What external disc drive

pipes377

Old-Salt
Hi
Can anyone recommend a external disc drive for my iMac

Is it to be portable between computers or one which will sit at your Mac permanently

We use lacie 500GB SSD thunderbolt drives. They are extremely rugged and super duper fast. They are not cheap though at around £380.

Hunt around ebay and you can be lucky enough to pick one up at around £200. That's how I managed to pick up the two we have.

There are of course lot's of cheaper drives but we wanted the speed that SSD gives us and we can take them anywhere and be 99.9% certain of their reliability.

You can virtually chuck them in a camera bag and know they will be ok and they are very quick with our MacBooks.

You have to decide whether you want the speed that a SSD gives you or if you are happy with the more traditional non SSD.

For us, the speed SSD gives us can be crucial because the customer can be standing in front of us waiting to see their pictures.

It can also be boring waiting for images to upload if you are using lot's of them.

If you don't need the speed of an SSD though, the prices really come down remarkably and they are still quite fast.

Western digital does me. I have several which travel the world with me and have never let me down.

I asked the question for a reason, that being if the intention is to move files between home and work then a 2.5" USB drive will be enough as it won't be "on" all the time.

If the intention is to use it as some sort of expansion of the iMac, then a 3.5" drive with it's own power supply and cooling fan is a must due to the amount of time it will be running and how much work it will be doing.

As far as which is "best", that depends on what the needs are and what the budget is, but given that you can pick up a 3TB Seagate external 3.5" SATA drive for €120 the choice is usually along the lines of "buy the biggest one you can afford".....

I'm using WD Passport 2tb on my computers. It's a USB3 hard drive, it requires nothing more than the usb cable to connect it (so no power cables etc). Light, small, not too expensive, fast more than enough for my use.

whilst we are on the subject, the two lacie drives we use are for backing up as a second drive if you like for our macs. Our needs are going to grow quite a lot in the near future.

What's perceived to be the best way of backing up your stuff on a more permanent basis. another large external hard drive or something cloud based?

I back things up on a NAS drive which stays in the house all the time and important stuff on another drive, which is only used for backups and is locked away so my wife cannot use it . Some NAS drives are easier to use than others however as they are on your home network you can access the contents at home or even away from home providing you set it up to do so .

Time capsule for the Mac suits me down to the ground
For cloud based storage, check your internet fair usage policy (unless you buy the cloud storage from your provider where backup doesn't count)
I don't bother, I have a trickle feed as well for important folders and that goes into the rucksack so is outside the house most of the time

I would not touch Lacie with a barge pole... had too many of them (< 5) fail over the years. Not the disks inside which we mostly reused (they were Segate drives) but it was the Lacie electronics that failed. We were using them on both MAC's and PC's. Why do you think Lacie have so many sales of reconditioned units?

For something portable and rugged go for Buffalo Mini Station Extreme.
WD Passport also have a good reputation.

For desktop/Office storage we use a 6 disk Netgear NAS running RAID-6.

However much of the time these days USB sticks have the capacity to move a lot of things.

I would not touch Lacie with a barge pole... had too many of them (< 5) fail over the years. Not the disks inside which we mostly reused (they were Segate drives) but it was the Lacie electronics that failed. We were using them on both MAC's and PC's. Why do you think Lacie have so many sales of reconditioned units?

For something portable and rugged go for Buffalo Mini Station Extreme.
WD Passport also have a good reputation.

For desktop/Office storage we use a 6 disk Netgear NAS running RAID-6.

However much of the time these days USB sticks have the capacity to move a lot of things.

And yet I had a WD fail on me some time ago and the really annoying bit was that I had hardly used it. I couldn't send it back either because I hadn't bothered to keep the receipt etc.

What persuaded me was a combination of the SSD and the protective band around the drives which seems to me to be a reasonable level protection. Lacie claim that you can even send these drives through the post without damaging them.

We won't be doing that but we do carry them around in camera bags etc and they do transfer information very quickly through the thunderbolt drive.

Of course other drives have SSD etc. We also looked at Drobo mini cases but decided we preferred the Lacie on the face of it.