What do ex Army air corps soldiers do for a living?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by robbo2347, Feb 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

just curious about what ex AAC soliders do for a living when they leave the forces? What Quals can you get through them, and what opertunities does the Apache offer the guys now, for when they get out?

Thanx very much

Robbo

2. Fitting missiles to helicopters or shooting out of them presumabely.

Or they could get...

Driving - HGV, Hazmat, tpt management.

Stores - MHE, Health and Safety, logistics management.

Comms - all that kind of good stuff.

Mil instr - Training and dev of personnel, CBRN.

Heli side - marshalling and loads? Refueling of helis. Might be good for the rigs.

JCLM and SCLM - give civi quals in managment.

Admittedly if they don't look at where there career is going they might end up stuffed but one thing many lads I know in the AAC do say is that it has a diverse career.

With the use of ILCs and ELCs, not to mention all the courses available to you through the Forces anyway, no one (from any trade) should leave the Forces and only be able to write "steally eyed dealer of death" on their CV.

There are trades that lend themselves more to leaving than others, but there are always oppurtuinities for advancement.

3. Petrol Pump attendent ?

4. HA HA :p

Or they could join the RAF.

5. In some cases (no names, no pack drill) they 'do' anything that can't flee fast enough.

6. I left the Army Air Corps thinking the world owed me a living.

I PVR'd and went for 2 yrs on the BG circuit. That went pear shaped and went well and truly fcukside up and potless.

9 years in I assumed I would walk straight into a decent middle management job, on going to the job centre in a Gucci suit, highly polished shoes I stood out from the smackheads and terminally lazy and assumed I'd be on the next train to BAe to take charge of something big and tasty....... in reality I wasn't prepared at all and the realisation that everything I'd done in the military was of no use whatsoever, and the speccy turd at the job centre almost delighted in telling me....... (I got my own back a year later when working the door I managed to get nearly all my right thumb in his eye :D)

A few of the fella's went on to get well paid jobs in the Networking and planning side of the Mobile phone industry but I ended up having to make a choice, of either going for it on my own, taking a series of crappy jobs in an attempt to empire build or settle for 300 quid a week working for other clown in a non skilled environment.

Provided you have faith and confidence of your own ability and provided you aren't afraid of hard work and long hours there is plenty of money to go around..... you just go through the mill to get it.

Would I join again? Yes of course, in an instant..... JLR was the best thing that ever happened to me.... You go in a spotty stinking teenage boy and come out with moral values, fitness, confidence big balls and a huge sense of achievement. One that you never forget and remains with you.

Would I do nine years again? Probably not...... I joined to fly Lynx helicopters and when I couldn't gunning was never going to be good enough and even the thought of being top of my game did nothing for me.

Some of the pals I made are the best I've had, some of the people I met were the biggest tossers...... its the same in any job.

The only thing being a Corps member does is make you a magnet to chicks..... sadly loads of them are ugly, but you can practise on them

7. Why not try doing what you did whilst in the AAC which you were all very good at i believe

masturbating :D

8. Question: Are you in now or about to join?

If you are thinking of joining the AAC, it's not unreasonable to think about life afterwards. There are three options - LGV/HGV (or whatever it's called these days); somethings comms/mobile phone related; and refuelling work at an airport. SOme or all of these may require further training (ie not sure many mobile phone companies use Bowman, and I think refuelling jobs may require a HGV class 1, or whatever it's called now (not sure if you get this on the new bowsers),

You should also think about what you'll be doing when you are in; three - six years is a long time to do something just because it will give you a chance of a job on the outside. I nearly joined R.Sigs as a lineman, thinking that it would have sorted me for a job with BT. Glad I didnt do that. Considering that I'm lazy and technically stupid (or at least stupid at technical things!) that would have a HUGE mistake.

Bets of luck with what you decide.

9. PS - you should have posted this in the aviation thread. there are loads of blokes who have left there who can advise you

10. I took this for a serious post up until that moment.

11. Look for jobs like any other ex forces.

12. Emigrate to Khazakstan

Continue to wear the blue hat. :lol:

13. Worked for Bond and CHC in Aberdeen monies sh*t and your quals mean jack to the civvies,they will take you on but dont think you will go up the ladder,dead end job.Took my redundancey 4 year ago and became an off-shore diver.Best move i made,get to shag slightly better looking things.

14. I left the AAC after 22 years as a Lynx pilot and instructor with little desire to "do " the whole flying thing in civvie street.
    I agree with the sentiment that nobody owes you a living and certainly you have to work for your money, however if you can equate your CV and skills to civvy speak you will find that some employers (not all) would consider you for some positions in management. No, you will not get to the top striaght away, however once you understand the mechanics of civvy street and the drivers in business (making money!!) and with a little luck, there isn't a reason why you cannot make a second career work.
    In my case I have done a number of jobs(project manager/contractor/business development etc) and I am currently an Operations Director in a telecommunications company earning significantly more than I could flying an aircraft. I employ a number of ex forces guys in my workforce and the majority are well motivated and well paid (but like everyone they think should be paid more). Its all about determination!!