What does 2 (NC) BDE actually do?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Jun 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Answers on a postcard?
  2. Apart from jobs for the boys? Don't you know that the ultimate aim of this ever declining Army is to form more and more HQs?
  3. Even though it contains a regular unit.... I don't see us being snapped up to support them on ops, or by any Rsigs unit to be honest...

Sorry to bring this up again, but after completing class 1 cse, I still can't see the point it?
  4. Ostensibly to provide UK communications in the event of a crisis. Key problem is that most crises are too fast moving to allow us time to mobilise reservists to come in, and in the past we've had to use either PSI's or people who happen to be on annual camp. The HRR may make a difference if the trials work, but the reality is that under current procedures, 2 NC is a bit too cumbersome for its own good.
    Word on the street is that in its current structure its days are limited - the post nuclear attack role has gone, and apart from a small number of highly niche roles, the organisation is very much a brigade in search of a mission.
  5. From the website (that should clear things up for you:

Attached Files:

• sig.jpg
      File size:
      185.8 KB
  6. msr

msr LE

Have a look at the IT trg / quals 33 and 35 are set to deliver.

7. If we figure it out ourselves, we'll let you know ;)
  8. lol ....

It's one hell of a train set!

Sorry MSR, not on the same wavelength....?
  9. bibo,

I wouldn't bother, 2 (NC) Sig Bde is caught between a rock and a hard place. msr is hinting where we should go but that only looks after a small percentage.

Signals is a very complicated beast to look after, on the TA side you've got senior soldiers trained in the cold war and don't grasp modern ICS, you have other regular/PSI & TA seniors that want to be infantrymen, I'm not a cold war signaller and tend to favour modern practices (but like infantry side also).
  10. msr

msr LE

ECDL, A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCAS
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Polar, I take it that the Alphabet soup that msr posted is the modern ICS of which you speak. Not having a clue what any of it means, why is it so hard for some seniors soldiers to grasp? Is it going to be real trial to retrain the TA Signals? It's obvious that this is a cause close to your heart, so it would be interesting to hear how you see things going.

I think one of the reasons I transfered was that I was on the cusp of promotion to Cpl and deep down I knew that it would then be too late to do the thing that really interested me, because frankly Comms didn't. I always wondered if many of the Signals guys I knew, Reg and TA, wouldn't actually have been happier in the Infantry. Certainly some of the seniors you would occasionally run in to on exercises, did come across as frustrated grunts.

Bibo, mate you're the proverbial battered housewife who keeps going back to her abusive husband. Leave the c*nt! :D

Seriously though mucker, wasn't there an NC Bde deployment to Cyprus? I know it's only Op Tosser, but if you can't get a bite at Herrick/Telic it's better than naff all.
  12. msr

msr LE

Have you not just answered you own question?

13. That modernise's the tech trade (about time too) but I would be tempted (in the North) to share this training burden out between 32, 33, 34, 35, 37 and 38.

(If you can get on 37 Sigs ArmyNet sharepoint site, take a look at their CO's brief - they are intending to offer NVQ's during the 2nd week of camp for junior and middle managers)

ECDL should be a must have, for most class 3 soldiers from the majority of corps.

Maybe its time to look outside the box, e.g. one skill I would like ED's to have is to be able to perform infrastructure tasks such a laying Cat 5 or fibre, for operators it would be to do simple IT support such as replacing printer cartridges or topping up printers, maybe basic IT fault finding. Techs exactly how you preached.

Communication also needs to be vastly improved, something as simple as a newsletter would be great (or god forbid, use the internet). I just can't believe the RSigs have a huge resource at their disposal but fail to utilise it, Robobitch has a lot to answer for (if I could find that Arrse thread again :)), just glad she's now causing havoc in Germany
  14. msr

msr LE

Cat 5 they are going to do, likewise optic fibre and as for IT support, go on to www.dlp.mod.uk, get an account, sign up for Books 24x7 and get your dick skinners on MCDST.

15. Firstly I don't mean all seniors, some are right at the cutting edge, oddly it seems to be mainly die hard cold war warriors at fore front of modernisation.

Its not just (RSigs) Sigs, modern comms is more like the civilian workplace. Computers are at the forefront, message handling isn't (which is odd as I've become a COMCEN queen).

Its not going to be a trial to retrain RSigs, if it becomes smaller and leaner. Those that want infantry do the obvious, those that want an easy life - find the door and the remainder???