what does "heavily armed" mean (if anything)?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by on_leave, Nov 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Occasionally I read about people being "heavily armed" in some publication. It has almost become a standard description in some contexts, and I often wonder whether it is being used correctly. Those described in this way usually only have rifles, or just maybe a few RPGs. Today there was an example on the BBC:

Pakistan militants firm on Sharia

They even have a sub-heading "Heavily-armed militants". I was thinking of writing to ask them whether they knew the correct meaning of this term, when I realised that I don't either. Not for certain. A confession - I joined this forum because there was something I just had to comment on, and have had no real military connection since the CCF at school (though I can still feel the kick a 303 delivers to a schoolboy shoulder!)
    So does anyone have an opinion they are prepared to share?

2. Well, for starters, it's a standard journalistic overstatement from the same school of thought that calls anyone with an AK47 a sniper. Then, I think it means different things depending on the number of people involved.

A single 'sniper' would be heavily armed if he (never a woman, of course) were carrying say a machete or a pistol as well as the AK. A group of 'snipers' would be heavily armed if they had lots of ammunition and were wearing some kind of webbing to keep it in. A large body of 'snipers' would be heavily armed if they had a minimum of one weapon each, some of which were a bit more unusual than AKs - RPGs, say, or the odd Dragunov.

And, of course, anybody with at least one belt of link across his chest is heavily armed whatever else he is carrying.

3. :D A well built hairy man with arms like a silver back :D

4. I would say at least 3 weapons
    rifle
    pistol
    knife
    otherwise

20mm cannon
    browning0.5
    and a flamethrower

Now THAT is heavily armed

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Someone with more useable weaponry than I

6. When applied to certain militias i.e. Cetniks, it means as many weapons as your frame can support but only enough ammunition for each to fire a burst in the air or at unarmed Civilians.

7. Someone with bingo-wings?

8. I think you'll find the term relates to the Hndhu God , Vishnu.

[​IMG]

9. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I'm sorry, I thought that it was someone who could not raise their arms above the parallel because they were that heavy......

Surprised of Purley.......

:wink:

10. From memory, carrying a GPMG. And the ammunition for 5 minutes' firing.

11. One step down from 'Armed to the Teeth'

12. Yer average bog-standard copper with a 9mm Glock & 2 x 15rd mags, is heavily armed by community standards. Put the same bloke into East Timor, facing militias armed with 7.62mm & 5.56mm assault rifles: now who's "heavily armed"? Not the copper, that's for sure. Whistle-up the military for back-up. They'll supply a coupla ASLAVs with 7.62mm MGs & a nice 25mm Bushmaster each. I'd call THAT "heavily armed". (But then - I'm hard to please.)

Cheers,
    Cliff.

13. That bloke in Predator with the man-packed mulit-barrel chain gun fired from the hip, he was heavily armed I reckon.

14. Is that a light role or an sf 5 mins :D .
    Dont think it means anything in particulary .I would assume lots of guns and ammo and grenades etc .