What film have you just watched?

Another one for The Death of Stalin. Well late watching this cracking and very different Gaumont production (the first and oldest film company in the world). Several favourite actors in there and Steve Buscemi is barely recognisable apart from the unmistakeable voice. Lampooning Russian realism and pomposity, and quite possibly our own Commies and Trotskyites, it's only comedy. "The film desecrates our historical symbols -- the Soviet hymn, orders and medals, and Marshal Zhukov is portrayed as an idiot", was the official reaction. You can't miss the irony of the film getting banned in Russia by state censorship.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
The film's rubbish, it one of the few times the TV series is miles better than the film
You know they're making Downton the movie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one for The Death of Stalin. Well late watching this cracking and very different Gaumont production (the first and oldest film company in the world). Several favourite actors in there and Steve Buscemi is barely recognisable apart from the unmistakeable voice. Lampooning Russian realism and pomposity, and quite possibly our own Commies and Trotskyites, it's only comedy. "The film desecrates our historical symbols -- the Soviet hymn, orders and medals, and Marshal Zhukov is portrayed as an idiot", was the official reaction. You can't miss the irony of the film getting banned in Russia by state censorship.
Even the trailer is hilarious! And I like the list of actors in the movie. And it's from the same people who made In the Loop. Definitely on my list of movies to watch.

Even the trailer is hilarious! And I like the list of actors in the movie. And it's from the same people who made In the Loop. Definitely on my list of movies to watch.
Please do it and soon.
If you like your history then you're in for a treat.
Some things have been changed slightly for the sake of narrative and timescale but on the whole it's pretty accurate.
Bloody funny and quite horrifying at the same time if you can imagine such a thing.

I also loved the complaints from various reviewers and historians who felt the humour in the film destroyed the potential it held to 'Make a statement' about thehorrors of the period. Muppets.

Brilliant film and it had me crying with laughter. Especially nearly every Zhukov Scene.

Please do it and soon.
If you like your history then you're in for a treat.
Some things have been changed slightly for the sake of narrative and timescale but on the whole it's pretty accurate.
Bloody funny and quite horrifying at the same time if you can imagine such a thing.
Did it have any scenes like those from The Interview?

Just kidding. I am sure this one is a lot better and funnier. The Interview was one of those taking the pis kind of movies with not much substance.

Also an ex-fireman. Rocked up at his old engine company on 9/11 to volunteer, I believe.
Thanks for that info and the Brotherhood of Fire says the same.
After 9/11/2001... Brother Buscemi returned to FDNY Engine 55.
On September 12, 2001 and for several days following Brother Steve worked 12-hour shifts alongside other firefighters digging and sifting through the rubble from the World Trade Center looking for survivors.
Very few photographs and no interviews exist because he declined them. He wasn't there for the publicity
1532023947913.png

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I also loved the complaints from various reviewers and historians who felt the humour in the film destroyed the potential it held to 'Make a statement' about thehorrors of the period. Muppets.

Brilliant film and it had me crying with laughter. Especially nearly every Zhukov Scene.
My opinion for what its worth, Zhukov came across as the only one not shitting himself 24-7 at the prospect of his own shadow denouncing him. Not interested in the political power but more than happy at the prospect of a punch up with the NKVD.

Overlord from 1975, not sure why or how I've never seen this. It's a good little re-released film (won a prize in Berlin, 1975) about a young recruit going through training up until D-Day. Just an ordinary recruit going off to war knowing what'll happen. Mixing archive footage with fiction (real and staged) it's unusual but effective in showing life and the war back then.
Director Stuart Cooper in The Guardian:
I spent approximately 3,000 hours in that [IWM] dark cell between 1971 and 1975, briefly interrupted by a couple of other projects. It was during the archival research that I developed the idea of a dramatised feature film about an English soldier who sees his first action on D-Day, interweaving the archive footage to expand and tell the story. More research in the museum's document section - reading letters and unpublished diaries of ordinary soldiers who saw action in the first wave of D-Day - refined the concept
Janus films - Overlord. "Anyone interested might want to dig out a documentary in the Imperial War Museum's vaults entitled Cameramen at War, which was produced by the British Ministry of Information in 1943".

(Re) Watched The Odd Angry Shot last night.

Got the DVD as a Xmas gift from an Aussie mate of mine.

I picked up a copy of The Odd Angry Shot with 9th Company in Tesco on a 2 for £5.00 offer a couple of years back. I remember being impressed with when It was shown on the Sunday night movie slot on BBC 2 back in the 80's, it was just as good as I remembered. I did notice that the helicopters on the cover were Black Hawks, I know it only cost me £2.50 but is a bit of accuracy too much to ask.

Overlord from 1975, not sure why or how I've never seen this. It's a good little re-released film (won a prize in Berlin, 1975) about a young recruit going through training up until D-Day. Just an ordinary recruit going off to war knowing what'll happen. Mixing archive footage with fiction (real and staged) it's unusual but effective in showing life and the war back then.
Director Stuart Cooper in The Guardian:
Janus films - Overlord. "Anyone interested might want to dig out a documentary in the Imperial War Museum's vaults entitled Cameramen at War, which was produced by the British Ministry of Information in 1943".
There's a new movie called Overlord coming out near Christmas, it's about group of US Airborne troops being dropped into France. it's from JJ Abrams, think Band of Brothers meets Dead Snow.

I picked up a copy of The Odd Angry Shot with 9th Company in Tesco on a 2 for £5.00 offer a couple of years back. I remember being impressed with when It was shown on the Sunday night movie slot on BBC 2 back in the 80's, it was just as good as I remembered. I did notice that the helicopters on the cover were Black Hawks, I know it only cost me £2.50 but is a bit of accuracy too much to ask.
Imagine how I felt when I saw a photo of a B 17 on the cover of "Tunnel Rats" which for the uninitiated is set in Vietnam. Incidentally, don't ever watch it - to call it dire is to give dire films a bad name.

9th Company is top drawer.
Urra,urra,urra!

Not a film as such, but a tellybox program about films. Well sort of, and it's Mark Kermode who's a bit marmite, but to be fair he knows his stuff and is passionate about films

BBC Four - Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema

Although the first episode was about the RomCom genre, I actually found it quite interesting and I'm looking forward to the subsequent episode. The next one deconstructs Heist movies.