What does fit mean to you? Poll

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by oldcolt, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Resting heart rate

2. 2.4KM run time

3. CFT time

4. VO2 max figure

5. Other

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought it would be interesting to see how everyone else defines 'fit' in the military sense; following a number of threads I have been involved in/ started on Arrse. This is not a point scoring exercise but a genuine interest on how others perceive this little word that arouses so much debate.

So; how do you define fit? :)
  2. Most ARRSERS will be looking for "Large Breasts/Perfect Arse/Long Legs/Good Looking" upon seeing the word "fit"

Well at least I was anyway! 8O
  3. LMAO :lol: Should have seen that one coming.... :x

OK.... APART from the more letcherous definition, how do you define FIT?
  4. Being able to recover quickly after strenuous activity.
  5. 13 votes cast so far and the 2.4KM RRR/ BFT hasn't scored as yet. Interesting 8O

Edited to add: Can those who have voted 'other' please specify what you mean? Thanks.
  6. Being able to run from the other half while she batters you with the rolled up copy of the, I quote, Filth of FHM. :|
  7. Thank God she doesn't read ARRSE then!? LOL 8O
  8. Nah, if I let her anywhere near my laptop, I disconnect the router :D
  9. You cant define it really. If you are talking army fit then being able to run 2.4km in a decent time and being able to keep up on any tab whilst carrying whatever equipment fits the bill in my opinion.

Its like strength, that cannot be defined either. You can have a world champion power lifter who might not be able to perform one chin up. Or the gymnast who can perform an awesome routine on the rings however has never lifted a dumbell in his life.
  10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Fitness is role specific (ie fit for role) but a rough measure of it can be gained from the PFT and CFT.

The racing snake with the sub 8 minute PFT is not fit for RE if he can't lift the components of the bridging kit. The gym queen who can deadlift a DROPS is no good for the Inf if he can't manage to tab with his kit for days on end, etc, etc, etc.

Fitness is passing the minimum standards laid down in MATTs, but more importantly being fit for role.
  11. Anyone who runs faster/lifts more/does more pressups than me is a preening gym queen.

Anyone who runs slower/lifts less/does fewer pressups than me is a fat lardarse who really should get themselves down the gym.

I am just right

12. As what the other have said.

Fit for purpose.

Totally subjective. You would be suprised the amount of marathon runners and winners who cant last an hour out mountain climbing / hiking with a rucksack on and vice versa of course. Different muscles for different uses.
  13. That is my view also but, it is interesting how many people regard 'fit' as simply; fast, strong, good recovery rate, VO2 max etc. If I had to tie it down to one definition, it would probably be based on a cardio/ aerobic assesment such as resting heart rate or VO2 max. :)
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Fitness eg power/time is measured in watts against VO2 max
  15. Sadly, what I used to be, and what I'm not now, is the definition that first springs to mind.