What do Officers want in a NCO?

The ability to read a map.
To prevent an officer from ever seeing a map, let alone attempt to read it.
The ability to let an officer think that he/she is in charge and that he/she thought of the orders being given on their behalf.

PCLG

Old-Salt
I'm guessing most of the above haven't had there careers managed and are still Ptes because they have never had a CR written on them????? To be so disparaging about officers show a lack of foresight - or you have have been really unlucky and had a host of really shit ones. But what about the officers who have to put up with shit soldiers???

In answer to the question:

Balls!!! The balls to do the right thing whatever the situation.
Ability to think for themselves - at times with little or no information
Loyalty

Ability to make Tea, white, one! Thanks Damian !!!!!!!! You know who you are :lol:

Edit for mong spelling

A centre parting..........nice boy

box-of-frogs said:
Ability to make Tea, white, one! Thanks Damian !!!!!!!! You know who you are :lol:

Edit for mong spelling
Driver - "Here you go Sir, your sausage sarnie."

"Thanks Bombadier................ Bombadier, there appears to be some dirty oily fingerprints on my sandwich."

"Aye Sir, it's still a fvcking sausage sarnie though"

"Quite, thank you Bombadier."

I heard it described as "the ability to put out the fire", to tackle a situation no matter how unfamiliar and deal with it. Also moral courage, to stick to your guns when you know you are right, very difficult I know but .........not all officers are stupid or bastards. I would always support an NCO who was difficult but right as opposed to one who was helpful but wrong. The difference is obvious! I would also say that the majority of NCOs I worked with were difficult but right - they had pride in themselves and their job.

Interesting - the other thread, which I presume was answered mostly by NCOs, was that Officers should listen to advice.

IMHO the very best NCOs should be able to convey their opinion with the subtlest of looks. There is little requirement for the Officer to listen - he is left in no doubt as to what is thought of the current situation without recourse to words, subsequently the Officer (if he is worth his salt) will enquire as to the full extent of the NCOs opinion and seek his advice.

The best NCOs do not need to shout about how they need to be listened to because they invariably are.

Of course this is only my opinion - but you asked for opinions and for what little it is worth that is mine.

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
Moral courage at all times to do what is right, including telling your boss he is wrong. (Most of them have this but some don't and, as an aside, plenty of JNCOs could learn from those that do).

The ability to accept criticism and learn from it (not all SNCOs are A+ grades and deserve to be promoted - just like officers).

In my experience, the ability to offer an honest opinion is rarely lacking in NCOs. :oops: What is really fantastic, however, is not having the holes in your plan pointed out to you, but having them filled by an NCO who takes on the task and see its through with the minimum of additional further guidance, the maximum amount of initiative & plenty of good humour. Having the confidence that your slightly vague intentions will be sensibly interpreted and put into real action, quickly, effectively and professionally is as much as you can ask for - the mutual trust/loyalty thing.

That and not gobbing in your tea.

360 degree loyalty is always nice but not often found...

Someone they can both trust and rely on. Clearly this is a bit of a 'wide ask'. What rank the officer? What rank the NCO?
As a Platoon Commander he wants from his Sergeant - a wise counsellor, the benefit of his experience, humour and understanding, someone who cares and finally, a friend. From the Section Commanders and 2 i/cs - all of the above to a lesser extent perhaps as well as reliability, honesty and enthusiasm.
I commanded a platoon of one form or another for over eight years (Rifle, Recce, Recruit, Drums). Many of 'my' NCOs still in touch. Several are proper friends and some are like family, some 25 years later.
Salt of the earth!

My Dad (a sapper) once told me your troop sgt is a surrogate Dad.

As with all young men I though this was the deranged rambling bollocks of my old man.

Then I got a platoon sgt and saw he was right. He's your right hand, your conscience, your wisdom and the checkpoint for standards. Like your Dad he gets you on your feet and then you move on - but if you play it right he becomes a lifelong friend which mine did.

Mine also used to deal with 'matters' in a very rapid and private fashion, which tended to end with 'sorted boss'. He also had a bizarre mix of Drambuie and port on tap somehow at all times and locations. He also worried the OC which was funny.

Loyalty, tolerance, sympathy, encouragement, honesty and when the time comes respect.

I almost sound like I miss the b@@tard...