What extra assessments do they take if your BMI is between 28-32?

Thank you for your advice. If I may ask, how long did you had to wait before re-attending the assessment centre? Did you had to all of those tests again or was it just the BMI check?

I think I was about 92kg (which gave me a BMI of ~30) when I attended ADSC. Much like yourself, I had been cutting down from a starting weight of 106kg (I played rugby as a prop forward and was hitting the weights hard at the time)

I had to wait about 4 months for another ADSC slot (this was in 2010 so recruitment was in full swing with Afghanistan being a big draw for the army) and I was made to re-do the full ADSC.

I made myself quite ill in the lead up to ADSC trying to drop weight too quickly, so I'd advise against it (I had got it into my head to cut caffeine in the few days prior to the date to assist with my blood pressure as well and ended up with flu-like symptoms with the come down not realising how addicted my body was to tea/ coffee)

cobra_24

Clanker
I think I was about 92kg (which gave me a BMI of ~30) when I attended ADSC. Much like yourself, I had been cutting down from a starting weight of 106kg (I played rugby as a prop forward and was hitting the weights hard at the time)

I had to wait about 4 months for another ADSC slot (this was in 2010 so recruitment was in full swing with Afghanistan being a big draw for the army) and I was made to re-do the full ADSC.

I made myself quite ill in the lead up to ADSC trying to drop weight too quickly, so I'd advise against it (I had got it into my head to cut caffeine in the few days prior to the date to assist with my blood pressure as well and ended up with flu-like symptoms with the come down not realising how addicted my body was to tea/ coffee)
I see. That sounds like a bad experience you had! But I am glad you have got through it. I don't drink caffeine at all so I am good in that front. You applied for Regulars? I am applying for Reserves, does that make any difference whatsoever when it comes to BMI or does it not matter at all? You probably don't know about this but I will call my recruiter soon and see what advice they give me!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Thank you for your advice. If I may ask, how long did you had to wait before re-attending the assessment centre? Did you had to all of those tests again or was it just the BMI check?
@Glasgow_Jock nails it in terms of what I was saying in post #17.

A point I'd add is that you should expect to do all the physical stuff again - it is after all a minimum standard in terms of progressing to Phase One. Your mindset should be that the tests are no problem - because you're fit enough. Weight loss might be your overriding concern at the moment but, frankly, fitness is the main aim in reality.

I see. That sounds like a bad experience you had! But I am glad you have got through it. I don't drink caffeine at all so I am good in that front. You applied for Regulars? I am applying for Reserves, does that make any difference whatsoever when it comes to BMI or does it not matter at all? You probably don't know about this but I will call my recruiter soon and see what advice they give me!

Yes I was applying for regular service. The deferral for BMI was the cherry on top for me as I had contested an initial rejection due to having had laser eye surgery and apparently not meeting certain post-surgery requirements (cumulatively it took me over 2 years to get through ADSC. Worth it though).

I'm obviously not a recruiter or involved in the medical process at ADSC though I would imagine standards would be consistent regardless of regular or reserve.

I would call your recruiter and advise that despite your best efforts you're concerned you 'won't make the weight' come ADSC and how this could potentially delay entry into the reserves.

To be honest running 3km 3 times a week you may as well go for 3 brisk walks. You are burning less than 600 calories total with your 3 runs.

Add distance and push yourself to run faster. I used to do 6 miles a day and once a week push it out to 10 to 12 miles. A mate used to do 4 miles 3 times a day when he was training for an event. Alternatively get on a bicycle for no less than an hour, head into the wind pedaling like the devil is after you.

More runs, more distance, more speed will result in more weight loss. It has the added bonus of making any run less than the training distance feel like a doddle.

If I were in your shoes I would defer. That way there would be no record of your BMI. Seriously though congrats you’ve shown some serious determination, done really well, keep it going, almost there.

And, do us a favour hey, let us know how it all turns out. We get so many kids asking for advice on here and never hear how it turns out.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Metallica at full blast, pair of jumper cables and run 220 volts between your nipples while you dance like one possessed.

Alternatively, stay away from sugar, processed foods, carbs (carrots and onions are loaded with sugar) and anything made with yeast or fermented. No vinegar or booze.

