What does my blood pressure mean? Help...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by JayCam, Jul 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got my blood pressure read by one of those machines in a chemist and it says its 140/74. I have read that 140/90 is the upper limit for normal blood pressure but what does 140/74 mean? I cant find an online chart that explains it clearly. Is this good or bad?

J.

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Just google it and you will find all the facts figures and other info that will send you BP soaring. If you have concerns go to your GP

3. you are going to die fella sorry.

4. How old are you ?

As a very basic rule the Systolic reading should be approx 100 + your age, the Diastolic should be around 70-80, anything much higher or lower is normally looked at a bit closer, but you can't read too much into one reading in isolation, the only way to get your accurate BP is to get it taken several times over a period of time and see what the average is, but cut down on the salt anyway just in case.. ;)

5. 140 is classed as hypertensive (ie: high blood pressure) BUT one reading like that in isolation really means feck all. BP varies widely through the day, and from person to person, so a single reading like this is nothing to panic about.

As said before, if you have concerns about it then have a word with your GP. Between the two of you, you should be able to judge whether your lifestyle is likely to be leading to problems, and what (if anything) should be done to improve it.

Above all, don't panic - worry's bad for your blood pressure, you know ;)

6. Thanks for all the replies. I am not worried as much as confused. I am fairly fit (BFT 10:18, resting heart rate 65) so I was expecting a fairly normal reading. As has been said though a one off reading probably isnt that great and I had just eaten so maybe that had something to do with it. Fitness work has been almost none for the last week due to being busy moving house so also may be a factor...

Anyone else who knows about this please comment.

PS. I am 21.

J.

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As you are still confused and have some concerns see your doctor. Just strapping on one of those jobbys can raise the blood pressure (if you know what I mean). Hoverver as a member of the zipper club, one word of advice. Just because you can run fast and think your fit does not mean your heart is ok. Just to get you worried all over again.

8. Yeah sure, I can understand that. Cheers, I will make an apointment with my GP at 9am when the clinic opens.

J.

9. Saw the doc and bought a blood pressure monitor. Seems to be white coat hypertension. Been getting home readings of about 120 over 75 with resting pulse of 55-60 which is more like what I was expecting. Docs reading was 160 over 95...

Btw if anyone is interested Boots have a pretty good monitor on offer right now: 50% discount at 24.99.

Cheers for the responses.

J.