What film have you just watched?

We got there early for the trailers, about a third full by time fillum started.
Really enjoyed it. Laughed at the spell, think I was the only one in there got the reference.

We got there early for the trailers, about a third full by time fillum started.
Really enjoyed it. Laughed at the spell, think I was the only one in there got the reference.
It was like that when I saw Death of Stalin. I'm chuckling away at the comic absurdity shown and I became conscious that the rest of the cinema (small cinema capacity of about 100 and half full) was deadly silent. I think I must have been the only one there who had any knowledge (albeit from books) of what transpired at the time.

Continuing with my Godfather series, this time Part 2. Still brilliant and Al Pacino showing the descent of Michael from the maverick outsider to a cold-blooded controlling despot is brilliant acting as is Robert DeNiro's depiction of the young Vito growing from the hard-working home loving husband into a local power broker then Don.

Given the DVD set I have is a 2007 reworking from the old prints there is an extensive set of extras that I have previously mentioned. They also include a selection of deleted scenes which for the most part one can understand why they were deleted from films that were already running near 3 hours but a couple certainly would have added to understanding the convoluted storylines if they had been left in.

Last edited:
Mrs Morsk (who was born in the CCCP) tells me that she believes the most of the film to be accurate (like the guy telling the soldiers where to find his Dad etc) but it is a shame that it is american made and therefore the communists are treated like clowns again. apart from that, good film, and I like the lack of Russian accents. Non Ruskies can never do them properly anyway....
The Death of Stalin is a British/French production written by Armando Iannucci who is a Jockostani and based on a French Graphic novel. The idea behind having the cast use their own accents was to make it more authentic, the actual Polit Bureau were from all over Russia and consequently all had different accents. I can just imagine the sort of shit show it would have been if it had been a Hollywood history movie.

The Death of Stalin is a British/French production written by Armando Iannucci who is a Jockostani and based on a French Graphic novel. The idea behind having the cast use their own accents was to make it more authentic, the actual Polit Bureau were from all over Russia and consequently all had different accents. I can just imagine the sort of shit show it would have been if it had been a Hollywood history movie.
I stand correncted

Alien Covenant on Sky Premier. What a load of poop. All that CGI and modern filming techniques and they couldn’t get within a light year of achieving the raw tension of the original film. No Ripley in panties moment either. Very disappointing.

Detroit
Via Prime. Kathryn Bigelow directs. She's not a great director imo & this film while pretty bloody good, in fact its excellent from an entertainment POV seems to play with the 'truth'. May seem an odd thing to say about a piece of entertainment but this movie is about a major pivotal incident in 1967 Detroit during the race riots when 3 young black men were murdered during a police raid on the Algiers Hotel. 2 of the 3 dead were offed by the cops, one killed by persons unknown but most likely also by the cops. In reality a very shocking incident when you read the history books but the film makes very distinct accusations with the cops being shown doing the deeds & them trying to divert attention away. Thats all well & good but most of the ppl involved are still alive & while the trial of the cops ended in acquittal Bigelow takes it upon herself to go after these guys hook line & sinker in almost self-righteous fervour that the cops did it - end of.
Its pretty much 99% certain that they did but there are a couple of scenes of blatant cold blooded execution where in actuality no testimony or record is available. Yet real people are shown in the act. Made me feel a bit wary of the rest of it.
For all that, well worth a cpl of hours - good script, good action, good acting. Brilliant editing with news footage of the riots at the time.

Just seen 'I can only imagine' an excellent feel good movie about a young man forgiving his bully of a father, I warn you now it is a Christian movie. The only scene that came over as completely unbelievable was the father and son restoring an old Land Rover in rural Texas and then driving off down the road with no cloud of steam or smoke or a loud sound track of gearbox and diff whine , it would have been more believable if they had ridden a unicorn into the millennium falcon.
image.jpeg

Body of Lies is an outing for Leonardo di Caprio and Russel Crowe in a spy thriller where diCario is a CIA agent operating in Jordan. DiCaprio has come a long way over the years and I enjoyed this film. When he started out I wanted to work him over with a baseball bat but since Blood Diamond he seems to be improving. Film was directed by Ridley Scott whose films I generally enjoy.