What film have you just watched?

Isnt Deadpool a Marvel Character? theres a lesbian couple in Deadpool 2
DC and Marvel characters haven’t advertised it but they’ve identified as LGBTQ. Thor: Ragnarok; Valkyrie is Bi - according to Tessa Thompson. Many of the writers and actors are (in their own words) “queer”.

Thompson was the first LGBT character in the Marvel films but they’ve been on TV. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, Daredevil, and The Defenders all feature homosexual characters. And if Disney acquires Fox: X-Men and Deadpool (pansexual) could end up in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Joey Gutierrez: gay.

And DC: Batwoman is gay.

It’s good business for the industry.

@Skunkmiester - yup Deadpool is 'pansexual'.

Cheers

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Deadpool is not choosey either. It is hinted at in the comics that he swings every possible way he can.
I thought it was Spider-Man who did the swinging?

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Jet Storm [1959] on Talking Pictures TV last night.

Stunning cast including Richard Attenborough and Stanley Baker

Richard Attenborough as Ernest Tilley
Stanley Baker as Capt. Bardow
Hermione Baddeley as Mrs. Satterly
Bernard Braden as Otis Randolf
Diane Cilento as Agelica Como
David Kossoff as Dr. Bergstein
Virginia Maskell as Pam Leyton
Harry Secombe as Binky Meadows
Dame Sybil Thorndike as Emma Morgan
Mai Zetterling as Carol Tilley
Marty Wilde as Billy Forrester
Patrick Allen as Mulliner
Megs Jenkins as Rose Brock
Paul Eddington as Victor Tracer
Glyn Houston as 'Michaels

Somewhat oddly, the airliner shown was a Russian Tupolev Tu-104 which is quite distinctive.

The film is a bit contrived but some good performances as you would expect given the cast. Attenborough puts in a good shift and is suitably convincing as the bomber. Worth watching as a period piece.
That's almost the full house of British actors. Only missing Anthony Steel and Victor Madden.

It's not a great film by any stretch but I enjoyed playing "spot the star" as well as spot the plane.

It's only really saved by Attenborough and a typically solid Baker performance.

I thought it was Spider-Man who did the swinging?
Spiders ejaculate from special glands on the ends of their limbs.

Puts Spiderman into a whole new perspective.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In line with my last post, and although not a film I have yet watched, I am looking forward to this;laurel and hardy - Bing video

I recently read - and reviewed - a book called simply 'He' by John Connolly, about the pair, and absolutely loved it. The actors in this trailer actually look much like the characters they are playing.

Precious Cargo. Not bad; not bad at all. Especially with the smouldering Claire Forlani (aka Mrs. Dougray Scott - but we can let her off, I'm sure) smouldering through most of it.

Sicario Day of the Soldado.

It was alright, I always like gear & gun spotting and this film allowed that. It ended with the potential to make a third film.

I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.

Sky showed All the Way the other night. I've seen it before & i think its very good considering its a TV movie. Cranston is great as LBJ & it paints a good light on the LBJ presidency that is more often overshadowed by JFK & then Nixon. Seeing the political games being played with enacting the Civil Rights Bill & the background issues within US society makes you wonder how a 'civilised' country & self styled leader of the free world could market itself as such with such a disgraceful state based (& certain leading party names) bigotry that was as bad as if not worse than Apartheid.

Sky showed All the Way the other night. I've seen it before & i think its very good considering its a TV movie. Cranston is great as LBJ & it paints a good light on the LBJ presidency that is more often overshadowed by JFK & then Nixon. Seeing the political games being played with enacting the Civil Rights Bill & the background issues within US society makes you wonder how a 'civilised' country & self styled leader of the free world could market itself as such with such a disgraceful state based (& certain leading party names) bigotry that was as bad as if not worse than Apartheid.
And in many cases nothing has really changed either. Coincidently, I recently re-watched a really good SA film, Forgiveness, about the Truth and Reconciliation process after Apartheid.

In line with my last post, and although not a film I have yet watched, I am looking forward to this;laurel and hardy - Bing video

I recently read - and reviewed - a book called simply 'He' by John Connolly, about the pair, and absolutely loved it. The actors in this trailer actually look much like the characters they are playing.
I want to see that. They were in Guz on 17th of May, 1954 , Palace Theatre on Union Street, in "Birds of a Feather", their last shows of the tour. Harry Worth was on the same bill.

AFAIK, Hardy took ill and rested up in the Grand Hotel (later gutted by fire and water and then snaffled for apartments). Outside the New Palace Theatre doors, on the pavement were brass plaques (as far as I remember) commemorating a few names who'd played there.

Bad times at the El Royale.

10 years after the proceeds of a robbery are hidden in the floor of a hotel room a group of disparate guests check in at the same hotel.

But all is not what it seems and an interwoven narrative of the guests develops.

It's a bit like a Tarantino film but everyone talks like a human being & not a smart arse Tarantino clone. Some may find it slow & long, there's no exploding helicopters, CGI robots punching each other or karate fights with Navy SEALs, just an unwinding narrative that keeps you interested.

Personally, I loved it.

Edited to add: There was a trailer for a film called "Overlord" about some US Airborne troops taking a bunker filled with Nazis who have done experiments to create super soldiers or something. It looks absolute pump.

Last edited:

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I want to see that. They were in Guz on 17th of May, 1954 , Palace Theatre on Union Street, in "Birds of a Feather", their last shows of the tour. Harry Worth was on the same bill.

AFAIK, Hardy took ill and rested up in the Grand Hotel (later gutted by fire and water and then snaffled for apartments). Outside the New Palace Theatre doors, on the pavement were brass plaques (as far as I remember) commemorating a few names who'd played there.
I would have loved to see that show! Especially 'Tony' the wonder horse. That was the name of Tom Mix horse all those very long years ago.
From the book 'He' and from what I saw in the trailer, it looks like that hotel may well feature in the film.

July 22, about the 2011 massacre in Norway committed by Anders Breivik. Its just arrived on Netflix, not a bad watch and seems to be pretty comprehensive, worth a look.

I would have loved to see that show! Especially 'Tony' the wonder horse. That was the name of Tom Mix horse all those very long years ago.
From the book 'He' and from what I saw in the trailer, it looks like that hotel may well feature in the film.
The Tom Mix horse? Tony , no really.

And....The Grand Hotel, Plymouth

1539881599133.png

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
And in many cases nothing has really changed either. Coincidently, I recently re-watched a really good SA film, Forgiveness, about the Truth and Reconciliation process after Apartheid.
And off the back of watching All the Way I re-watched Selma that the BBC screened a cpl of weeks ago.
This is another gem of a film within the same time frame as AtW so its a good contrast to that from the main viewpoint of Martin Luther King's strategy around the fight for the vote & the confrontation in Selma AL.
Interesting as the main roles are filled by Brit actors. Tom Wilkinson as LBJ, Tim Roth as the AL gov & our man David Oyelowo who is consistently good in everything he does imo.

And off the back of watching All the Way I re-watched Selma that the BBC screened a cpl of weeks ago.
This is another gem of a film within the same time frame as AtW so its a good contrast to that from the main viewpoint of Martin Luther King's strategy around the fight for the vote & the confrontation in Selma AL.
Interesting as the main roles are filled by Brit actors. Tom Wilkinson as LBJ, Tim Roth as the AL gov & our man David Oyelowo who is consistently good in everything he does imo.
The Vietnam documentary series on Netflix is also a good watch for the same era. Pertinent to an extent as the Vietnam War influenced and coloured a great deal of American history and society during that 'reformer' period.