What does life hold for ex-MPs?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jungelism, Jan 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC Link

So...MPs may end up on the same Benefits System that they've been building for the last 12 years.

Thoughts?

(This isn't in the NAAFI for a reason, does anyone actually think that former MPs will be able to find gainful employment outside Westminster?)

2. Probably go to some for of support role within the parties locally

3. I'm sure that they will have cultivated a few contacts that they can use to get jobs (directorships at least anyway).

4. MacDonalds & Lidl are recruiting at the moment?

5. Probably 2-3 years suspended or 6 months then parole.

Try dodging your Council Tax, though.

6. As I understand it, the main reason that so many are standing down now is that they have a very good severance pay deal, which is being abolished. So it is either stand down now and get paid well for doing so, or keep going and get nothing when you finally leave.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/6894889/Quarter-of-MPs-to-stand-down-over-expenses.html

In addition to the severance pay, MPs get a very good pension package, so it is not as if they will be destitute (unfortunately).

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

As said above, many MPs will have made contacts for when they are no longer MPs so that they have posts (I won't call them jobs) where they do little actual work and get paid very nicely. There will be some legal types who will go back to making a (very good) living from the Legal Aid system.
    There will be some who genuinely retire.

And then there will be those that nobody will touch with a bargepole such as Jim Devine, who will probably get a nicely paid job with Unison where he can be his usual useless self.

8. Most Labour MPs are unemployable: with their party being the most despised in living memory, and the calamitous results of their mismanagement of the country being felt for the next 30-40 years, no company (privately owned) will want to have anything to do with them and will be trying to cosy up to the Tories.

Stand by for a lot of them to get jobs in various NGOs and EU and UN bodies: the traditional homes of the incompetent and morally bankrupt (like the Kinnocks).

For the Tories that have stood down and for the few that will loose their seat, most have an income outside of Parliament. This is either through business/directorships that they held before becoming an MP, or being given work due to their connections with remaining MPs. Others hail from wealthy families so have a nice rich husband, wife or trust fund to look after them. Those not so lucky will simply do what Tories have done for years: go out and get a job.

LimpDems who loose their seats will go back to hanging around real ale pubs wearing Jesus sandals and stroking their beards while muttering how they are best suited to lead the country.

Many Labour and LibDems will try to become full time council jobworths/councillors. Thanks to Tony this is now a well paid profession rather than a vocation.

9. I've been listening to the same prog on R4 as the initial poster.

Widdecombe has it about right.

Some have made big names for themselves and will get something.

Some will go back to their former profession (Legal and medical types).

Some (especially those who don't expect to lose) will have problems.

Quite frankly the lot of them have provided very well for themselves and I can feel not one jot of concern for any of them.

10. A 9x6 room with a bucket in the corner to be emptied once a day but life isnt fair so i imagine most will get well paid non jobs

11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

My father in law was an MP. After he retired, he switched to annoying an entirely different group of people.

12. 8O the family?????

13. The parasites will not, unfortunately, get what they deserve and which many of us in this forum would choose for them ... :twisted:

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Amongst others.