What exactly is a walt?

Discussion in 'ACF' started by Retreat!, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, showing my newness here, just the ACF, about a month in, haven't even got my uniform yet so please be gentle!

One thing that keeps coming up in the threads is being a Walt, Waltism, Walter McWalty etc etc. I understand it's viewed it's looked down upon, and nobdy wants to be thought of being 'a walt' but what the hell is one?

2. Google it before they find you. You may find some incoming heading your way.

3. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The name Walter Mitty and the derivative word "Mittyesque"[5] have entered the English language, denoting an ineffectual person who spends more time in heroic daydreams than paying attention to the real world, or more seriously, one who intentionally attempts to mislead or convince others that he is something that he is not. In military circles, this usually refers to people who try to fake an impressive career.

4. No uniform walt. Joking as I am sure you have not got your uniform yet. I hope you enjoy the ACF and it points you in the direction of a military career. And I hope the answers have pointed you in the right direction.

5. As someone has already pointed out, it refers to the mythical character "Walter Mitty"! However the original Walter Mitty character must be Baron Munchhausen, see here :- Baron Münchhausen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , a real life character in the 18 C whose delusions and claims led to the condition of "Munchhausen's syndrome". However that being a bit cumbersome for everyday use, Walter Mitty or walt has been used as the easier option!

6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

And a cracking film directed by Terry Gilliam

7. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Just look up "Mike Golden" in the wiki part of the site.

8. Thanks, a very detailed if somewhat disturbing explanation!

No walting here then, overweight computer jockey approaching middle age and pretty happy with life's choices.

9. Ooh that is a very BRAVE admission to make on this board.. ( or are we baiting a WAH hook..)
    :?

INCOMING INCOMING....

10. Ahh you should have been there the night an over excited arrser searched 3 blocks of flats looking for mike golden. We knew he lived in one of the blocks but knocking on random doors maybe wasn't a good plan.

11. I'm never going to live that down am i? :D

12. Being British, should we not refer to our Walts as Billy's?...Just a thought, all be it a late one.

13. There was me not naming names. It was fun and I did sort of rescue you eventually

14. Live what down??? I don't recall reading the story but do tell. Obviously, omit all the bits where you committed criminal offences...on second thoughts sod it, tell all!