what do you think about college and TA??

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by jd90, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, im new to this forum so bear with me. ive just turned 20 and am going back to college after working full time for 2 years, now i tried for the TA about 4 month ago but was deffered on the medical due to not being 4 years clear of my last inhalor. Now i will be clear in october and have been invited back by the TA unit i applied at. The question is how much work is involved in the first year in the way of training etc. I will obviously have to balance it with a college course, do you (as serving members) think it is feasable??
    thanks in advance.
  2. Im guessing you dont do college on weekends and evenings so im sure you'll be fine. I was when i was in college a few years ago.
  3. I don't, I tend to think about sex an awful lot.
  4. As a "student" you will have lots of free weekends and afternoons, then a big empty summer to fill so go for it. Im at university and balanced it with joining the Naval Reserves, though Ta will have a bit more to do.

You will only regret it when you have to try balancing it with WORK!! lmao
  5. A lot of guys in my pl are either students or recently-ex-students. They seem to get on fine, and no-one surprised when they disappear for a month or so in exam season.

As long as you keep your unit in the loop about what you can/can't do and when, you'll be fine.
  6. You can balance student life and the TA fine. What capbadge do you want to join
  7. Why not join the Infantry?
  8. Remember to fill in a P38 if you decide to join or you'll end up paying tax on your TA earnings.
  9. Defintely go for it. As your a student now's the time to get your recruit training out of the way. It can take a lot of time and a student's timetable is more flexible than when you're in full time employment. Plus you'll get paid for it!
  10. I was in the UOTC and later the TA while at uni. If you are eligible to join a UOTC then it may be a good option if you are concerned about juggling commitments as they base their training programme around the academic term. As for the TA, I managed to fit all my officer training around my uni studies which is far more intensive than just recruit training. As long as you don’t have a major commitment to any other pursuits or have an obsession with excessive TV watching then it should be easy to juggle the two. And also if you are ever bogged down with study around exam time, you just have a month or two off TA training. There are students in my sqn who I haven’t seen since Easter because of exams.
  11. I found TA and college fitted together very well '97-'99, plenty of time off in the summer for annual camp, and the bounty comes bang in handy when you're on a students wage...it may have changed since of course!
  12. its an engineering regiment im going for, and by the sounds of it plenty other people have done it so i dont see why i cant. How muh more work is it if i decided to apply for an officer, i would like to apply for officer after my degree, hence i would like some experience prior to that.
  13. Has commitment always been a major hurdle for you?