What does this mean Please

Could one of you kind gunner people tell me what this means please, 255/81st Battery Royal Artillery. I found it today amongst my deceased fathers things on a reminder of a reunion, being a thick bootneck I know nothing about Big guns.

I have been searching all day for information on the web , but cannot find anything about this unit in ww2. I know it was Anti tanks as he was wounded manning a AT gun not long after D Day, trying to loot a tank so he said, but after that the trail goes cold, as his sign up document shows him joining the Duke of Wellington's in 1938, but records search on his number shows him as RA.

Thanks for any help guys

Quick google gets you this

Royal Artillery in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

81st Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery in the Second World War 1939-1945 - The Wartime Memories Project -

British Artillery Regiments
(scroll down to AT regiments to see details of where-when-with)

ANTI-TANK
(Detailed breakdown of organisation, tactics, equipment used etc)

British Army units from 1945 on - 81st to 93rd Regiments RA

Not much else I could find either, have you tried contacting the regimental association concerned?

Last edited:
Many thanks both, I have emailed the RA association so maybe something there. Thank you for the links , I will have a good read

Could one of you kind gunner people tell me what this means please, 255/81st Battery Royal Artillery. I found it today amongst my deceased fathers things on a reminder of a reunion, being a thick bootnec
k I know nothing about Big guns.

I have been searching all day for information on the web , but cannot find anything about this unit in ww2. I know it was Anti tanks as he was wounded manning a AT gun not long after D Day, trying to loot a tank so he said, but after that the trail goes cold, as his sign up document shows him joining the Duke of Wellington's in 1938, but records search on his number shows him as RA.

Thanks for any help guys
My dad was called up into the RA as a conscript despite being a builder and stonemason. He subsequently proceeded on to REs and Armoured Engineer Bde.
Bigger units/Corps had blocks of service numbers allocated to them and could process the conscripts before sending them to where they were better qualified or required.
REs could become artillery (chemical troops/mortars) armour become Anti tank and infantry could become armour, e.g. Dukes 8th Battalion became 145 RAC also Anti tank artillery (2nd Bn DWR etc).

ETA, RAC not RTR

Last edited:
Could one of you kind gunner people tell me what this means please, 255/81st Battery Royal Artillery. I found it today amongst my deceased fathers things on a reminder of a reunion, being a thick bootneck I know nothing about Big guns.

Thanks for any help guys
I' m ex 21/47 = 21Bty 47fld regt
thats how the shortning is done ....try thr firepower museum in Woolwich