What film have you just watched?

Imagine how I felt when I saw a photo of a B 17 on the cover of "Tunnel Rats" which for the uninitiated is set in Vietnam. Incidentally, don't ever watch it - to call it dire is to give dire films a bad name.
That's a classic Uwe Bole piece of shit film.
The first I'd heard of him was when he set up a boxing tournament fighting against critics who panned his films.
My first thought was "Good for him, effing critics constantly sneering at films that don't meet their pretentious ideals."

Then after watching this dreck (I managed to make it right to the end somehow) I wished that one of them had put a horseshoe inside their glove and given him further brain damage.

That's a classic Uwe Bole piece of shit film.
The first I'd heard of him was when he set up a boxing tournament fighting against critics who panned his films.
My first thought was "Good for him, effing critics constantly sneering at films that don't meet their pretentious ideals."

Then after watching this dreck (I managed to make it right to the end somehow) I wished that one of them had put a horseshoe inside their glove and given him further brain damage.
He has made some utter dross in his time. You could say that his best work is Far Cry - and if you've seen it, even without playing the game it's allegedly based on, you'd understand how pants his other work must truly be. I mean, it manages to be a vehicle in which Craig Fairbrass appears Oscar-worthy, for Christ's sale!

Why he released "Auschwitz" when it shows in part a bunch of kids handing him his arse beggars belief.

Just caught a bit of 'Gladiator (2000)'
Jesus christ on a bike, we were easily pleased 18 years ago!
Turned over to 'Bourne' on ITV, for a bit less cardboard acting.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. Quite entertaining, Tom Cruise is committed to the role as Ethan Hunt, doing most of his own stunts, and the rest of the cast work well together in support.

My opinion for what its worth, Zhukov came across as the only one not shitting himself 24-7 at the prospect of his own shadow denouncing him. Not interested in the political power but more than happy at the prospect of a punch up with the NKVD.
I saw a documentry, many years ago, about Zhukov and how, around that time, maybe a ear or two earlier, he'd been 'summoned' to the Kremlin to see 'Big Joe'. He basically said his goodbyes to family and friends, expecting to die. I imagine that after enough times, you stop fearing the inevitable.

Shite on telly and the Brexit threads are less entertaining daily.
Thought I'd get a boost in morale and watch 'Dead Mans Shoes' again. A lesson in humility and sweet revenge. A Paddy Considine classic.
Dead Man's Shoes (2004 film) - Wikipedia

The Night Manager, a Zombie/Vampire film, mostly cheesy and even watching it after downing a lot of wine it was still rather meh

So average I wouldn't bother, would rather watch something so awful it's funny

Zombie Strippers is much better...

OtherLIfe. Interesting sci-fiesque Australian offering. Worth checking out. Tasty bird in lead role, too, if you're that type of ArRSer.

Got Man of Steel on again at the moment. General Zod excellently cast. Knocks spots off of Terence "Tell him I'm fucking coming!" Stamp.

Keeping out of the heat and trying to stay away from a spade, I half-watched a film the other half had on, Paul Thomas Anderson's ('PTA') Phantom Thread. Daniel Day Lewis as ageing and fading London haute couture dressmaker "Reynolds Woodcock", picks up a young waitress and takes her home.

His new girlfriend's cooking is a main plot element, Woodcock's sister is called Cyril, and none of them is a full shilling or makes much of an impact, a bit like this film really. For a pointer, Mark Kermode gave it five stars. DDL disappears into the role as usual. It all looks good and blokes should probably watch these things once in a while, in my case not often.

Keeping out of the heat and trying to stay away from a spade, I half-watched a film the other half had on, Paul Thomas Anderson's ('PTA') Phantom Thread. Daniel Day Lewis as ageing and fading London haute couture dressmaker "Reynolds Woodcock", picks up a young waitress and takes her home.

His new girlfriend's cooking is a main plot element, Woodcock's sister is called Cyril, and none of them is a full shilling or makes much sense, a bit like this film really. For a pointer, Mark Kermode gave it five stars. DDL disappears into the role as usual. It all looks good and blokes should probably watch these things once in a while, in my case not often.

"Gunfight at the O.K. Corral" (1957) starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. Pretty much the best filmed version of the incident in my opinion. I like a good old fashioned Western, me. The only complaint I have to make concerning this movie is that there are no roles in it for Native Americans. A bit racist, but considering the time it was made in, I guess you have to expect that.

Watched the original M#A#S#H from 1970 last night, made during the last years of the Vietnam war, but set in North Korea in 1950+, one small sequence stands out, the gang were playing cards in the swamp, outside, seen through the mesh window, a jeep slowly crawls past, across the bonnet, is a stretcher, on it a dead body, covered in a white shroud, that few seconds said it all for me.

"The Bomb" on Amazon Prime, a documentary about the beginnings of the Race to build an atomic weapon & it's consequent political wrangling & arms race afterwards.
Very informative and none too preachy either. Lot's of talking heads from the Manhattan project.

There's a similarly named documenatary on Netflix but that is a more stylised montage of weapons test footage etc to the tune of an acid house soundtrack. I guess the film is anti-war but too be honest I was finding the film footage quite enjoyable in it's spectacle.

My advice is watch the former, not the latter.

Denzel in Equalizer 2. He's getting on a bit and apparently likes the pies. But he's kept his skill set and gets away with this vigilante cum Death Wish effort. By the look of it the franchise is going strong with a big fan base and sequels are popular. We can't all cause mass diarrhoea by just looking at our watch.

It's not like Hollywood's current weird output is dazzling, but TE2 has "beaten Mama Mia". So that's quite an achievement, innit? Most interested people must have seen the trailer by now.

1532477130666.png

Also, McCall has apparently set up a protégé for number three, and even ignoring some muttering about 'reverse racism' you might think the series is flagging.

Just watched The Lavender Hill Mob on BBC4 for the umpteenth time.
I quite like some of the Ealing comedies. A bit of simple escapism for 90 mins.
Alec Guinness does seem a bit creepy in this one though. Surprised to read he was only 37 when he filmed it. He looks more like 57. That said, John Thaw was 32 in the first series of The Sweeney. People looked older then.