Green salad and as much rare steak and pork chops as you like, along with exercise (watch your knees - you'll need them later) and early nights in.

Prospect1

Clanker
I am in the same boat the army has recently dropped some of the standards due to lockdown etc and guns being closed

my CSM Ssent me this info

The BMI should be between 30-32 but if it is greater than 32.1 to 33.5 and your waist circumference is between 98.1 to 101.9 cm u will be ok

cobra_24

Clanker
To be honest running 3km 3 times a week you may as well go for 3 brisk walks. You are burning less than 600 calories total with your 3 runs.

Add distance and push yourself to run faster. I used to do 6 miles a day and once a week push it out to 10 to 12 miles. A mate used to do 4 miles 3 times a day when he was training for an event. Alternatively get on a bicycle for no less than an hour, head into the wind pedaling like the devil is after you.

More runs, more distance, more speed will result in more weight loss. It has the added bonus of making any run less than the training distance feel like a doddle.

If I were in your shoes I would defer. That way there would be no record of your BMI. Seriously though congrats you’ve shown some serious determination, done really well, keep it going, almost there.

And, do us a favour hey, let us know how it all turns out. We get so many kids asking for advice on here and never here how it turns out.

Good luck.
Thank you! This motivates me to push myself even further, as the others has also mentioned about walking...I have added in 6miles walk everyday from tomorrow. I will for sure keep you updated about how it goes!

cobra_24

Clanker
I am in the same boat the army has recently dropped some of the standards due to lockdown etc and guns being closed

my CSM Ssent me this info

The BMI should be between 30-32 but if it is greater than 32.1 to 33.5 and your waist circumference is between 98.1 to 101.9 cm u will be ok
Really? I tried contacting my CSM today and she just doesn’t pick up nor reply to the email.

Is this for every unit? I am going for Royal Signals...cause if this is really the case, then I won’t require to change the date. Please let me know if you have any more details?

Prospect1

Clanker
Really? I tried contacting my CSM today and she just doesn’t pick up nor reply to the email.

Is this for every unit? I am going for Royal Signals...cause if this is really the case, then I won’t require to change the date. Please let me know if you have any more details?
I won’t have anymore details than that but they’ve also lowered the beep test scores I’m guessing signals will now be 6.6 which is very low shouldn’t even need to practice to do that

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For rapid weight loss the Mayo clinic diet works well . But stop a day or two before turning up as it weakens you.

cobra_24

Clanker
I won’t have anymore details than that but they’ve also lowered the beep test scores I’m guessing signals will now be 6.6 which is very low shouldn’t even need to practice to do that
Yeah the score for bleep test is 6.6 and that is not an issue. The issue only is the BMI/Waist, if what you are saying is accurate, then I would also have no problem with it. I will contact the army tomorrow and ask them about it as my CSM is not responding to me!

cobra_24

Clanker
Bloody hell, allowing a 40in waist prior to phase 1 training?
Most likely I am guessing...they would ask you to lose the amount required and you can start phase 1 training once you have met that? But I find it hard to believe they would change the BMI requirement as it has not been updated anywhere or mentioned.

Bloody hell, allowing a 40in waist prior to phase 1 training?

I still have not reached the coveted 40 inch waist. We were all skinny fcukers when I joined, my waist was at 30 inches back then.

Go to any army surplus store and the ex-military cothing for sale looks like it was made for children.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I am on a calorie deficit atm! (1,950 cal everyday). I do workout (using dumbbells and bodyweight workouts) while running 3x a week. Losing weight isn’t the issue for me. Just worried because according to BMI, I won’t be able to pass medical so wanted to see what other extra assessments they may do.

It generally takes a calorie deficit of 3,000 - 3,500 to shift a pound - I'm betting that if you try to hit your weight loss target in the time you say you have, you'll be hanging in rags, probably injured and almost certainly incapable of meaningful physical effort. You probably want to watch bulking up as well. Although muscle burns calories, it is the enemy if weight's your issue. There's a reason why BMI is not a very good fitness indicator for rugby players and the NFL.

In your place, I'd see about getting a bit more time to implement a feasible fitness programme based on diet and sensible exercise and which doesn't require Hollywood levels of body dysmorphia to carry through.

Latest Threads