What do we want from our politicians?

IMHO honesty has nothing to do with it. Politicians are incapable of it especially after reading Machiavelli. However the interests of the country should be paramount. These days we've all gone soft. Failed Politicians in the past often had their lives ended, particularly if they lost as it meant that their mantra had failed. Nope the internet age has dawned, we can vote for ourselves, the problem is what to do with a whole class of little darlings who no longer have a function. I rather like Wellington's approach "Publish and be damned". And yes I have upset one of them. I'm rather proud of that.

I would like politicians to show conviction, to actually stand up and fight for something other than just re-election. I might not like what they stand for, but I might actually respect them.
What we have now, is a travesty, a self serving group of sheep that will do almost anything to stay in the HOC. They have no real interest beyond what makes them look good in the media and to the 'party'. I want politicians who will fight for what they believe in, hopefully the UK, not thier next pay day.
I’d agree with that and go further, short termism seems to be the order of the day with our current political parties, it seemed to be particularly bad though under Blairite Labour.
Our politicians should have the nations long term interests at heart first and foremost and not their party or self. I hate the way that short term decisions have been cynically made so that incumbent goverments can say “ Hey, everything is hunky dory under our stewardship” whilst knowing full well that some of the decisions they’ve made are unsustainable and ultimately make the country worse off in the long term. See PFI for an example.

I’d agree with that and go further, short termism seems to be the order of the day with our current political parties, it seemed to be particularly bad though under Blairite Labour.
Our politicians should have the nations long term interests at heart first and foremost and not their party or self. I hate the way that short term decisions have been cynically made so that incumbent goverments can say “ Hey, everything is hunky dory under our stewardship” whilst knowing full well that some of the decisions they’ve made are unsustainable and ultimately make the country worse off in the long term. See PFI for an example.
About 99% of Tony Blair's actions were devoted purely to keeping him in office and f**k the consequences.

I want them to stop moving about so I have a clear shot. After all I don't want to injure an innocent bystander.

I wouldn't piss in their mouth if their teeth were on fire. Watching my country sold off, dis membered to the highest foriegn bidder over the last 40 years or so, while the self serving greasy pole climbing, venal, money grubbing wastes of skin, award them selves massive pay rises, take the piss with their expenses, tax, mortgages, and tax payers funded perks. If Joe public done a fraction of their illegal, pre meditated money grubbing, they would be in prison. " If it pleases your honour, the £35,000 I embezzled was a mistake, if I pay back a fraction is that ok?" Sure, no problem, on your way" THAT'S what pisses every one off.

Last edited:
How about common sense, an understanding of how society works, and an ability to listen?
Don't be so bloody silly. When has a carrer politician had any interest other than his own climb to stardom. Once in the exclusive self serving club, protected by their own wall of privilege, conceit, and their pals in the square mile, they until found out by plod, or another knife welding MP, are bomb proof.

This one looks more like 1930's than modern day............
1518351266709.png

But he does reproduce well

Anyone else noticed the utter moral bankruptcy at the heart of the left wing ?

Tweet from a Labour MP on the resignation of Brendan Cox, alleged to have physically assaulted a woman

That's it. That's the extent of her support for women sexually harassed and assaulted by a Labour politician.
I'm pretty sure you can remember the shark infested feeding frenzy this crowd of bigoted hypocrites went into over some pretty nasty words said by an idiot.

Where is the moral equivalence in nasty words and physical assault ?

Echo On

On ROPS
On ROPs
Almost all of them are akin to a species of consultant, who look and talk like they know what there doing, even when they don't. They also give one the impression, they are working for someone other than the electorate, excepting the six months of a GE period when there desperate to get there contracts renewed.

Honesty, morality, servitude, integrity, and honesty.

Not much to ask you would think, They should be a given for anyone entrusted with directing the country.

Our problem lies in the Institution people end up working under carries very little of the above.
The modern-day politician just falls into place and has very little reason to hold much, if not any of the aforementioned.
They only ever like to be seen doing anything when their seat is under threat or somebody attempts to disrupt their trough feeding frenzy.

We have given them too much money to play with, And they are screwing us over.

And a fanatical devotion to the Pope..
Well that is better than a fanatical dedication to either Karl Marx or Adam Smith, or indeed the party whips.

I think reasoning ability has to be high on the list, as they get to hold Government to account (if not forming Government themselves) and vote on laws and policies.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I've only just noticed this thread and to answer the question of the threads title.

Mass suicide, bye bye, :wave:

Well that is better than a fanatical dedication to either Karl Marx or Adam Smith, or indeed the party whips.

I think reasoning ability has to be high on the list, as they get to hold Government to account (if not forming Government themselves) and vote on laws and policies.
I agree with you but my comment was an observation on the addition of a new expectation to our three main expectations.

I am old enough to remember Monty Python when they were young and funny.

I agree with you but my comment was an observation on the addition of a new expectation to our three main expectations.

I am old enough to remember Monty Python when they were young and funny.
I didn't expect this thread to turn in to a kind of....