Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we have, or do, in terms of MILITARY KIT that is REALLY good?

Yep. Because
1. The thread is what do we have..ie current stuff; and
2. It wasn't as good as fat alcoholics on the internet like to believe.

On point 2 I think you might have to go into protective custody to guard against the large lynch mob now assembling. Their anger not, I hasten to add, being about the fat alcoholic comment but dismissing THAT rifle as you have? This is a sign of someone with a death wish.

On point 2 I think you might have to go into protective custody to guard against the large lynch mob now assembling. Their anger not, I hasten to add, being about the fat alcoholic comment but dismissing THAT rifle as you have? This is a sign of someone with a death wish.
Large is the important word there.

As long as I am able to move more rapidly than an injured sloth, I should be able to keep ahead of them. If they get too close, I'll throw a National Defence Medal into their midst and watch them turn on themselves.

44 patt aluminium water bottle with aluminium mug and carrier.

You apply a small piece of black carpet tape around both sides of the mug and you are ready to rumble!!

You can cook in the mug or boil water in it, eat from it, drink your tea or coffee from it and brush your teeth and have a shave from it. It’s also conservation friendly to clean because you just pour a very small amount of water in the bottom of it, flick your wrist a couple of times to swirl the water around it and then empty the water and it‘s clean enough to go again.

The bottle, mug and the carrier are extremely lightweight and I suppose, if the worse came to the worst, you could try bashing an enemy over the head with it. You might at best worry him and if there was some water in it, he might even lose his bottle and run away. You never know, it might happen on your lucky day?!

Of course the absolute stunner of the whole ensemble is the carrier. It just looks like the most ally piece of kit on your belt ever!

There is only one thing more useful than a 44 patt water bottle with the mug and the carrier.

That’s two 44 patt water bottles with mugs and carriers!

Twice the capacity and also twice the allyness!
Add the kukri to the 44 pat pouches

I’m a fat alcoholic from BAOR and I didn’t care much for THAT rifle.

I much preferred THE rifle from my days in the Thatcher Youth.

ba316a87763c41a6c05ad36d1577b388.jpg

And the LR Defender
Considering it's in reputation for being unreliable several countries bought it right up to the end of production. Italian coppers love them. Even the french have a few and intend to keep them as long as possible or at least until the french built grenadier comes on line

that's because Italy and France love to throw money at them to keep them running (and somebody is probably getting a brown envelope in the process)

As long as I am able to move more rapidly than an injured sloth, I should be able to keep ahead of them. If they get too close, I'll throw a National Defence Medal into their midst and watch them turn on themselves.

It's heartening to note that the Army isn't chock a block with fat cnuts now.

I'd imagine it would end up rather like this

Chef

LE
Biscuits AB - edible forerunner of Osprey.

Could also be thrown like a spinning stone as a last-resort CQB weapon.
Or a late variant of dwarf bread.

Yes I am reading Pratchett at the moment.

CC_TA

LE
The WF Stanley G150 Prismatic Marching Compass
sc1076a.jpg

I saw several of these in a surplus shop in the late 80s. They all had minor faults, bubbles in the liquid cell, dead GTLS lights etc. £10 each

I remembered that I used to work near the manufacturer in New Cross. Checked to see if still producing. Yes. Do they do servicing of their products. Yes. Full service, £25 + P&P.

So for £35, I got a fully serviceable G150. Still using it today, and a local watchmaker renewed the GTLS for me a few years ago for £30.

You can stick yer GPS up your arrse, mate. I've got me a G150

I'm refurbing a couple of prismatics at the moment. They have some of the best paint jobs in military history :)

Bubbles are easily removed, buff them up, engrave them and they make great presentation pieces.

I've never worn it myself but talking to those who are paid to wear it, I think the modern MTP clothing is something we would have killed for back in the 70's. Thinking of the times we were cutting about in Shirt KF, the heavy DPM jackets & trousers, with DMS boots and puttees, the current issue kit seems like paradise.

It’s probably the same thought Tommy Atkins had when he was issued his first pair of boots that were made for left and right feet, instead ones made from the same last which could be worn on either foot.

1607789982796.jpeg

Pigstick, great bit of kit - simple, effective and reliable