What does SSS stand for (cdo map symbol)?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Dragstrip, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Help please. What does the SSS stand for on the map symbol for Commando forces?

Thanks in advance.
  2. i think it is ship to shore soldiers
  3. Why do I already wish I hadnt asked?
  4. Ive got the complete map marking guide on my lap but Im having problems finding SSS, the only tjhing I can see that it might be (halfway through the guide) is Sea sub surface, but I'll keep looking
  5. I think it might be in a foreign language, if that helps.
  6. I'm not certain but according to NATO AAP 6 the SSS means marines rather than commando specifically, the waves modifier shows amphibious capabilty and can be added to any kind of unit. I would imagine that the S probably stands for Sea that bit is a complete guess though. Hopefully someone who knows will be able to give us the actual answer.
  7. It's probably just symbolic waves.
  8. Thanks for the replies. I think I've found it.

It would appear that it doesnt stand for anything. The S's are in the case of 'marines' and 'naval infantry' to denote waves and differentiates from the other wavey line symbol for amphibious or maritime units.

Diagram showing symbols for units by type

I'm sure someone once told me that it stood for something; they were obviously pullling my leg.
  9. I too was told it was Ship to Shore Soldiers when I was in 3 Cdo Bde and maybe my leg was being pulled too, but to say it represents waves is even less likely - I would have thought.
  10. Except NATO is now on APP-6A
  11. My guide says APP-6(B) on the cover
  12. I know I just didn't add the A. Besides it hardly matters which version it is, it's still the same symbol. Anyway why do you care? Just trying to look clever?
  13. My vague memory of reading a book on the Royal Marines once said that it stood for Special Sea Service (SSS).

You may laugh but in WW2 they wanted to be called Special Service units but obviously 'SS' title wouldn't have gone down to well. Hence they changed to SSS. The title did not stick for anything other than the map symbol.

Why they don't change it I don't know!
  14. I wont sleep tonight until someone posts the definitive answer.
  15. Lord Lovat commanded the 1st SS Brigade during the war. I think we had a 2, 3 and 4 SS Brigades too.