what does "heavily armed" mean (if anything)?

Occasionally I read about people being "heavily armed" in some publication. It has almost become a standard description in some contexts, and I often wonder whether it is being used correctly. Those described in this way usually only have rifles, or just maybe a few RPGs. Today there was an example on the BBC:

Pakistan militants firm on Sharia

They even have a sub-heading "Heavily-armed militants". I was thinking of writing to ask them whether they knew the correct meaning of this term, when I realised that I don't either. Not for certain. A confession - I joined this forum because there was something I just had to comment on, and have had no real military connection since the CCF at school (though I can still feel the kick a 303 delivers to a schoolboy shoulder!)
So does anyone have an opinion they are prepared to share?

Well, for starters, it's a standard journalistic overstatement from the same school of thought that calls anyone with an AK47 a sniper. Then, I think it means different things depending on the number of people involved.

A single 'sniper' would be heavily armed if he (never a woman, of course) were carrying say a machete or a pistol as well as the AK. A group of 'snipers' would be heavily armed if they had lots of ammunition and were wearing some kind of webbing to keep it in. A large body of 'snipers' would be heavily armed if they had a minimum of one weapon each, some of which were a bit more unusual than AKs - RPGs, say, or the odd Dragunov.

And, of course, anybody with at least one belt of link across his chest is heavily armed whatever else he is carrying.

I would say at least 3 weapons
rifle
pistol
knife
otherwise

20mm cannon
browning0.5
and a flamethrower

Now THAT is heavily armed

Someone with more useable weaponry than I

When applied to certain militias i.e. Cetniks, it means as many weapons as your frame can support but only enough ammunition for each to fire a burst in the air or at unarmed Civilians.

I think you'll find the term relates to the Hndhu God , Vishnu.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sorry, I thought that it was someone who could not raise their arms above the parallel because they were that heavy......

Surprised of Purley.......

:wink:

From memory, carrying a GPMG. And the ammunition for 5 minutes' firing.

One step down from 'Armed to the Teeth'

Yer average bog-standard copper with a 9mm Glock & 2 x 15rd mags, is heavily armed by community standards. Put the same bloke into East Timor, facing militias armed with 7.62mm & 5.56mm assault rifles: now who's "heavily armed"? Not the copper, that's for sure. Whistle-up the military for back-up. They'll supply a coupla ASLAVs with 7.62mm MGs & a nice 25mm Bushmaster each. I'd call THAT "heavily armed". (But then - I'm hard to please.)

Cheers,
Cliff.

smartascarrots said:
Is that a light role or an sf 5 mins :D .
Dont think it means anything in particulary .I would assume lots of guns and ammo and grenades etc .

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
You need a Hollywood AK47
Although it looks like a bog standard AK it will:
Fire 300+ rounds from 1 standard looking mag
Defeat any stubborn bonnet catch and cause the bonnet to fly over the windscreen and blind the oncoming bad guys who will hit a parked car or a hill and roll end over end
Waving it from side to side will enable you to kill all the bad guys but hit none of your own
The only drawback is every time you pick it up you must cock it whether you need to or not :roll:

smartascarrots said:

50 on the Gun ,1000 rds on the Belt kit & in the smock zippers , 1,000 + in the daysacks. Plus the Spare Barrel bag :crying: - Happy days. Used to be 6' tall not now though :salut:

Pluvia_Plumbum said:
smartascarrots said:

50 on the Gun ,1000 rds on the Belt kit & in the smock zippers , 1,000 + in the daysacks. Plus the Spare Barrel bag :crying: - Happy days. Used to be 6' tall not now though :salut:
Not to mention lying prone and unmoving for hours, freezing in your own chilling sweat while waiting for the Bn to reach the FUP. Then forgetting all about it when H-Hour came and your beloved could clear her throat.

Now there was a weapon.

Pluvia_Plumbum said:
smartascarrots said:

Approx 65Kg in Ammo alone. I take it you had some help carrying all that?