What does a REME platoon commander actually do?

P

PrinceAlbert

They normally sit in their office drinking brews, and fcuking up the soldiers careers below them with poor admin.

Edited to add: They don't learn a trade.

PrinceAlbert said:
They normally sit in their office drinking brews, and fcuking up the soldiers careers below them with poor admin.
Bah! Beaten to it :D

P

PrinceAlbert

thegiantorange said:
i like to think my admin is pretty good, but if that was all i would be doing the job has a little less appeal. :( i want a job where i could get out and do stuff rather than sitting at a desk all the time. or is that just what officers do?

tgo
It depends on you, the regt/wksp, and other factors. But eventually you'll be tied to a desk.

Depends where you go - A diverse bunch, worked with a few gleaming ruperts and rupertettes and some complete utter nosh bags.

As to what they do - tis a mystery. A lot of the good ones I've worked with spent their time digging people like me out of the shoite, some of the really good ones have spent their time digging people like me and themselves out of trouble. (The bad one's just spent their time showing the Police where my room was - the evil sods!) :lol:

thegiantorange PM sent.

P

PrinceAlbert

thegiantorange said:
i would be going in straight after uni so i would want a good few years of running about and field work before desking it but i understand thats where i would end up eventually.

maybe punch my CO on the day i get a desk job and get busted down to private? get back to the good stuff of digging holes in cold wet fields. :p
You'd just be asked (read - told) to resign your commission.

Digging holes....anywhere, and whatever the weather has never been seen as "good stuff"....trust me on that one.

Orange, I had a great time because REME soldiers were/are the best and it was a priv to command them. Not sure if the recruiting staff do visits but if interested you could try giving them a call.

And do remember when you are using the lads as your personal SAS detachment not to complain because they could not make it to the next checkpoint in time, afterall it only took you 30 minutes to drive there so why can't they walk it in that time?

As far as I remember a newly commissioned REME Officer is likely to spend a period attached to a Light Aid Detachment to learn the ropes. The Officer in Command of such a Detachment is called the EME (pronounced "Eemy") so the YO is known as the Eemlet.

Hope that's of some help!

thegiantorange - in my time in REME I could never quite work out what a REME officer did. A UK based Infantry LAD didn't have an officer and was run by a tiffy and even bigger LADs (with an officer) were run by the ASM and section SNCOs. In fact, when I deployed with the regiment, the EME stayed in UK (I never quite worked that out).

What the EME is supposed to do is stand between the LAD and the parent unit fielding the (sometimes unreasonable) demands on the REME and telling the Regiment that (basically) the impossible gets done straight away, miracles take a bit longer and, yes, you can have REME doing duties or you can have your equipment fixed - you can't have both at the same time!

What you are not there for is to roll up your sleeves and crawl under a wagon to repair it - you have tradesmen to do that for you. If you want to work on equipment as an officer, join the Navy - preferably the Submarine Branch.

That said, I was in one (unnamed) gunner regiment where the EME and AQMS were called into the Colonels office one day. The EME was told to watch his step or he wouldn't get any further and the AQMS was told 'get off my camp and never return' and he was gone the same day.

thegiantorange said:
i like to think my admin is pretty good, but if that was all i would be doing the job has a little less appeal. :( i want a job where i could get out and do stuff rather than sitting at a desk all the time. or is that just what officers do?

tgo
Oh dear - maybe you should get off your arse and visit a few units to find out what officers do?

When have you ever had to admin anyone other than yourself?

Your later comment about 'punching a CO' seems indicative of someone who is either extremely immature or extremely stupid; in either case perhaps you should reconsider your career choice? I'm envisaging you in a little paper hat and wearing a badge with 5 gold stars somewhere in the service industry.

muhandis89 - you are mixing your metaphors. It is either 'Rough Engineering Made Easy' or 'Royal Engineers Minus Education' (or alternatively 'Ruin Everything Mechanical Eventually').

muhandis89 said:
REME=Royal Engineers Made Easy!
No - Rough Engineering Made Easy

Edited - Dammit beaten as I typed -dunno 'bout lackin edukashun tho, sum of us hav o-levels :lol:

ugly

LE
mnairb said:
That said, I was in one (unnamed) gunner regiment where the EME and AQMS were called into the Colonels office one day. The EME was told to watch his step or he wouldn't get any further and the AQMS was told 'get off my camp and never return' and he was gone the same day.
Now I am curious. No names required of course!

That I like!!

mnairb said:
muhandis89 - you are mixing your metaphors. It is either 'Rough Engineering Made Easy' or 'Royal Engineers Minus Education' (or alternatively 'Ruin Everything Mechanical Eventually').

Ethel_the_Aardvark said:
Oh dear - maybe you should get off your arse and visit a few units to find out what officers do?

When have you ever had to admin anyone other than yourself?

Your later comment about 'punching a CO' seems indicative of someone who is either extremely immature or extremely stupid; in either case perhaps you should reconsider your career choice? I'm envisaging you in a little paper hat and wearing a badge with 5 gold stars somewhere in the service industry.
Shock horror, a lad doing his GCSEs seems to be a little immature.

Presumably 16 or younger, so obviously he should be visiting a few REME units (fitting that around his revision and exams could be part of a time and motion exercise). Personally, I'd rather he was concentrating on his education and any spare time was spent playing sport or chasing girls. I just hope the poor bugger isn't at Welbeck being absorbed into the collective (Originality is futile).

As for you, I'm "envisaging" a urine smelling armchair with a rumpled copy of the Times being shaken.

Anyway TGO, good luck, but if you want to go running jumping climbing trees more than working out new and interesting ways to organise workshop production, consider the teeth arms (ie Infantry, Artillery, or if Daddy owns Hampshire, the Cavalry).

All the Best!

They say "lean" a lot on the understanding that if they say it often enough they'll get promoted.
Eventually they then go on to reinvent the wheel.......

Unfortunately the new shiney wheel is then square.

Themanwho said:
Shock horror, a lad doing his GCSEs seems to be a little immature.

Presumably 16 or younger, so obviously he should be visiting a few REME units (fitting that around his revision and exams could be part of a time and motion exercise). Personally, I'd rather he was concentrating on his education and any spare time was spent playing sport or chasing girls. I just hope the poor bugger isn't at Welbeck being absorbed into the collective (Originality is futile).
Well I know several units that run 'look at life' or other similar activities to provide an insight for the under 16's.

Themanwho said:
As for you, I'm "envisaging" a urine smelling armchair with a rumpled copy of the Times being shaken.
I hope copying the word "envisaging" didn't strain your brain too much. :cry: I'm afarid you are wrong with your assessment since I don't read the Times; surely any self-respecting armchair soiler would prefer the Telegraph?

As far as OrangeBoy goes, perchance I was slightly harsh so I withdraw the MacDonalds reference. Good luck if you do decide to take the Army career any further (I would still advise refraining from CO punching anecdotes though :roll: ).