What else can I use other than 'British Army' on my CV?

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by Honeymonster222, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am convinced that stating British Army on my CV has sabotaged my chances of landing any interviews lately. What else can I use as opposed to saying 'British Army'?

If MOD is chosen, what title should I use for my phase 1 training in Army Training Regiment Bassingbourn?

I was a REME VM. So should I say I was a field service engineer? It seems like I was when I read job descriptions in ads.

As an ex REME vm of 5 years, I had to use cranes and I am trained in using gantry and mobile crane, but no equivalent civvie qualifications, what can I say about that? The training was delivered in house? This is just some of the qualifications and experience I am a bit confused of to turn it into a civvie version.

2. I have difficulty believing that mentioning the British Army would have been detrimental to your chances of landing an interview. In case you hadn't noticed the regard with which the Armed Forces (and in particular the Army) are currently held has never been higher.

Out of interest - what led you to the conclusion you have drawn?
  3. You're better off substituting it for "H M Forces (Army)" it sounds more professional for a start.

Have you put each posting on your CV??!!

I have my whole Army career as one entry:

Customer facing role through equipment support, to both internal, and external units, as required.
    Responsible for the inspection, and subsequent repair of all XYZ within various units worldwide. Multi-cultural environment skills through operational tours in ABC.

Then add any relevant specific skills that are pertinent to the position that you're applying for. Mine is quite brief as my weapons skills aren't very useful in my new career.
  4. You need to elaborate in the sections where they want to know what skills you have. This is dead easy, excellent time keeping, attention to detail, good working in a team, self-starter etc.
    You will have loads of transferable skills you just need to get then on paper.
  5. Mentioning army is detrimental to my chances with women...why not employers too!
  6. I would add a paragraph albeit a short one about your experiences about balcony excursions.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. In all seriousness (for a moment) my current employer only gave me a job because he was ex-forces too. There's a lot of us about. Don't remove it from your CV too hastily.

Oh, and I think you should hand your prospective employer a copy of "Bravo Two Zero" and say "I'm in this book. Look for me. He calls me Dinger in there"
  8. The Royal Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

Sounds technical, important, not gung ho and will be known by any prospective employer who has served
  9. I ran into the same problem a couple of years ago when I left. The issue isn't a lack of respect for the Army, but a lack of understanding about what soldiers actually do. Upon hearing the word 'Army', the assumption is very often that you're good at polishing kit, being told what to do, and killing folk.

To get around the issue, stop thinking of the Army as a job, and think of it as an organisation within which you've held various different jobs. Somebody who has spent 5 or 10 years in the civil service wouldn't list 'civil service' on their CV - they'd write down every position they held, along with a description of the role and any achievements they made whilst doing it.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I've just gone through all this and until I found a pro forces employer (recruiting through right job looking for ex forces) having the army as a highlight isn't the bonus CTP would make out it is. In fact I would say that being ex forces gives you 0% chance over other applicants in the current employment market.

I agree with smudge, I changed my service to HM Armed Services and then civilianised my roles and positions as much as possible and on some CV's lumping my forces career into 1 entry focusing on trade and soft skills. Remember that regardless of who created the job roles your applying for it will be some HR android who is doing the sifting and them and the managing director do not know the difference between a LCpl and a Lt Col and do not care.

The best advice I could give is to network yourself through everyone you have served with who is out. As an ex warrant I found my biggest resource was tapping into the networks of my old fullscrews etc, they were a god send in introductions. You need to break into the hidden jobs zone through personal recommendations so get on linkedin and start tapping your address book.

Good luck!
  11. Only if you are applying to Irish owned companies.

Even If there is no equivalent qualification just describe what you did, there is surely somebody doing it in civvy street.
    Day to day operation of Big Digger, including servicability inspections, Ensuring a stringent Health and Safety schedule was followed whilst in operation. Use words like Responsible for , Overseeing, Following plans , Working with Others to produce

You have to let them know what you know.

Even if it was pulling down a wall.
    You would have to have and understood the planning that went into deciding the wall was to be pulled down and how it was to be pulled down.
    You would then have to put their plan into action. Follow the H&S stuff, Brief other as to how the task was to be done
    Brief and report as to progress, Operation of equipment etc.

Don't be scared about bigging yourself up but don't lie on your CV.

You will be surprised about what you actually know and can do when you write it down.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. In regard to getting civilian qualifications for cranes, cherry pickers etc without paying for the coarses yourself have ax look for agencies like Working Links in your local area.

If you are currently unemployed and signing on give them a ring and sign on their books. They are funded by the European Social Fund so are paid for every person they help back into employment. If you tell them what equipment you have experience with and they'll pay for you to get the tickets. PM me if you are claiming benefits as there are certain things that you can claim that the DWP don't advertise.

Good luck with it.
  13. Or failing all that advice, just write" Natural Born Killer" (that ll scare them into employing you, cos you know "where his Kids go to school". Sell yourself as a fully qualified Sweeper of Cellulose refuse, Bass-broom Operative, Shovel-Operator (Class 1 Blue Sack) , and I m sure you ll get a job as Bin-man, sweet
  14. I have a little center justified heading which says "MOD (Army)" in bold underline, the years served. Then after this I write whatever job I did in civilian terms - e.g.

MOD (Army) 1998-2005 left with exemplary conduct rating. [bolded].

Assistant Manager of a Private Members Bar 2003-2004

- one/two sentence description of role.
    - same for responsibilities/duties.
    - input a success/improvement made in role.

Telecommunications Technician blah-blah

- one/two sentence description of role.
    - same for responsibilities/duties.
    - input a success/improvement made in role.

Make sure you only put down positions etc, that are relevant to the job you are applying for - or at least try to show how stuff you performed in that role is relevant to the job you're applying for. Also, civvies are impressed by numbers - so say stuff like how many vehicles your section whatever was responsible for maintaining etc - maybe even the value of any big projects you worked on (if you got to work on any trials-type stuff for example).

Good luck!
  15. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Must admit I also usually just put HM Forces and the dates.

My job is fairly self explanatory so don't have to expand too much though usually leave out the part of being able to order beer in a wide variety of languages.