What film have you just watched?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched Black Mass the other night a film based on true events surrounding a bent FBI agent getting into bed with The Winter Hill Gang in Boston during the 80’s.
Johnny Depp plays the lead role of the gang boss and what an evil nasty piece of xxxx he was and Johnny Depp looked the part. Having seen him in Public Enemies and this film he really can play the part of a nasty criminal and you wouldn’t think he is the same actor that plays that pirate, a sign of a really good actor.
Well worth a watch if you like true American crime stories.

Good effort ... I am sure you will enjoy .
As you now know Leo Genn a well known 50's UK actor plays the leading role ... he also appeared in the " Red Beret " playing the part based on the then Lt Col Frost .

Plastic. Better than I thought it would be, given Alfie Effin' Allen's in it (playing a total twat - so, just being himself, really).

Good effort ... I am sure you will enjoy .
As you now know Leo Genn a well known 50's UK actor .
Polite correction, he's an Aussie. He entertained in the Rumpole series. I thought he played a good role in Ryan's Daughter and was responsible for frightening my then very young daughters as the monk in Ladyhawk.

Polite correction, he's an Aussie. He entertained in the Rumpole series. I thought he played a good role in Ryan's Daughter and was responsible for frightening my then very young daughters as the monk in Ladyhawk.
I think we may refering to different actors .... the one I have posted about is definitely English and served in WW2 ... regret my lack of Mobile Tel skills means I cannot post a linky ... but Wikipedia will confirm .

I think we may refering to different actors .... the one I have posted about is definitely English and served in WW2 ... regret my lack of Mobile Tel skills means I cannot post a linky ... but Wikipedia will confirm .
My apologies, my error. Mr Glenn was the go to gent for all things good and upstanding.

'The Enemy Below' 1957

Great photography, not so great modeltronics, but easily forgiven.
Good characters portrayed by Curd Jürgens and Robert Mitcham as the main protagonists, but 'Captain Murrell's' shoulder shrugging and blase' recounting of how he watched his newlywed wife died after their ship had been torpedoed did not sound realistic.
Lots of real footage of depth charges being loosed off and the sea being flung skywards. A convincing hide and seek plot with details that sounded as if they may be authentic sub-hunting tricks.
Submariners with bronzed tans??? not believable but also forgivable.
Curd Jürgens, 'Kapitan Von Stolberg', is an anti-Nazi, as was Jürgens himself. Jürgens was sent to a concentration camp in 1944 for being politically unreliable.

Not an epic war movie but certainly an enjoyable one.

Movie trivia snippet.

In the Gene Hackman Denzel Washington submarine movie Crimson Tide the crew of said sub are discussing great war movies on the crew bus en route to the sub dock. One of the blokes (Gandolfini - Tony S from Sorranos) does a 'name that movie from the scene' impression.
Someone guesses wrong & Tony S corrects him naming TEB as the movie pronouncing Kurt Jurgens with a J.

Doesnt one of the NS squaddies throw the radio away as too heavy which leads to them not being able to call for help?
Correct .... and some trivia ... I am sure the patrol wore '48 pattern webbing .... my main memory of that film is the four Bren Guns taking on the Chinese / North Korean hordes .... if you look carefully you can see the BFA's

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched The Death of Stalin last night and maybe it is just me but I thought it was crap
IT wasn't just you, I stuck it for about twenty - thirty minutes, awful.

Doesnt one of the NS squaddies throw the radio away as too heavy which leads to them not being able to call for help?
Surly Pte Wyatt, played by one of the mass of Welsh actors in the film industry, post war, Ronald Lewis.
Surprised to read that Lewis reportedly liked knocking women about which, rightly, foreshortened his career.
Bankruptcy, alcoholism (not necessarily in that order), and eventual suicide followed.

A Hill in Korea - Freeview Talking Pictures, so expect a repeat sooner and/or later. Bigs up the NationalServicemen bolstering Regulars

A Hill in Korea
Michael Caine being the only Korea veteran in the cast.