What do you think?

I've been doing a lot of reading about barrage balloons recently...

Also: Considering the way modern weapon systems are going with cruise missiles and drones, not the worlds worst idea.

I had a Ctrl-F for "ballon", the word does not appear in the document AFAICS. The are apparently "tethered aerostats" for detection purposes.

SteveLancs

Clanker
The report admits that the USA cannot defend itself against Russia or China, which I think is a first… Page 17.
“If Russia or China opted to attack with LACMs, they could do so in much larger numbers than regional powers or non state actors. For example, a single Yasen-class guided missile submarine in the Russian Navy reportedly can carry up to 32 Kalibr (3M-14) land-attack missiles. Consequently, an attack from Russia or China could overwhelm defenses that might be sufficient against an adversary with fewer missiles. “
Just over one year ago on the 3rd January 2020 the USA murdered Qasem Soleimani along with five Iraqis and four Iranians with a drone strike. Iran vowed to revenge Soleimani’s murder and on the 8th January 2020 launched a number of missiles at the Al Asada airbase. If you look here…
Iran attack highlights US missile defense vulnerability
”The U.S. possessed advance knowledge of the launches, tracked the missiles once airborne and provided its troops with early warning of their impending impact. But there were no interception options once the missiles were launched.”
So having accepted that it cannot defend either its overseas bases nor the USA itself, maybe the USA and its allies will stop pushing for war, close their overseas bases, send their armed forces home and to quote John Lennon, give peace a chance?

I had scampi and chips. Very nice it was un'all, shame I had to ruin it all by going to work. And here I sit facking bored

The report admits that the USA cannot defend itself against Russia or China, which I think is a first… Page 17.
“If Russia or China opted to attack with LACMs, they could do so in much larger numbers than regional powers or non state actors. For example, a single Yasen-class guided missile submarine in the Russian Navy reportedly can carry up to 32 Kalibr (3M-14) land-attack missiles. Consequently, an attack from Russia or China could overwhelm defenses that might be sufficient against an adversary with fewer missiles. “
Just over one year ago on the 3rd January 2020 the USA murdered Qasem Soleimani along with five Iraqis and four Iranians with a drone strike. Iran vowed to revenge Soleimani’s murder and on the 8th January 2020 launched a number of missiles at the Al Asada airbase. If you look here…
Iran attack highlights US missile defense vulnerability
”The U.S. possessed advance knowledge of the launches, tracked the missiles once airborne and provided its troops with early warning of their impending impact. But there were no interception options once the missiles were launched.”
So having accepted that it cannot defend either its overseas bases nor the USA itself, maybe the USA and its allies will stop pushing for war, close their overseas bases, send their armed forces home and to quote John Lennon, give peace a chance?
Full English breakfast to come this morning with THREE not two sausages and plenty of fried bread

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Anyone want to suggest a forum where intelligent people might want to discuss this?

You know that one of the reasons you got so much abuse is you didn't seem to want to discuss it, you simply posted a link and nothing else. It gives the appearance of being a troll, it could even be that you (or the subject) is so boring you can't complete a full comment on the link you are posting. Maybe you are incredibly lazy?
One point in your favour, you didn't just bung 'discuss' in there. That would have marked you out as a pretentious twat as well.

SteveLancs

Clanker
I thought the matter was sufficiently serious that there would already be a thread somewhere dealing with it. That's why I just posted the link.

You mention John Lennon. I've heard of him. What happened to him?

SteveLancs

Clanker
There are some very knowledgable and insightful people commenting here at ARRSE who for example provided very detailed input on the Thai cave rescues, so I can only assume that instructions from above have told them to say nothing about the US report I sent a link to.
It is an official US government report, so the only reason to ignore it is political, is it not?
Why would you guys who are on the front line when the shit hits the fan ignore it?
Is ARSSE just another political tool?

Latest Threads