What do you think Putin proposed to the Iranians?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Oct 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/18/world/middleeast/18iran.html?ref=world

It could be a plant for producing nuclear fuel on Iranian soil that would be unable to produce weapon grade uranium and would be under strict international control.

If my supposition is true then would it resolve the crisis over Iranian nuclear program?
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I agree with you that a plant that could produce nuclear fuel only and not weapons grade material would be great. It has to be backed by inspections though to ensure thats all thats going on.
  3. Does everybody believe that the Iranians are producing or are planning to produce nuclear weapons?

Or is it a case of USA and allies spreading false propaganda in the event of future military action?

Or is it the Iranians playing a big game of bluff?
  4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

No it doesn't. Putin is looking for a doorway into the ME, and he doesn't give a shoit if that means giving a potential enemy of the US nuclear weapons. After all, the belligerent tone of Putin towards the West is very cold-war after all.

I think, for him, septic involvement in Afghanistan a la Mujahideen and the subsequent bl00dy nose the ruskies got, still smarts for Putin.
  5. All Putin has to do is turn off the gas supply
  6. To who?

7. He has it running all over Europe
  8. The UN seems to think they are, and Ahmedinejad has promised war on Israel to his people, so it would be safest to assume they are planning to gain a wepons facility.

The Russians helping them with a civil nuclear capacity wouldn't solve the problem either, partly because the Russians aren't telling us whats going on but also because Russia obviously won't know about all the nuclear plants themselves.

Hopefully the situation will resolve itself though, because it looks like Ahmedinejad is going to lose the next elections.
  9. You're not allowed to say that.

George Bush says that Iran is a violent evil dictatorship and if you start spouting off about 'elections' and 'votes' then people will start to think that Iranians are normal human beings rather than spending all day at Jihad class and sitting in front of the telly in their suicide vests.

You ruin the whole concept of the 'Axis of evil' if you start suggesting things like that.

Stop it.
  10. Likely there is a mistake here. Apparently you meant US not UN. Expression 'UN thinks' means that there exist a resolution adopted by UN SC. Without it we haven't any ground to use such an expression.
  11. He proposed that Iran and Syria will continue to buy lots of Russian military hardware and in return he'll back them diplomatically. He also wants a naval base in Syria for his revitalised Mediterranean Fleet.

Putin wants to keep the pot boiling but doesn't want a major conflict. He may even have recommended caution and patience to the Iranians on the nuclear issue. It is not in Russia's long term interest to have an emboldened nuclear Iran stirring up trouble in Central Asia.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Well how about some at the UN then? Anyway isn't UN and US inter-changeable these days? :)
  13. Some politicians in Washington indeed think that their opinions are opinions of so called 'international communitity' or UN's opinions.
  14. Where exactly has he done that? I'd be interested to see where he made the declaration that his intent was war on the state of Israel?
  15. http://www.adl.org/main_Anti_Semitism_International/ahmadinejad_words.htm

Not exactly what you requested but the guy does have history enough to make me very concerned where I an Israeli.