What extra assessments do they take if your BMI is between 28-32?

cobra_24

Clanker
Hey guys,
My assessment centre is coming soon and I wanted to ask if any of you guys had over 28+ BMI while attending the Assessment Centre and if so, what extra assessments do they take? (As its mentioned, they do extra assessments if you are in the 28-32 range to see if you can pass still).

I am currently sitting at 88kg (30BMI) and my waist is (96cm), I still have around 2 weeks to get this down to 84/85kg. So if anyone has experienced or know about it, let me know.

Hey guys,
My assessment centre is coming soon and I wanted to ask if any of you guys had over 28+ BMI while attending the Assessment Centre and if so, what extra assessments do they take? (As its mentioned, they do extra assessments if you are in the 28-32 range to see if you can pass still).

I am currently sitting at 88kg (30BMI) and my waist is (96cm), I still have around 2 weeks to get this down to 84/85kg. So if anyone has experienced or know about it, let me know.

I think you might have trouble losing 3-4 kg in a healthy manner over the course of two weeks.

Hey guys,

If you wish to reduce weight, look at diet first - it's incredibly hard to use exercise alone to get your weight down.

Look at plenty of vegetables, no rubbish food - a calorie deficit should be your friend. However that amount of weight in that time might not be the easiest / healthiest, as Tartan_Terrier says.

chimera

LE
Not sure you should be looking to lose 4kg in 2 weeks for a start. NHS recommends 0.5 - 1.0 kg.

1.Wear a zoot suit 24/7

2. Pile 12 duvets on top of you when you go to sleep

3. Take a bath twice a day, with the hottest water you can stand and sprinkle in mustard powder.

**** knows what state you will be in when you attend the Assessment Centre, but you will not weigh 88kg, your waist will not be 96cm and your BMI will be well below 28.

** Please do not try this at home **

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
You can make inroads fairly quickly by cutting out carbs. That pretty much means a meal of chicken with stir-fried vegetables every night, with no nice sauces. Lunches of large salads and chicken/mackerel, etc.

Cut out dairy, too, so black coffee/tea, or just lots of water.

As noted above, though, 4kg in two weeks is not a good aim. And you'll need energy for the fitness tests or you'll fail them.

cobra_24

Clanker
@cobra_24 serious question; how much weight have you lost so far, and how long have you been trying to lose weight?
I was 107kg 25th October 2020, and I do follow a diet while training at home using dumbbells as gyms are closed. Daily I am on 1,950 calories, do workouts 6 days a week, go for a 3km run every 3 times a week. So losing weight isn’t an issue as I used to be in a good shape till 2019.

I was 107kg 25th October 2020, and I do follow a diet while training at home using dumbbells as gyms are closed. Daily I am on 1,950 calories, do workouts 6 days a week, go for a 3km run every 3 times a week. So losing weight isn’t an issue as I used to be in a good shape till 2019.

Sounds good! What's your time for the 3km?

cobra_24

Clanker
If you wish to reduce weight, look at diet first - it's incredibly hard to use exercise alone to get your weight down.

Look at plenty of vegetables, no rubbish food - a calorie deficit should be your friend. However that amount of weight in that time might not be the easiest / healthiest, as Tartan_Terrier says.
I am on a calorie deficit atm! (1,950 cal everyday). I do workout (using dumbbells and bodyweight workouts) while running 3x a week. Losing weight isn’t the issue for me. Just worried because according to BMI, I won’t be able to pass medical so wanted to see what other extra assessments they may do.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I’d be trying to up the miles. Not necessarily running. Long walks are useful. But 4.5 miles a week isn’t a lot.

For reference, a good female friend has dropped 5 stone over lockdown just by cutting out the booze and walking a good few miles every day.

cobra_24

Clanker
I’d be trying to up the miles. Not necessarily running. Long walks are useful. But 4.5 miles a week isn’t a lot.

For reference, a good female friend has dropped 5 stone over lockdown just by cutting out the booze and walking a good few miles every day.
Yep I have been thinking of doing this from today. Walk 5 miles every 2 days...so thank you for your advice!!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I am on a calorie deficit atm! (1,950 cal everyday). I do workout (using dumbbells and bodyweight workouts) while running 3x a week. Losing weight isn’t the issue for me. Just worried because according to BMI, I won’t be able to pass medical so wanted to see what other extra assessments they may do.
It may be a good idea to have a candid phone chat with someone pre-assessment. It seems like you’re on a good trajectory, and you’re showing willing.

Is delaying assessment a realistic possibility? Might that not be better than potentially making yourself ill? More to the point, is a fail a barrier to reapplying quickly?

An assessment deferred for, say, three months is better than being told to come back in 12.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah thats true! Just hoping I will somehow pass the BMI check, cause even if i do be around 85kg in 2 weeks, that is still like 29 BMI which is considered as a fail according to the Army website.
See my post above about putting in a quick phone call.

The army isn’t what it was when I joined. No-one is going to take personal delight in failing you. They want you to succeed.

If there’s one piece of advice I’d offer, it’s to not be afraid to put your hand up and ask for help/advice - at least at this stage.

That doesn’t mean that you should substitute asking for help for getting stuck in and being determined to succeed once in training and in any subsequent career. But at this stage I’d have a word with your recruiter and see what he/she says.

cobra_24

Clanker
See my post above about putting in a quick phone call.

The army isn’t what it was when I joined. No-one is going to take personal delight in failing you. They want you to succeed.

If there’s one piece of advice I’d offer, it’s to not be afraid to put your hand up and ask for help/advice - at least at this stage.

That doesn’t mean that you should substitute asking for help for getting stuck in and being determined to succeed once in training and in any subsequent career. But at this stage I’d have a word with your recruiter and see what he/she says.
You are right! I will definitely call up today and get advice on it and see what my recruiter says. Thank you again.

Firstly, congrats on the steady weight loss.

I was initially deferred at ADSC due to my BMI. They took a waist measurement and it exceeded 94cm, which was the threshold at the time. Regardless of having a good run time and passing all the other tests you'll be sent home and told to get your body composition in order prior to re-attending ADSC.

I think you'll struggle to shift 2-3cm off your waist in 2 weeks, though what's quicker; you choosing to delay ADSC of your own volition or being deferred and made to wait for another date.

cobra_24

Clanker
Firstly, congrats on the steady weight loss.

I was initially deferred at ADSC due to my BMI. They took a waist measurement and it exceeded 94cm, which was the threshold at the time. Regardless of having a good run time and passing all the other tests you'll be sent home and told to get your body composition in order prior to re-attending ADSC.

I think you'll struggle to shift 2-3cm off your waist in 2 weeks, though what's quicker; you choosing to delay ADSC of your own volition or being deferred and made to wait for another date.
Thank you for your advice. If I may ask, how long did you had to wait before re-attending the assessment centre? Did you had to all of those tests again or was it just the BMI check?

Latest Threads