What film have you just watched?

The Vietnam documentary series on Netflix is also a good watch for the same era. Pertinent to an extent as the Vietnam War influenced and coloured a great deal of American history and society during that 'reformer' period.
Is that another re-run of the Ken Burns one? Seen it a few times if so & has been discussed on here. Burns has/had an agenda & that does seem to skew the facts.

I saw Halloween this evening it was a proper good old fashioned slash fest, I was really looking forward to it as the original is the only film that managed to scare me. It ignores the sequels and is more than a bit of a homage to the original the director used a very similar style to John Carpenter, it had the same John Carpenter sound track, the texture of the film was 70's even the titles were in a 70's retro style in fact if you took away the mod cons like mobile phones etc it could have been 1978. It isn't the best written movie ever and there were a few characters that seemed pointless but overall I really enjoyed it.

First Man

I really liked it - Gosling suited the role well and it managed to inject some suspense into a story we all know the outcome of

Recommended
Saw it tonight. I enjoyed it but in a completely different way to say Apollo 13. There is a great deal of emotion in "First Man" but it is greatly, greatly underplayed (and feck all exposition).

Didn't quite know where to put this, that I've just found:

Sudden desire to learn Hungarian....

1967 classic Robbery with Stanley Baker on DVD. It is now in proper format, has a 2nd disc with extras and a little booklet explaining the making of the film.
Starts with a car very good chase through London in a couple of Mk2 Jags that so impressed Steve McQueen he asked director Peter Yates to direct Bullitt the following year.
What was the Stanley Baker film where he and his gang dressed up like soldiers to rob the cash from a unit deploying overseas?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hunter Killer

Well, it's never going to win any Oscars or please the critics but it's not the worst way I've spent a couple of hours. Gerard B is ok and the action and suspense with the subs is good enough, not quite Red October stuff but not bad, but I found the SEAL team parts to grate a little bit.

I wouldn't rush out to buy the DVD but I wouldn't change the channels if I came across it on TV

Hunter Killer

Well, it's never going to win any Oscars or please the critics but it's not the worst way I've spent a couple of hours. Gerard B is ok and the action and suspense with the subs is good enough, not quite Red October stuff but not bad, but I found the SEAL team parts to grate a little bit.

I wouldn't rush out to buy the DVD but I wouldn't change the channels if I came across it on TV
Does the submarine interior look about five times more spacious than reality? They often do. About the only sub set I've seen that seems remotely realistic, compared to photos/memories of tours/museum visits of the real thing is Das Boot.

RUSH

James Hunt & Niki Lauda history and feud in the earlier days of F1.

Very enjoyable film, highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Hitman's Bodyguard (on Netflix), Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson shoot their way from Coventry to The Hague. Very enjoyable, quite a few giggles. Nothing too brain taxing but you do need to suspend reality for most of it.
Two thumbs up.

RUSH

You might enjoy this:

Ferrari: Race to Immortality (2017) - IMDb

I loved Rush and Senna. I think you would really enjoy Ferrari: The Race to Immortality. I watched it on a plane on the way back the US. As an F1 fan I was captivated and I knew a lot of the (basic) history but the interviews with Hawthorn, Collins, their families and the Italian drivers really made it special. Some incredible coverage of racing plus deeply personal stuff, I thought it was brilliant and I will definitely watch it again.

Am donning body armour to deal with any rounds that come my way, but I've just come back from watching A Star Is Born. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Both Cooper and Gaga are absolutely believable and the soundtrack was brilliant (apart from the modern Gaga stuff which I guess you are supposed not to like as she starts her own career). The scenes with Sam Elliot and Cooper are great and I think Elliot absolutely nailed it. Vue cinemas need to get better cleaners though as I found the cinema a little dusty on occasions. If this cleans up at the Oscars I won't be at all surprised.

You might enjoy this:

Ferrari: Race to Immortality (2017) - IMDb

I loved Rush and Senna. I think you would really enjoy Ferrari: The Race to Immortality. I watched it on a plane on the way back the US. As an F1 fan I was captivated and I knew a lot of the (basic) history but the interviews with Hawthorn, Collins, their families and the Italian drivers really made it special. Some incredible coverage of racing plus deeply personal stuff, I thought it was brilliant and I will definitely watch it again.
Cheers, will look into that one.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

Does the submarine interior look about five times more spacious than reality? They often do. About the only sub set I've seen that seems remotely realistic, compared to photos/memories of tours/museum visits of the real thing is Das Boot.
The only subs I’ve been on are WW2 vintage so not really comparable but they did seem a little generous space-wise

RUSH

A great film this

I also enjoyed the documentary that came out at the same time which looked at Hunt and Lauda’s rivalry - they interviewed the then boss of McLaren who said they were always trying to rein in Hunt’s antics but gave up when, at a party, he pulled the lead singer of the band, shagged her all night, then won the race the next day.

The sport is much poorer without characters like Hunt.

Michael Caine is Harry Brown.

Hmmm, interesting, in a peculiar sort of way. Pensioner ex-Royal does a Charles Bronson on a drug riddled, crime infested Lahndun council housing estate.

3 to 4 out of 10.

In my defence it was free on Prime.

Hmmm, interesting, in a peculiar sort of way. Pensioner ex-Royal does a Charles Bronson on a drug riddled, crime infested Lahndun council housing estate.

3 to 4 out of 10.

Give you a like but I thought it a lot better than 3 or 4. The opening scenes quite brilliantly set the stage for what is to come without a word of dialogue. I thought it a well made and very well acted film.

3 to 4 out of 10.

Give you a like but I thought it a lot better than 3 or 4. The opening scenes quite brilliantly set the stage for what is to come without a word of dialogue. I thought it a well made and very well acted film.
"You failed to maintain your weapon".
I thought it was alright, Gran Torino inspired maybe,but it could have been better.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Operation Finale starring Ben Kingsley watched it on Netflix.

Based on the capture of Nazi fugitive Adolf Eichmann from Argentina in 1960 by mossad.

Strange film as in its a remake of the 1996 tv film "The man who captured Eichmann" starring Robert Duvall.

In this recent version Kingsley plays the lead role of Eichmann, strange as Kingsley is in his 70's and Eichmann was 56 at his time of death. Kingsley is plastered in heavy make up and jet black hair, he looks like a crap drag queen. Especially when there are a few flash back scenes when Eichmann was shown watching mass killings of Jews.
The plot follows the story of Eichmann living a poor life with his wife and kids in a suburb of Buenos Aries. There was a large German ex pat community according to the film all rampant Nazi's. By chance a young German but Jewish girl befriends the son and informs Israel.
Eichmann is kidnapped by mossad then held in a safe house while the Nazi ex pats and Police search for him.
In real life he was drugged disguised as El Al air crew then flown out.
In this story El Al will only fly him out if he sign's paperwork agreeing to leave Argentina. Eichmann refuses and the plan stalls (,yeah right) until the mossad hero befriends Eichmann and finally persuade him to sign. He is bundled out of the safe house just as the Nazi's and Police discover the safe house.
Another dramatic incident, the plane can't take off without the right paperwork! The mossad hero again saves the day and the plane takes off just as the bad guys arrive. I don't recall the Israeli's C-130's being bothered about paperwork when they arrived at Entebbe.
It's an OK film 6 out of 10?