What film have you just watched?

'in the heart of the sea', the true story which inspired Moby Dick. pretty good if a little lacking in depth, ha, see what i did there!
Just watched that on Netflix, excellent IMHO. Historical drama sea thing, Master and Commander is probably the nearest comparable.

Master and Commander is probably the nearest comparable.
I thought the Master and Commander film was going to be the first of a trilogy. Certainly it was deserving of at least a sequel as it was a great film that had plenty of storyline left in it. Sadly the director Peter Weir didn't agree and neither did Universal Pictures seeing as it only made $212m worldwide.... gah...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I thought the Master and Commander film was going to be the first of a trilogy. Certainly it was deserving of at least a sequel as it was a great film that had plenty of storyline left in it. Sadly the director Peter Weir didn't agree and neither did Universal Pictures seeing as it only made $212m worldwide.... gah...
That would be because it did not show the yanks winning the war singlehanded! :rolleyes:

That would be because it did not show the yanks winning the war singlehanded! :rolleyes:
I do like that film which I havein my collection and which I revert to on a regular instance. Love the storyline, the cast, a bit dubious on the violin and cello combo. :)

Do these Hollywood types factor the DVD sales. Perhaps not then I'd surmise?

I do like that film which I havein my collection and which I revert to on a regular instance. Love the storyline, the cast, a bit dubious on the violin and cello combo. :)

Do these Hollywood types factor the DVD sales. Perhaps not then I'd surmise?
Hollywood producers (a class of people it should be legal if not mandatory to walk up to on the street and slap in the face with a wet haddock) only really care about the takings from about the first three domestic weekends, especially if the film's production cost was rather high. If they're below standard, especially if the second week is about, say, eighty percent down on the first, people get sacked or reassigned. I'm pretty sure Master and Commander's first weekend wasn't all that successful.

It's a shame because it's a really good film, and if successful it could at some possible future date have led to my favourite "Wooden ships and Iron Men" series, the "Richard Bolitho" books, get an adaptation. After all, if Maturin, Aubrey and Hornblower can get outings, why not my favourite literary character from Cornwall?

I have read all the books,tremendous scope for lots of swashbuckling(?).Excellent acting as well in M&C
From what I can remember reading about once the film was out, Wier knew there wasn't going to be anything to follow M & C hence why the screenplay was written to include several small 'cameo' scenes that are actually from other books in the O'Brian series.

Watched “ Zulu “ last night .... difficult to add anything new concerning this film ... however ... on location work of this first (?) film produced by Stanley Baker was delayed by about two weeks because of bad weather and the team resorted to calling in a local Witch Doctor to bring back the Sun ... Stanley Baker established a life long friendship with the then Chief of the Zulus Buthelezi who played Chetawayo ... apart from historical inaccuracies the film certainly applauds the bravery of both sides .

I also came across these transcripts of a radio broadcast published in The Listener in 1936 by the then Lt Col Frank Bourne OBE DCM ... an interesting listen ...

.... he was the final survivor of the action when he died on VE Day 1945 .

Last edited:
Gregory Peck's Horatio Hornblower picture from 1951. Not bad-it's been years since I read the books, but I think they were able to put elements from the books into the movie (the megalomaniacal Central American warlord, Hornblower being a prisoner of the French, etc). I give it four out of five stars.

Shoot 'Em Up, with Clive Owen and Monica Belluci. Also starring Paul Giamatti in one of his most out-of-character roles as a really sleazy former FBI profiler turned hitman. One of the best action black comedy films in decades, yet for some stupid reason didn't have a good performance at the box office. Which is a shame as it's got lots of action, massive amounts of gore and a really sharp script. It's on Amazon Prime Video for free if you have access to that thing.

Shoot 'Em Up, with Clive Owen and Monica Belluci. Also starring Paul Giamatti in one of his most out-of-character roles as a really sleazy former FBI profiler turned hitman. One of the best action black comedy films in decades, yet for some stupid reason didn't have a good performance at the box office. Which is a shame as it's got lots of action, massive amounts of gore and a really sharp script. It's on Amazon Prime Video for free if you have access to that thing.
Watched the first 15 minutes or so the other day. Will be something I come back to when the missus is out.
If you're going to set the tone of a film very quickly then killing a man with a carrot is a good starter.

Chance of a Lifetime, 1950, Bernard Miles, Basil Radford, Kenneth Moore. Comedy drama fairly predictable some nice shots of Grey Ferguson tractors.

CFB

‘Bleach’ (2018) English subtitles.

A Japanese movie production of an adaption of a Japanese comic book, so expect a little weirdness in parts, but also expect to be entertained by good acting, fine characterisation, and some great sight gags.

If you were to give it a descriptive title it would be ‘Primeval meets a male Buffy, with a few nods to Star Wars along the way.’

Set in present day, Ichigo Kurosaki ( Sota Fukushi ) is a High School student, with fighting skills, an ability to see ghosts, and an innate nature to stand up and be counted, which he hides from sight behind a façade of moody teenage rebel.

At age five, his mother had died protecting him from an evil spirit, known as a Hollow, which takes the form of a waif-like four year old girl. He does not know it but he was targeted because he has ‘High Spiritual Pressure’, a rarity in humans.

Ichigo encounters a diminutive, sword wearing, girl in 14th Century samurai dress in his bedroom (as you do). He takes her to be one of the many ghosts he encounters and she is astounded that he can see her, but she is a soul reaper, not a ghost, and charged with destroying Hollows. She is Rukia Kuchiki (Hana Sugisaki) and she explains about his High Spiritual Pressure ( Just picture Obi Wan as a cute Japanese schoolgirl saying “Luke, the Force is strong within you” and you get the idea) and it has attracted a Hollow who will eat his soul.

The Hollow is huge and smashes a hole in the side of the house, snatching Ichigo’s little sister. Ichigo grabs a baseball bat and wades in, only to be knocked on his ass. Rukia does the leaping-tall-buildings-in-slow-motion-with- sword-at-the-ready-thingy, and slashes its arm, forcing it to release the little sister, but the Hollow takes a chunk out of Rukia’s sword arm and is all set to eat her soul as well as Ichigo’s and his sisters. Rukia breaks the reaper code by transferring her powers to him, a miserable and lowly human. He slices and dices the Hollow, but he cannot transfer the power back to Rukia, despite trying.

So Rukia takes up residence in Ichigo’s small bedroom wardrobe and becomes a new student at his school, in order to train him to be a proper soul reaper and capable of killing the big baddy Hollow, who is the seemingly little girl who killed mum. She only has until the next full moon to achieve this or both she and Ichigo will be killed by her own kind, who are not particularly nice, being up themselves, and consider humans to be little more than vermin .
The film goes on to see his training ( tiny Rukia, <pictured> constantly handing him his ass with a wooden samurai sword, and blatting the crap out of him with a pintel mounted, fully auto, tennis ball machine) and eventual confrontation with numero uno evil spirit.

I enjoyed it.

Trailer