What film have you just watched?

Can't it's secret.
Oh as it's you.
TALKING PICTURES, SKY Channel 328.
Remember it's Eldarado ice cream or KiOra squash at the Interval.
Followed by a meal. A short walk from this theatre.

CFB
Don't forget the rotating coloured oil picture on the screen before everything started.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I didn't want to watch this film but glad I did, one of the funniest true life stories brilliantly acted by Meryl Streep and Hugh Grant.
Florence Foster Jenkins. A very rich lady in 1940's New York who wanted to become an opera singer, problem was she couldn't sing, Meryl Streep played her superbly and Hugh Grant was brilliant as her husband and manager.
It sounds strange, well her singing was very strange and the story itself reminded me of the old fable The Emperors Clothes.
If you can track it down watch it, it's very funny and it made a change to watch a good story with good acting and a film not relying on special effects.
It was on BBC2 so it might be on the I player.
Bianca Castafiore walt.

Some months ago I reached the point where I would rather pull my own teeth without anaesthetic than watch Netflix-fodder again, so I have gone back to YouTube's varied offerings that could best be described as Saturday Afternoon Matinee on the telly.

No, sixty two years on, in 'Away All Boats', Jeff Chandler's ample good looks still do not outweigh his woeful lack of acting ability, in fact he is upstaged by a very young, and uncredited performance, by ships corpsman Clint Eastwood. "Dr Bell's waiting for him in surgery, sir." he said of his captain, Chandler, who was performing his only bit of believable acting in the whole film, that of being unconscious.

Some months ago I reached the point where I would rather pull my own teeth without anaesthetic than watch Netflix-fodder again, so I have gone back to YouTube's varied offerings that could best be described as Saturday Afternoon Matinee on the telly.

No, sixty two years on, in 'Away All Boats', Jeff Chandler's ample good looks still do not outweigh his woeful lack of acting ability, in fact he is upstaged by a very young, and uncredited performance, by ships corpsman Clint Eastwood. "Dr Bell's waiting for him in surgery, sir." he said of his captain, Chandler, who was performing his only bit of believable acting in the whole film, that of being unconscious.

You are cruel. The lad had an acting range, one day a cowboy and the next an native America.
As a point of trivia, I noticed Lex Barker and Jock Mahoney in the credits. Both played Tarzan at points in their career. Jock in particular must have been the skinniest Tarzan on celluloid in 'Tarzan goes to India.' Maybe the clue was in the film title there and he parachuted into country!

I liked Jock from his days in the tv series 'The Range Rider & Dick West'. An outstanding stunt man in his day as the Range Rider series quite ably demonstrated.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Another Dwayne Johnson soon-to-be classic - Skyscraper. Think Towering Inferno meets Die Hard 1. As it goes, it wasn't too bad, Johnson plays a one legged security consultant in Hong Kong to a Chinese billionaire, things soon go tits up when his family is trapped in the building with the bad guys. Plenty of stunts, loads of shooting and a hot Chinese looking female villain in Hannah Quinlivan. It's never going to be an Oscar winner but it kills a couple of hours.

Another Dwayne Johnson soon-to-be classic - Skyscraper. Think Towering Inferno meets Die Hard 1. As it goes, it wasn't too bad, Johnson plays a one legged security consultant in Hong Kong to a Chinese billionaire, things soon go tits up when his family is trapped in the building with the bad guys. Plenty of stunts, loads of shooting and a hot Chinese looking female villain in Hannah Quinlivan. It's never going to be an Oscar winner but it kills a couple of hours.
Let me guess: there is at least one scene where he smites a multitude of foes by battering them with his prosthesis as he hops around on his good leg?

Samson. A fair bit of smiting and a soupcon of torture. Made by Netflix's poor cousin and they cast Billy Zane (doyen of the supermarket bargain bucket/STV world) so draw your own conclusions.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Let me guess: there is at least one scene where he smites a multitude of foes by battering them with his prosthesis as he hops around on his good leg?
Just the one foe funnily enough, about 20 mins in.

Last edited:

I have a soft spot for this film for the following reasons:
1) The guy who the Captain considers indispensable because he is the only one who likes operating the garbage grinder.
2) The Chief Engineers model of the ship in his cabin.
3) Pappys reaction when he realises that someone has noticed he's "ruptured" himself moving the compressor.

On a related note Jeff Chandler broke my Dads heart with the whole cross-dressing thing.

On a related note Jeff Chandler broke my Dads heart with the whole cross-dressing thing.
Whaaaaaaaat? I didn't know that. Mind you, I went to an athletic seminar in San Diego in 1976 held by the Kardashians' kids dad, the decathele Bruce, who impressed me immensely. I rest my case.

Whaaaaaaaat? I didn't know that. Mind you, I went to an athletic seminar in San Diego in 1976 held by the Kardashians' kids dad, the decathele Bruce, who impressed me immensely. I rest my case.
To be fair, it doesn't seem to be a slam dunk. My dad was gutted either way.

He was linked with Esther Williams, who claimed in her 1999 autobiography Chandler was a cross dresser and she broke off the relationship. According to the Los Angeles Times, many friends and colleagues of Chandler's rejected Williams' claims. Jane Russell commented, "I've never heard of such a thing. Cross-dressing is the last thing I would expect of Jeff. He was a sweet guy, definitely all man."[71]

I have a soft spot for this film for the following reasons:
1) The guy who the Captain considers indispensable because he is the only one who likes operating the garbage grinder.
2) The Chief Engineers model of the ship in his cabin.
3) Pappys reaction when he realises that someone has noticed he's "ruptured" himself moving the compressor.

And all of those points attributal to the writer, not the actor.

He was killed by medical incompetence. An artery was severed during an operation to repair a slipped disc ( he got the injury playing football with extras on Merrill's Marauders). Two operations were needed to repair the artery, but a gauze swab was left inside and peritonitis followed .
In teaching hospitals, of that period, the incident was used as an example of bad practice by surgical nurses who do not account for the number of swabs used during a procedure, which is how my mother learned of it.

That was a surprise.

So was the fact that gruff sarn't major type, Harry Andrews, was gay, and met his long time partner, Basil Hoskins, during Ice Cold in Alex.

My gaydar was never up to much. I sat next to Paul O'Grady at a wedding once and thought that he was well-butch. (Thoroughly nice guy BTW, not a pretentious air about him.)

Continuing the slight thread drift .... and as a further surprise .... well certainly to me ... I only recently discovered that Anton Diffring ...

... famed for his portrayal of German Officers in the 1950's allegedly fled Germany in the 1930's because of his homosexuality

Last edited:
Patient Zero.

A super rabies virus has turned humankind into highly intelligent, streamlined killers. A man gifted with the ability to speak the new language of the infected must lead the last survivors on a hunt for Patient Zero and a cure.

Doctor Who, Matt Smith plays the lead role adopting a septic accent for the part. It also looks like there may be a sequel if the end of the film is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Mission Impossible 6 (I think). The latest one.

So, one of the rare situations when (a) the movie is better than the trailer (b) the movie is better than what came before (actually it’s probably the third best in the series after 2 and 1), (c) some scenes in the trailer ARE NOT in the movie

It’s a long movie, about three hours, so take snacks and refreshments, but it’s a good movie and original and well made and Simon Pegg isn’t too annoying. Thoroughly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk