What Do You Miss ????

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Jul 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what do you miss about the corps nowadays the gents/doris' :?: :?: :?: :?:

for me personally it must be MGB. as a veteran of three bridging teams i really really miss throwing those chunks of metal together at breakneck speeds it used to sort the wheat from the chaff.

what about you older & bolder amongst us :?: :?: :?: :?:

2. Rangers, elsies etc. Going to the Balkans because you could go out on jobs without having 120 infantrymen protecting you.

3. Tunneling and well drilling.Man's work!!

4. Tsim Sha Tsui. Red Lips. Wan Chai.
    :cry: :cry: :cry:

5. Proper bridge dems including measle shafts & all the bollox.

6. Knocker, plantlife I agree with everything you said how about also when people with 'personalities!' were looked on as an asset to a troop rather than a problem for the troop management!!!!

7. tours where you could have a couple of beers, be treated like a grown up and left to do your job without interfreence from a load of self important high-ranking tw@ts who actually have no clue what it is you do!!! *soapbox away!*

8. should read interference-'damn these bratty fingers!!'

9. Agree with you there G_O_S. Also not having a troop full of admin cases trying to weasel out of tours/exercise/guard etc because (insert suitable dead relative/pet/friend) has died and and they are depressed. I'm not being synical. Whilst guard commander I had a guys (who was awol) mum phone up and asked if xxxxx could stay at home because he wasn't feeling like himself!! WTF!

10. Mine tape reelers, the most sought after bit of kit in the G10, followed by boning rods. I miss the fullish Tp most of all though, its all Lance Jacks and no Toffee Wrappers at the moment, leading to a grand total of 6 blokes.

11. Grumpy old 18 year sappers with the bollox to tell it how it is, instead of kiss arrse idots who do nothing but swallow tadpoles to get ahead and make sure that your hard work is thought of as theirs.

12. do not even have to be sappers JUST blokes who are willing to stand up & tell people how it is, never harmed me unless you count being bust (twice :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ) BUT that is character building is'nt it :?: :?: :?: :?:

13. proper field squadrons NOT that fecking tankie bollox.

14. A long long time ago on a planet far far away I spent 2 years attached to 35 Engnr Regt in Hameln (told you it was a long time ago!) . We went away on exercise in the Hartz mountains (told you it was a long time ago) At that time I used to be a chef, but was getting a bit bored when one of my Engnr mates came in for scoff and saying that he was short on manpower due to a couple of injured colleagues. Long and short of it was I spent the hardest working most enjoyable 3 weeks of my attachment. Putting up Bailey bridges in the dark (none of your drops vehicles, oh no, all the kit came on the back of four tonners, anchored to a scimiter or whatever and dragged off the back of said four tonner. I remember running across the bridge, at an angle to counterbalance the weight of the centre bits we were carrying and hoping my feet did'nt slip. Some staffy kicking me *********** cos i wasnt quick enough putting pins into the A frame, then apologising when he realised who i was.
    Even better when we broke down by a trout farm and caught trout in the river running alongside and had them for dinner. learnt what a bar mine was and what the whole point of the exercise was. ( route denials, killing fields etc ) which as a chef you always wondered what the hell the whole point of the exercise was.
    Like I say I had a great time, worked my gonads off, learnt the meaning of teamwork and made a decision never to transfer to the Engineers.
    Thanks guys wherever you are

15. Thats some feckin character :twisted: :twisted: