What era is this from?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by jcm649, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for the really old and bold.
    The attached photos show a "Water Carrier" that was with my late fathers odds and sods. He obviously kept it for a reason, but I have no idea why.
    I do know that he was in India (NWF) with 1 Devons prior to WW2, then moved with the Regt to Burma via Ceylon.
    When in Burma he was "Wounded" or taken ill and shipped back to UK, he was then posted to another Infantry Regt for the rest of the war moving through Europe to end up at Bremen. Then post WW2 decided he'd had enough and left.
    Fast Forward to 1953 (ish), re-enlists into RASC, and off to Suez during the little shindig there.
    So basically the question is does the water thing date from his time in India/Burma, or Suez.
    There are no identifying marks on it, although its obvioulsy been well used, the writing on one side says:
    "TO BE WELL WASHED WITH SOAP"
    "AND WATER BEFORE USING"
    Other Side says:
    "TO BE SOAKED IN WATER FOR (48?) HOURS BEFORE ???????"
    water11.jpg
    Water22.jpg
    Not sure why pics arent displaying.

Attached Files:

2. Not sure about era but that's what we were issued with for Granby.

• Like Like x 1
  3. My old fella definitely wasn’t there!!

4. Called a chagul in the vernacular, dates back to... Well, days of the Raj in British Army service anyway. Probably still a few hundred thousand in stores somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  5. George MacDonald Fraser's superb Burma autobiography 'Quartered Safe Out Here' discusses the pros and cons of 'Chaggals' at length.

6. Used similar in Aden,albeit larger.Just a canvas bag with screw top.Fill with water,coat with dust/sand dangle it on your vehicle of choice,kept the water cool by evaporation....allegedly.You can see 3 dangling off headlights on this ferret.

Attached Files:

7. It's an issue version of an arab/berber type drinking thingy that, skins of water were kept wet to cool the water through evaporation.

8. We called these 'Millbank Bags'. For the purpose of cooling water as described above. Worked well.

9. Slightly red faced now as Millbank bags are for filtration, not cooling of already potable water, now believe we got issued both the Millbank and the 'Chaggals'. They do look fairly similar.

10. Its what is commonly known in the vernacular as a 'love sock'.

NCOs were issued nylon ones, SNCOs 100% Egyptian cotton and the Officers had ones made from pure silk from Thailand (or Siam as it was in those days)

Your father's looks like the deluxe model that could accommodate the sac as well as the 'old man' although this is almost definetely the British variant. The one issued to our colonial brothers in arms, particularly those from the African continent were much larger.

As the OP suggests it does look like a 'well used' example.

Good find.

• Like Like x 1