What film have you just watched?

The Martian. For once I was grateful for the advertisement breaks as I didn't want to miss parts of it.
Too many science fiction films gloss over technicalities. There were so many aspects that were rich for further study so I hope this film inspires people to get in to science and problem solving with a can do attitude.

Have you watched "The Raid" that has awesome fight scenes, if you like John Wick go for it
Whilst I liked The Raid I found some of the fight scenes got a bit tedious.

There was one near the latter half of the film where the protagonist & one of the top bad guys are having a choreographed fight in a fairly small room. It was like watching two people dancing with one move countered by another by another by another . . . . . . any tension became lost as it just became slick move followed by slick move with nothing at stake, neither looked like they had the upper or lower hand.

I thought John Wick has some of the best fight choreography I've seen in a long time.
Caught a short programme on Keanu Reeve's on telly: He whizzes around Hollywood on a Triumph, keeps his head down and like a fair few actors is very private. He seem's to have the Tom Cruise like obsession with wanting to learn how to do things rather than having body doubles. As a shooter myself I know how much work he put in to get to this level:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Caught a short programme on Keanu Reeve's on telly: He whizzes around Hollywood on a Triumph, keeps his head down and like a fair few actors is very private. He seem's to have the Tom Cruise like obsession with wanting to learn how to do things rather than having body doubles. As a shooter myself I know how much work he put in to get to this level:

Whats with tilting the weapon to a 45 degree angle (around the 1 min mark)?

Whats with tilting the weapon to a 45 degree angle (around the 1 min mark)?
Red dot offset.

Scope on top for distance.

Red dot attached at a 45 degree angle to the side for close in targets.

That is the theory, works for some, not for others ......... some buy the offset red dot because they think it makes them look cool. Like lasers - still only as good as the idiot steering the weapon.

Offset in action ===>

With the appropriate dog's name, so I read, which is not in the script for the possible remake.
Dan Snow discussed this in his introduction correctly pointing out that whilst the language wasn't acceptable in this day and age they'd left it in for historical accuracy following which there was a huge applause from the Albert Hall crowd

Deja Vu from 2006, I'm sure I've seen it before. It still holds up in spite of its silly plot, and the wife still says "eh?" every ten minutes. Well love it's....never mind.

Ploughing through a stack of DVDs of old films to watch in my hotel room. Last nighted watched Hitchcock's Vertigo. Top film; script, lighting, direction, acting. Each line taut, each set precisely composed. Nothing at all superfluous.

I'd read somewhere that Hitchcock planned everything out in advance so well that in some cases he didn't need to be on set when it was shot.

So many film makers of today could learn a lot from the old school of film making

Deadpool 2 last night. Lots of over the top violence and I was giggling like a twat at the parachute scene. Definitely worth a watch, glad to hear a third films already been green lit.
AC/DC Thunderstruck playing in the background. My mates Son was air guitaring at the cinema! Loved it too. RR is ace in the role

AC/DC Thunderstruck playing in the background. My mates Son was air guitaring at the cinema! Loved it too. RR is ace in the role
Is definitely the role Ryan Reynolds was born to play, liked Josh Brolin as Cable think they bounce off each other well.

My friend has Netflix so we watched The Siege at Jadotville this past weekend. Pure bliss. It was a cracking story and featured many shots of That Rifle being fired by the Micks. (FN FALs I believe.) My friend asked me why the French cared about the troubles down in the former Belgian Congo as he noticed the scene where GEN Tsombe is talking to De Gaulle on the phone and De Gaulle promises to send his best former FFL soldiers down to the Congo to work with the mine security forces. (Who end up attacking the UN peacekeepers) Well, said I, uranium, titanium, & copper are three good reasons I can think of for France to be interested in what happens in the Congo. The Americans and the Russians were licking their chops as well.

Best line in the movie is when the Irish commandant tells his next higher HQs that he has used every round twice. (Improvised shrapnel IED as ammo boxes filled with expended cartridge cases are electrically detonated by dynamite sticks rammed in the center of each one. ) Very nasty surprise for the cannon fodder blacks attacking on the merc side. ;-):-D

Siege of Jadotville.jpg

I watched "Entebbe" over the weekend. Top tip: don't. I wrote a review on here today about why. Can't do a link for some reason?
The made for TV movie Raid on Entebbe (1976) is better and has a few familiar faces in it (Charles Bronson, Martin Balsam, John Saxon etc.)

The made for TV movie Raid on Entebbe (1976) is better and has a few familiar faces in it (Charles Bronson, Martin Balsam, John Saxon etc.)
Yep. Avoid the new movie like a ginger debt collector.

Watched a couple of films this morning - "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut", which was scurrilously funny and remains the high point of the franchise over twenty years later, and "The Towering Inferno", which I still think is the best of the many Seventies disaster movie epics. Which is odd as none of the stars who headlined in it, like Newman, McQueen or Holden could stand it and went on record saying so.

The Martian. For once I was grateful for the advertisement breaks as I didn't want to miss parts of it.
Too many science fiction films gloss over technicalities. There were so many aspects that were rich for further study so I hope this film inspires people to get in to science and problem solving with a can do attitude.
Yes an absolutely brilliant movie, I saw it as a fictional riff on Apollo 13. Really inspiring stuff.

The three films I watched since my last post were "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" - the movie version of the Parker/Stone cartoon, which was scurrilously funny, "The Towering Inferno" - still one of the best "big building on fire" disaster movies, and "Top Secret!" - a Cold War spy comedy starring Val Kilmer, which was a hell of a lot more funny than it had any right to be.

The three films I watched since my last post were "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" - the movie version of the Parker/Stone cartoon, which was scurrilously funny, "The Towering Inferno" - still one of the best "big building on fire" disaster movies, and "Top Secret!" - a Cold War spy comedy starring Val Kilmer, which was a hell of a lot more funny than it had any right to be.
I remember going to see Top Secret with very low expectations but tittering most of the way through, even though it was just a series of spy movie tropes strung together it was quite cleverly done.