What do they expect the Foreign Office to Do?

D

Deleted 60082

I know this was covered when these chaps (veterans,bloody heroes the lot of them!) were detained by the Indian Authorities about a year ago for entering a port without declaring weapons etc.

However, the charges were dropped in Court, but the Police are appealing against this; accordingly these civilians are being held pending a ruling by the High Court

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-29483779

There is prima facie evidence that the Sea Protector was operating illegally in Indian Territorial Waters, albeit claiming to seek storm refuge; the chaps were arrested and due process has followed - and still they are held lawfully under Indian law, pending this review of charges.

I've dealt with Embassy and Consular staff in various places and they have filled me with horror stories of how stupid Brits abroad expect HMG to bail them out for stupidity. Consular services are limited to providing access to a local lawyer and (perhaps) a limited translation and notary service, but that's about it. The FCO will get involved when arrests/charges/detention are politically motivated or there have been blatant miscarriages of justice or evidence of sytemic corruption. But in this case the Indian authorities have applied their law correctly; it might happen to be different from ours. It seem one chap is upset that the FCO won't pay for a Hotel Room (not surprising, he wasn't in the RAF); honestly, what do they expect the FCO to do? Threaten to go to war? What do other Arrsers think? Is mentioning that he is a veteran relevant?

PS: Is that a DAS (married quarter) 'new pattern' side-board in shot when the sister is interviewed. On base somewhere?

Australian, but similar'ish:

A BATTLE-HARDENED soldier and security adviser said he was kept for 24 days like a caged animal in a crowded, rat-infested jail crammed with murderers.

Former SAS corporal Paul Jordan suffered his ordeal in India after accidentally straying a few metres over the border from Nepal.

He has put hundreds of journalists, businessmen and government officials through rigorous courses on how to survive in hostile environments and war zones.

Back in Sydney yesterday, he admitted he broke his own cardinal rule of always being aware of exactly where you are and what is going on around you when a rickshaw he was in strayed from Nepal into India.

"Suddenly this border official screamed at me and told me I had committed a terrible crime. It turned out the rickshaw had carried me about two metres across the border," Mr Jordan said.

From here -----> http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/my-24-days-of-hell/2008/06/21/1214009173852.html

It might make you think that the Indians are trying to send a message to the former imperialist "occupiers". Or that they are just bloody minded.

As to anti-piracy and guns onboard ship in territorial waters: I had a chat with a nautical bloke years ago and he told me that there were a few owners with MP5's and shotguns onboard their vessels. The drill was to then lock up the firearms when entering territorial waters in a secure safelike cabinet which had to have a seal applied to it. Thus acknowledging but exempting the owner/operator from any wrist slapping. Only what I was told and there was a TA Para who was also a serving customs officer [ID] in the room at the time and the bloke telling us did offshore salvage in some dodgy places.

I can only imagine that as this was a septic run ship with the septic attitude to all things firearms they were all 5.11'ed up, toting pistols in thigh holsters and slinging AK's or M4's. Which to be honest would piss me off if I was a plod in India.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 60082

No, I think it the small matter of foreigners turning up with all manner of unlicensed weapons and thinking they'd get away with it, because the locals are, well Indian.

You replied a bit quickly there as I was adding to my original post.

D

Deleted 60082

Yes, well, I'm marking time in some foreign hell-hole, waiting for the Oxbridge Types from King Charles Street (Whitehall/FCO) to spring me for being a silly billy.*

* Some of this is accurate.

We should despatch a gun boat immediately and summon the Indian ambassador to a powwow.

I'm assuming they have had their passports confiscated by the locals so they can't even accidently wander into Pakistan or Bangladesh and then catch a plane home.

D

Deleted 60082

You replied a bit quickly there as I was adding to my original post.
In which case I full concur with your post. Many years ago as a post-graduate student I traveled on several merchant ships conducting some research and the Captains had gun-safes, with a couple of shotguns in them; principally becasue they didn't trust the crews. Bay class Container ships, by the way.

D

Deleted 60082

We should despatch a gun boat immediately and summon the Indian ambassador to a powwow.
Gosh, has India left the Commonwealth? Perhaps a word with the charming Sandhurst-educated Defence Advisor might eba better prospect!

D

Deleted 60082

I'm assuming they have had their passports confiscated by the locals so they can't even accidently wander into Pakistan or Bangladesh and then catch a plane home.
In which case India would be well within their rights to seek their extradition. Probably why the authorities have held on to their passports.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Jus

Yeah and be excessively polite and apologise for all the bother :)

Gosh, has India left the Commonwealth? Perhaps a word with the charming Sandhurst-educated Defence Advisor might eba better prospect!
Don't be ridiculous there's only one thing these foreign upstarts understand and that's the might of the Royal Mavy.

No married quarter furniture gurus in yet then?

Looks more like solid oak to me.

Selection_038.png

I think people who say gosh are poufs.

well, that's a helpful response. Do you think the UK should help out these people who may have broken local laws?
Who cares about their heathen laws, are you some kind of namby pamby pinko liberal?