What driving license details are required for hiring a car in Spain?

Not been for a while and vaguely remember some changes , do I have to get some form or other as well as my driving license ?

The paper bits no longer relevant Issued

You need to get a doc from the DVLA (online) that basically says you've no points bans etc

Its only valid 24Hrs and in France at least they want a hard copy - cant / wont print it off themselves

@Condottiere - Further endearing SNCF to me when they cancelled all trains and said go hire a car - yeah cheers easy

The paper bits no longer relevant Issued

You need to get a doc from the DVLA (online) that basically says you've no points bans etc

Its only valid 24Hrs and in France at least they want a hard copy - cant / wont print it off themselves

@Condottiere - Further endearing SNCF to me when they cancelled all trains and said go hire a car - yeah cheers easy
French bureaucracy is something that British bureaucrats can only aspire to. :)

The only place I've been asked for the DVLA check code is the UK, hired cars in the Canaries (Spanish) and Germany a number of times this year and only needed my photo licence and credit card.

Hired a car in Poland several times since the change. Always carried a print-out of the DVLA info, just in case. Never asked for it by the hire company, just photo licence and credit card (as above).

In the Canaries all I have been asked for is my photo Driving licence, not interested in the check code mlarky, more interested in the driver control unit that plugs into the OBD socket ( Vag group vechs only ) , as b*£XI! hasnt happened no need for an IDP.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This year have hired cars in UK, Spain and USA, only needed the DVLA check in UK, elsewhere was just my plastic licence they wanted,

However Middle Miss F has booked a hire car in Spain shortly she was told if we had no dealed on 31st as planned she would have needed an international driver's license rather than a UK one.

Caution - booking your veh insurance in the UK is not recognised by many hire points at airports. That's £75 a week wasted straightaway.
I booked all the extra cover with the car hire , total price for four days £40 including the car hire ! Opel Astra or similar .

I booked all the extra cover with the car hire , total price for four days £40 including the car hire ! Opel Astra or similar .
When hiring a car in Spain be extra vigilant when checking it over for damage, I used one of the bigger companies (Hertz IIRC) and took over a car with a dent marked on the sheet. I drove the car for 2 weeks with no accidents or damage, on handing the car back the representative tried to deny the paperwork showed the dent, and ensured an hour long discussion over the matter, at which I called a manager in to intervene. He agreed that the dent was marked at the time of hire.
Subsequently a claim arrived in the post at home claiming for the dent, a missing spare wheel and tool set and the time taken for the repair/replacement costs. I refused payment and threatened to take the European HQ to court over the claim which was quickly dropped. I had photographs of the dent, the tools and spare wheel..... that is what changed their minds over pursuing a 1500 Euro repair cost. I had also taken out the Hertz full insurance scheme which would have covered any loss of excess through accident or damage.

This year have hired cars in UK, Spain and USA, only needed the DVLA check in UK, elsewhere was just my plastic licence they wanted,

However Middle Miss F has booked a hire car in Spain shortly she was told if we had no dealed on 31st as planned she would have needed an international driver's license rather than a UK one.
#

It's an International Driving Permit, not a License. You can't hire a car out or drive with that alone and you must have a national driving licence as well as it's merely a translation of yours. You can get one valid for 3 years from the Post Office at £5.50.

No need to get one yet for Europe, though.

IDP's are of various types depending when agreements were signed, Spain will require (when we finally leave the EU) a 1949 IDP which is valid for 1 year. For most of Europe there is the 1968 IDP which is valid for 3 years.

When hiring a car in Spain be extra vigilant when checking it over for damage, I used one of the bigger companies (Hertz IIRC) and took over a car with a dent marked on the sheet. I drove the car for 2 weeks with no accidents or damage, on handing the car back the representative tried to deny the paperwork showed the dent, and ensured an hour long discussion over the matter, at which I called a manager in to intervene. He agreed that the dent was marked at the time of hire.
Subsequently a claim arrived in the post at home claiming for the dent, a missing spare wheel and tool set and the time taken for the repair/replacement costs. I refused payment and threatened to take the European HQ to court over the claim which was quickly dropped. I had photographs of the dent, the tools and spare wheel..... that is what changed their minds over pursuing a 1500 Euro repair cost. I had also taken out the Hertz full insurance scheme which would have covered any loss of excess through accident or damage.
Good point about checking over the vehicle at time of renting and existing damage noted. I'm lucky the rental agent in Lanzarote is easy going and I get the pre-dented/scratched motor knowing that a ripple will be abusing it.

I will be highly surprised if they ever ask you for anything else than your license and a card. In all my travels in the EU, never had.

But get one of those code things just in case.

Latest Threads