What film have you just watched?

I often wondered where the outdoor scenes had been shot .... certainly looks like poor soil ... and discovered a couple of years ago it was Portugal which I believe was a neutral country in WW2 ... so I wonder how the Cromwell Tank got there unless they bought some for their army post war .
see Officers with Maps thread

Currently watching the Beryl Reid/Susannah York lesbian-themed drama, "The Killing of Sister George" on Talking Pictures TV. It is more of a character study than a full-on lesbo orgy test, and the acting is rather good, particularly from Reid.

Apparently the writer of the original play based it partially on the sacking of the woman who played Grace Archer - and her character's death - from "The Archers", which the BBC cooked up to outdo the launch of the upstart ITV network, whose opening co-incided with that night's episode. (Seems like that worked as they got 20 million listeners for it according to Wikipedia.)

Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.
I know they’re sh*t, but so much so that they’re great.
This one does a sort of world tour, and features various ‘faces’ from all the countries featured. Some of the puns and homages to other films are good too. I’m almost embarrassed to say I was laughing aloud (not Laughing Out Loud, I’m too old for that) at many of the quips. .

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Heads up for tonight Sunday 19/8/18.

Bridge of Spies - Film4 at 2100.

Some may find this movie slow and ponderous but I thought it was excellent. Slow, yes but atmospheric - absolutely. Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance play Russian spy Rudolf Abel (Rylance) and Donovan (Hanks) and the film is about the swapping of Abel for U2 spyplane pilot Gary Powers in 1962 along w8th naive US student Frederic Pryor.

Rylance is brilliant as the stoic spy Abel, but i thought Hanks underplayed the Donovan character who comes over as a hick lawyer rather than the sharp individual and successful lawyer that he was. However, that to me, is the only criticism.

Big recommendation from me, but remember, it is in no way an action film.

The Outsider on Netflix - an American former prisoner of war who becomes a member of a Yakuza clan in 1950s Osaka.

Slow, ponderous and totally unbelievable with a fair bit of violence. 3.5/10.

Trailer

DEVIL; an M. Night short film from his unfinished trilogy The Night Chronicles. An Agatha-Christie-like whodunnit ("And then There Were None") cut price horror cum Tales of the Unexpected format. Boring script though it can't be easy constructing an hour's film in one tight space and it keeps you guessing, until the inevitable twist and the villain are revealed. Tales from the Crypt fans might go for this.

Lord of War; gunrunning. Brilliant.

Some may find this movie slow and ponderous but I thought it was excellent. Slow, yes but atmospheric - absolutely. Tom Hanks and Mark Rylance play Russian spy Rudolf Abel (Rylance) and Donovan (Hanks) and the film is about the swapping of Abel for U2 spyplane pilot Gary Powers in 1962 along w8th naive US student Frederic Pryor.

Rylance is brilliant as the stoic spy Abel, but i thought Hanks underplayed the Donovan character who comes over as a hick lawyer rather than the sharp individual and successful lawyer that he was. However, that to me, is the only criticism.

Also ch47 - Weds 22 -21:00-23:45

Bad Country on one of the lesser known movie channels on Sky. With William Dafoe as a cop who stumbles on an organised crime group in Louisiana ran by Tom Berenger. Turns a hitman into an informer on the inside. I enjoyed it, certainly better than what I thought it was going to be.
images.jpg

Isle of Dogs. Starring a bunch of people you've never heard of, directed, produced and written by people you've never heard of but oh, so deliciously violent. And a tad weird...

Barely Lethal. Couple of hot nineteen-year olds smite an equally hot middle-aged Jessica Alba and the ginger Stark from Game of Thrones. Samuel L. Jackson does not get to say, "Motherf**ker." Bit of a teen movie but still some grown-up laughs to be had - and the host-family mother is seriously MILFy.

Vengeance: A Love Story. Nicolas Cage does a surprisingly good turn as a taciturn detective and GW1 vet' set on sorting out some redneck rapists after Don Johnson, their slimy lawyer, discredits the state's case. Unfortunately, the lawyer doesn't get switched off but you can't have everything. Also stars Dallas's original Poison Dwarf as the redneck mother. F**k me but she has not worn well!

The Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou

A Wes Anderson film (from the director of Fantastic Mr Fox, Grand Hotel Budapest, Isle of Dogs, Moonrise Kingdom).

Another odd film from Anderson, with Bill Murray as Steve Zissou - a sort of cut price Jacques Cousteau on the trail of a shark which ate his best friend. A good supporting cast (obviously enjoying themselves) and off beat humour.

Festival Director: That's an endangered species at most. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?
Steve: Revenge.

Jane: I'm going to have to start locking my effing door.
Steve: It was locked, I kicked it in. Why don't you just curse like other people?
Jane: Because I'm trying to get out of the habit before I have my ******* baby!

If you like Anderson's other movies you'll enjoy this one.

I watched that last night after recording it on Sunday. I hadn’t seen it before. Absolutely brilliant. The nearly 3hr flew by. Not exactly historically accurate according to some, but a very good film all the same.
Tom Hanks can’t do any wrong for me anyway.

I have just discovered how sophisticated UTube is once you have logged in and requested 'old movies' or 'Crime Mysteries', i can re-log back on through my Amazon dongle on my TV and i get directed to the last movie i was watching or 'You May Like'... Edgar Lustgarten has not aged one iota in all these years.

'A Hill in Korea has been offered me as 'You may like' .

Last edited:
In which we serve. On now bbc2
Excellent film .... if we had lost the last awfulness all those who had been involved in the making of such films would have been eliminated ... I am sure they knew that . Also from which many years ago I first heard of the Sherry and Bovril drink .... which I can recommend on a cold Winter's day as a good warmer .