What film have you just watched?

Doesnt one of the NS squaddies throw the radio away as too heavy which leads to them not being able to call for help?
Michael Caine being the only Korea veteran in the cast.
If you look at the cast it is a who's who of post war Britain. Four bren guns seemed a lot for a patrol, i assume it did occur though. The Cromwell tank was possibly captured. Hosung's Blog: British Cromwell Tanks Used by North Korea During Korean War

Patient Zero.

A super rabies virus has turned humankind into highly intelligent, streamlined killers. A man gifted with the ability to speak the new language of the infected must lead the last survivors on a hunt for Patient Zero and a cure.

Doctor Who, Matt Smith plays the lead role adopting a septic accent for the part. It also looks like there may be a sequel if the end of the film is anything to go by.
Was a meh movie. I was expecting more from a film which had Stanley Tucci in it. Barely watchable....barely.

Was a meh movie. I was expecting more from a film which had Stanley Tucci in it. Barely watchable....barely.
Yeah Stan Tucci played his part well, I reckon they should have gotten someone else apart from Matt Smith to play the lead roll. Still if there is a sequel it might be a little better, this one passed an hour or so.

Just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Not as good as Life of Brian, but still damned funny four decades after it was made.

I watched The Death of Stalin last night and maybe it is just me but I thought it was crap
No it’s not just you. I watched it a few months back and found it was ‘funny tee-hee’ rather than laugh out loud.
Maybe it’s funnier to those that served over in Germany around that time, but I just found it to be an ok film.

Sadly, I think Wendell Mayes writing in the screenplay was superior to Commander D.A Rayner's radio adaption of his own novel.
'The swinish Hun' were typecast, which may well have appealed to the mood of the day but spoiled it for me.
Never seen the film version however I must agree with the comment in your last sentence .

Four bren guns seemed a lot for a patrol, i assume it did occur though.

The Cromwell tank was possibly captured. Hosung's Blog: British Cromwell Tanks Used by North Korea During Korean War
'Four Bren Guns' - The UN armies were outgunned by the mass produced PPSh-41 'Burp Gun', with its 7.62 round and a rapid rate of fire. The Sten, the US 'Grease Gun', and infantry rifles, could not win infantry v infantry fire fights, usually occurring during patrols. (and of the US rifles, the M1, and M2, carbines were considered inferior to the M1 Garand in terms of range and stopping power)
The ageing Thompson became a treasured item, with its heavier round and rate of fire, but oddly, the US MPs seemed to send out 'search and seize' squads to snaffle them back off their own units who did not have the weapons on their official inventory.
The Bren was a section weapon so it is not beyond reason that the additional two were 'on loan' from elsewhere in the company.

China's armour were mainly British Vickers and US Stewart, all surplus that had been given to the Chinese Nationalists and then captured by the communists, along with a mixed bag of T26 Japanese tanks, ancient Renault tanks, Fiat tankettes, and a few ex-Wehrmacht Panzer 1's. It was not until 1951 that Russia supplied T34's to Communist China.
N. Korea had better armour. Russia had occupied the north when the Japanese surrendered, and when they left in the late 1940s they made a gift of T-34's, small arms and artillery.
At the start of the Korean War, China had virtually no crews for its tanks, or its artillery, as the men with experience had fought for the Nationalists and were languishing in jail, given that they were deemed traitors to the people. One assumes that necessity made them 'politically reliable' overnight.
At the start of the Korean War, US Bazooka's were often ineffective against the T34's. The M20 Super Bazooka, modelled after the German's own Panzerschreck, which had been hurried into service in WW2 to counter the Panther and King Tiger, did not exist in large numbers in the US army having been cancelled at the end of that war. None were present in Korea, the units there still had the M9 Bazooka on their inventories.

Correct .... and some trivia ... I am sure the patrol wore '48 pattern webbing .... my main memory of that film is the four Bren Guns taking on the Chinese / North Korean hordes .... if you look carefully you can see the BFA's
At that time the Bren would have had masher barrels not BFAs.

Falling down - Michael Douglas .

I have seen it many times before but its still excellent and relevant today . One of my favourites .

Also watched Mindhorn 2017 , a comedy with Julian Barrett from the Mighty Boosh comedy series . He plays a failed actor who's early 80s heyday was playing Mindhorn , a cheesy detective . He is called out by the police to play his alter ego to catch a killer on the loose .
To be honest i was well prepared to switch off and was not expecting much but found it quite funny . It also has Simon Farnaby in who has worked with Barrett regualry and who people with kids will recognise from Horrible histories . They have some great verbal sparring scenes , made funnier by Farnaby being a Swedish character .
Good viewing 7/10

Never seen the film version however I must agree with the comment in your last sentence .
In the film, as an opposite to the book/radio play, you will notice straight off that (apart from the goodies being septics, and the location being the carribean) it is the destroyer captain who is suffering from seasickness, not the U Boat skipper.

Full movie - 'The Enemy Below' (1957)

At that time the Bren would have had masher barrels not BFAs.
That is correct I have used wrong terminology .... and if you look carefully it can be seen that they are not the normal Bren barrel .

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
'Four Bren Guns' - The UN armies were outgunned by the mass produced PPSh-41 'Burp Gun', with its 7.62 round and a rapid rate of fire. The Sten, the US 'Grease Gun', and infantry rifles, could not win infantry v infantry fire fights, usually occurring during patrols. (and of the US rifles, the M1, and M2, carbines were considered inferior to the M1 Garand in terms of range and stopping power)
The ageing Thompson became a treasured item, with its heavier round and rate of fire, but oddly, the US MPs seemed to send out 'search and seize' squads to snaffle them back off their own units who did not have the weapons on their official inventory.
The Bren was a section weapon so it is not beyond reason that the additional two were 'on loan' from elsewhere in the company.

China's armour were mainly British Vickers and US Stewart, all surplus that had been given to the Chinese Nationalists and then captured by the communists, along with a mixed bag of T26 Japanese tanks, ancient Renault tanks, Fiat tankettes, and a few ex-Wehrmacht Panzer 1's. It was not until 1951 that Russia supplied T34's to Communist China.
N. Korea had better armour. Russia had occupied the north when the Japanese surrendered, and when they left in the late 1940s they made a gift of T-34's, small arms and artillery.
At the start of the Korean War, China had virtually no crews for its tanks, or its artillery, as the men with experience had fought for the Nationalists and were languishing in jail, given that they were deemed traitors to the people. One assumes that necessity made them 'politically reliable' overnight.
At the start of the Korean War, US Bazooka's were often ineffective against the T34's. The M20 Super Bazooka, modelled after the German's own Panzerschreck, which had been hurried into service in WW2 to counter the Panther and King Tiger, did not exist in large numbers in the US army having been cancelled at the end of that war. None were present in Korea, the units there still had the M9 Bazooka on their inventories.
See, if only they had had That rifle they wouldn't have needed Brens or even artillery!

Before turning in last night, flicking through channels stumbled across the scene in Dusk till Dawn and Salma Hayek doing her snake dance, phwoaaaaar......

which then descends into the hilarious fight scene which Ms Zemlyak and I always guffaw over as it's such a scream......

I often wondered where the outdoor scenes had been shot .... certainly looks like poor soil ... and discovered a couple of years ago it was Portugal which I believe was a neutral country in WW2 ... so I wonder how the Cromwell Tank got there unless they bought some for their army post war .

Last edited: