What else should I be doing?

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by A13x, Feb 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm in the process of applying for OPMI and would like any advice on what else i should be preparing for. I'm currently;

- Running to get my 1.5 mile time down.

- Working on press ups, sit ups and chin ups mainly, and also just general gym work.

- Reading up on the history of the int corps, types of intelligence and structure of the int corps, where there based around the world, the MOD and the Army in general.

- Working on my icebreaker for ADSC.

- Thinking of replies to questions i may get asked at various interviews...why you want to join etc.

- More running!

Anything else i should add to my list?
  2. Reading a good paper, or regularly updated new sites (BBC News or Sky News), daily is a very good idea. Having said that, try reading something like the Sun every so often, give your brain a chance to relax.
  3. The recommended reading is pretty good.

My transfer papers are sat on my Boss desk, Damn weather stopped me getting them today :x
  4. It might sound dull but have a look at your grammar and spelling. Practice writing short essays (not Shortt essays...) on current affairs, get on the net and start finding websites that are decent for research. Start trying to gain a background knowledge on all things military..... And, if you're cr4p at sport, find one you at least want to start playing, there's actually a lot of time for that sort of shenanigans.

Hope that's a help mate.
  5. Fredrick Forsythe is a winner.....or Shadow over babylon, by David Mason (I think?)
  6. yeh good idea, try an 800 worder on a contemporary issue !
  7. Read up on, and understand Afghanistan.
  8. Mission impossible!
  9. I didn't say it was possible, not the latter bit anyway. Should keep him occupied for the next 22yrs though!!
  10. All of the above is good quality advice. Don't sweat it though...
  11. Start reading David Eddings and get your elfen death wizard up to level 12 or above or you will be killed by the mighty hammer of .......zzzzzzzzz
    Best advice I can give is don't take it too seriously, you have one life, enjoy it, oh and do well on your MLAT as the financial package that may be coming our way is pretty awesome. Being an OPMI is only half the battle transcending to Linguist is the zenith.
  12. Do i have to have a GCSE in a modern language to become a linguist because i don't have one?
  13. No just an aptitude to learn. What does that mean? well fecked if I know just go in do the test and don't sweat it, you either do or you don't, even if you don't make it into the Int Corps there are so many different ways you can serve your country if that is indeed what you want to do. Just take your tests and see what happens no one knows what they are going to end up as just take it as it comes.
  14. No, you don't need a foreign language GCSE to be a linguist. To apply to be in the Corps you need 5x GCSE passes at C or above in an academic subject, so woodwork and needlework don't apply. One of the passes must be English Language.
  15. Right got my selection in a couple of days.

Have been boning up on the essentials Iraq/Afghanistan and such like. feel confident however for the first time in my career I actually had a bit of a confidence wobble.

Just thought it was wierd is all