What falling on ice tells you about your rubbish bench press

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Jan 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After two weeks of slipping about the inevitable happened yesterday and I did the both-feet-in-the-air-flat-on-the-back thing. I landed on the right side of my upper back. Now it's painful when I push anything, and I can feel the muscle that's giving the problem. I've always been a bit crap at benching - I can't lift what I should be able to.

I reckon that when I try to push I contract the non-working back muscles, which should be relaxed. Firing these muscles prevents injury if you throw a punch, but I don't think they should be working on a slow push. I don't seem to do the same thing when pulling. I suppose one of the things you do if you train regularly on an exercise is teach yourself to stop unhelpful involuntary movements.

2. What is the point of this thread?

3. Obviously got a crack pipe for Christmas.

4. To go with his slippers :)

5. "If you lift weights you might fight against yourself more than you think you do. I seem to".

The thread is (doubtless foolishly) predicated on the assumption that those who neither know nor care about the relationship between agonist and antagonist muscles will self-select and go do something else :lol:

http://exercise.about.com/library/Glossary/bldef-antagonist.htm

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Perhaps better titled "I do weightlifting...look at meeeeeeee"

7. I do understand, and comprehend exactly what you meant in your 1st post. I am still unsure why the thread was started? Is it a warning to those falling over? A cry for advice on lifting lead with a strain? Or just one post that we should all read, digest, and then say "oh, thanks for the info" to?

8. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I am as lost as a cat in a kettle dangling of the Statue of Liberty on New Years Eve with a copy of Maxim and a can of coke listening to Cliff Richard.

But thanks for the info that falling can hurt you, and that pain can hinder movements. Cheers big man!

9. 1) When lifting a weight some muscles work and others are pretty much irrelevant.

2) Benching, for example, should involve using chest, triceps, shoulders...

3) It is a well-known fact that in explosive movements - like punching or throwing a javelin - the opposing muscles will fire near the end of the movement, to prevent overextension and injury.

4) Natural athletes coordinate this better than others.

5) I had previously assumed that in a slow lift, as opposed to a throw, the activity of opposing muscles wouldn't come into it.

6) A "natural experiment", or a case study of one, has recently shown me that the opposing muscles do fire in me at least, even in a slow lift.

7) I can't quite lift what I should be able to when pushing - this might be why.

eight) If you too find that your bench isn't what it should be it might be that you can't coordinate the lift.

9) Maybe this is the reality of the "neuromuscular" adaption that people talk about.

10) Doormen should be paid.

11) If you find yourself flitting from "venue" to "venue", policing the punters and deciding who meets your exacting standards, despite your not having any such role, you might want to think about what that means. :wink:

10. I'd like to put my pipe in a crack

11. I have some very reasonable Crampons and Ice Axe combinations I could rent you.

12. i've been smoking crampons for years and still can't roller skate

13. I only ever overheard press and dip these days. I don't often have to push my fat girlfriend off me so didn't really find laying on my back pushing to have much real world application.

14. And yet the NFL still uses Bench Press as one of their main tests for rookie players.