What does CLASSIC stand for?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by accidentalscaley, Sep 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As in SOP Variations

2. If you are referring to the remote sensors that detect movement - Covert Local Area Seismic Sensor Intruder Classification. Great idea but generally ends up with everybody standing to all night because they get set off by animals/ overhead planes/ wind/ anything louder than a fart from 500m.

3. My best memory of Classic was relaying information to an officer in deepest darekest Bridge of Senny-ness, telling him where the"enemy" were according to this bit of uber kit... great fun watching him through the nvg's we'd blagged. He looked like a slightly mong meerkat. Apart from that, yeah, worse than useless, but I did manage to nick a shedload of AA batteries for my Walkman (what old bald men used in the past before ipods)

4. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

A bit like SPYGLASS, if you knew the kit's limitations, and deployed it intelligently, I thought CLASSIC an OK bit of kit. I don't mean this patronisingly. I spent the same first 3 months slagging it with everyone else. But once you understood what set it off, and so long as you deployed it with particular int in mind, it was bloody useful.

Eg, co-locate an infra-red detector with a seismic detector on an expected approach route (so long as you didn't think the en would pick up theinfra-red beam, which was pretty low power), and you'd almost certainly confirm movement. Or set a chain of them along a quiet road/track at 2-300m spaces, set to vehicle, and you'd recognise moving traffic as opposed to swaying trees, because of the trigger sequence.

Like all ISTAR kit, double tap it's use with other surveillance means, and it helped to cover more ground with less resources, or at least acted as a trigger.

On my last HERRICK, we could have really done with CLASSIC, or even better, a more modern version. Calm nights, very little movement or vegetation in the hills, but loads of ingress/egress routes and rat runs around night harbour locations. It would have been, er classic...

Just a thought.

dpm

5. Always found it useful. Except when having to find and lift a set from a cr@p sketch map.

6. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

Roger that!

Cold, wet and dark, with a soggy bit of papier mache for a sketch handed over by the kind souls before hand...

dpm