What do Officers want in a NCO?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Red_Troop, Nov 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The former's tongue in the arse of the latter for saving the formers career YET AGAIN!!! :twisted:

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

A gag.

3. The ability to read a map.
    To prevent an officer from ever seeing a map, let alone attempt to read it.
    The ability to let an officer think that he/she is in charge and that he/she thought of the orders being given on their behalf.

4. a physical part of their body

5. I'm guessing most of the above haven't had there careers managed and are still Ptes because they have never had a CR written on them????? To be so disparaging about officers show a lack of foresight - or you have have been really unlucky and had a host of really shit ones. But what about the officers who have to put up with shit soldiers???

In answer to the question:

Balls!!! The balls to do the right thing whatever the situation.
    Ability to think for themselves - at times with little or no information
    Loyalty

6. Loyalty, honesty and no surprises

7. They'll get what they're given and like it.

8. Ability to make Tea, white, one! Thanks Damian !!!!!!!! You know who you are :lol:

Edit for mong spelling

9. A centre parting..........nice boy

10. Driver - "Here you go Sir, your sausage sarnie."

"Thanks Bombadier................ Bombadier, there appears to be some dirty oily fingerprints on my sandwich."

"Aye Sir, it's still a fvcking sausage sarnie though"

"Quite, thank you Bombadier."

11. I heard it described as "the ability to put out the fire", to tackle a situation no matter how unfamiliar and deal with it. Also moral courage, to stick to your guns when you know you are right, very difficult I know but .........not all officers are stupid or bastards. I would always support an NCO who was difficult but right as opposed to one who was helpful but wrong. The difference is obvious! I would also say that the majority of NCOs I worked with were difficult but right - they had pride in themselves and their job.

12. Interesting - the other thread, which I presume was answered mostly by NCOs, was that Officers should listen to advice.

IMHO the very best NCOs should be able to convey their opinion with the subtlest of looks. There is little requirement for the Officer to listen - he is left in no doubt as to what is thought of the current situation without recourse to words, subsequently the Officer (if he is worth his salt) will enquire as to the full extent of the NCOs opinion and seek his advice.

The best NCOs do not need to shout about how they need to be listened to because they invariably are.

Of course this is only my opinion - but you asked for opinions and for what little it is worth that is mine.

13. Fullsome red lips, a nice bum and "come to bed" eyes...

14. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Moral courage at all times to do what is right, including telling your boss he is wrong. (Most of them have this but some don't and, as an aside, plenty of JNCOs could learn from those that do).

The ability to accept criticism and learn from it (not all SNCOs are A+ grades and deserve to be promoted - just like officers).