What does Englishness mean from your point of view?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Mar 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/03/23/do2302.xml

It is an interesting article written by Stephen Pollard - a chairman of the European Institute for the Study of Contemporary Anti-Semitism.

So it is OK to use expressions like 'the ungrateful, sclerotic, subsidy-junkie nation' toward our Scottish friends. I fancy an outcry about anti-Semitism if similar expression would be used toward Britons of Jewish descent.

Is mr.Pollard an Englishman from your point of view? Or rather a Briton of Jewish descent?

What about dame Helen Myrren? She is of course a British actress. But is she namely English? (I believe that yes)

Is his Lordship Levy indeed a real Foreign Secretary? What do you think?
  2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Hope you don't mind me missing the direct questions in your post, but I'll answer the one in the question. I do not define myself as English and nor believe my self to be defined by Englishness. I do have a whole heap of associations with these islands, primarily being born in Lancashire. I think I'd define myself as a Lancastrian, and if we are talking about my indigenous/aboriginal ancestors, I'd probably go with Brigantes.

Englishness just doesn't do anything for me...the question sounds like an undergraduate English degree essay title.
  3. It means knowing you are the best of all humans.

Where all are equal you are just that little bit more equal.

You have won the lottery of life.
  4. It means being fond of boring, negative rugby. And struggling to score tries.
  5. Nehustan, of course it is your right to identify yourself as yout wish. However, English nation, the Great English nation exists, exists during centuries. Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Normans (and even some French - Gugenots) melted to form one of the most successfull nation in the history.

So the question about 'Englishness' is not senseless.
  6. It means when a plane load of Englishmen land at an airport, there's still a loud whining noise coming from the plane ten minutes after the pilot has switched the engines off.

I'll be supporting Andorra BTW.
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

You're right the question is not senseless, it is correct grammatically and contextually (until you put 'an' in ;) ). However although not senseless, it will appeal to, and most likely draw response from, those with no sense ;)
  8. That'll be all the jocks still on board moaning that the free bars closed then :thumright:
  9. 'All the Jocks'?....on a 'plane full of Englishmen'? Are you Irish?
  10. Estron (neu tramorwr, os ydych chi'n bod yn well).
    Cymro ydw i!
    :thumright: :biggrin: :thumleft:
    Cymru am byth :thumright:
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Actually I'm going to get all Theosophical and now describe myself as Hyperborean... :twisted:
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Right all we need now is someone Cornish to pipe up with some south western Gaelic and we can push the Hun into the sea ;)

(actually I quite like Germans, but that would undermine my humourous point.)
  13. As a Lancastrian - you ought to know better!

The Welsh Language was spoken here Centuries before the mongrel 'English" we now speak...the saxons pushed the Welsh over to the West and became 'the English' - at no time were the Cornish ever Gaelic - (how quaint..) - they speak a directly descended form of Welsh as do the Bretons.

Back to Topic - being English to me - is having a lovely pint of Bitter Beer,not even us Welsh can beat it.. :thumleft:
  14. Tea and tiffin old boy!
  15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well as you bring up little Britain (Breton, Britanny), as opposed to greater Britain, as part of the land dominated by the Franks, and previously inhabited by the Gauls, it might be interesting to point out that Wales, in the Frankish tongue, presumably the one that replaced the Gallic indigenous tongue (Gaelic), is known as 'Pay de/du Galles' (country of the Gauls). Quaint perhaps, but if one considers the pre-Roman north European Celtic society as having some synonymy with the loose tribal appellation 'Gaul' then I think its quite fair to brand all the Celtic/Gaelic dialects together. They would certainly share enough linguistic similarities to be considered a language group.

(edited to add that it would be a fair point to draw some differences between insular and 'continental' Celtic languages, as they are thought to have some major differences, I take it that's your point?)