaded" the civilised world. Said pirates are actually Japanese samurai and ronin working for one of the Japanese clans who wish to have a pop at the shogunate and they're basically on a huge smash'n'grab for loot to finance.

Where to begin: it's a masterclass in production values, right down to the stylistic differences between Chinese and Japanese maps (I kind you not, the props are that detailed). Excellent cast, mainly HK-ers but with mainlanders too, well acted. Photography is lush, not quite up to Kurasawa's Ran but it won't be long before Sino cinematography does catch up with Saito's masterpiece.

Plot has no holes and makes sense, however, bear in mind it's a Chinese story so it takes a little patience to settle into the narrative but it is worth it; it is an engaging tale.

The story is told using both Japanese and Chinese dialogue and it's English subtitled -- don't let the notion of it being a bilingual story put you off, it works exceedingly well.

This is a film without CGI, the sets and locations are amazing; the cast for the battles scenes runs into the 100s, it is a production that has had a lot of money spent on it and it shows.

The combat scenes and the martial arts are stunning: the quarter-staff scene is a must-see, IMO.

4.25 out of 5.
plus 1 from me - excellent movie and would thoroughly recommend it