What Did You Wear As a Yoof?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by AlphaKennyThing, May 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just got back from a jolly trip down Canterbury high street grabbing some lunch, and I noticed every cunt going looking like this:

Now I'm 20, so I should probably find this totally normal - but for some reason, be it because I'm an arsehole/not with it or just sane - find it fucking ridiculous. Even chubby fuckers are wondering round muffin-topping over the sides with their emo girlfriends who are wearing exactly the same trousers. Same size, too!

I never thought I'd say it, but some of them look like bigger nobs than your average chavvy with his trackies tucked into his socks. This has all come about in like.. not long. Because I sure as hell didn't wear shit like that when I was 16/17!

So that got me thinking. Do any ARRSE'rs look back at when they were a 'yoof' and think "Wow, what the fuck was I wearing?"?

If anyone's bored enough... opinions/memories/pictures, go!
  2. As a child - School uniform with shorts
    As a youth - School uniform with long trs
    As a student - TA uniform where possible (ok jeans and trainers sometimes)
    As an adult - Uniform (be it green or the various 'off duty' uniforms that the British Army adopts)
    In the future I will wear the 'retired' uniform

I see a sad pattern emerging
  3. blokes wearing tweeds like that are usually
    out cruising for sailors.

what did i wear when i was in my teens?
    pants around my ankles.
  4. I was a mod, then a skinhead then turned into a raving hom gayboy breakdancer. So most of the time in my youth I looked like a cunt.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. No, thankfully I inherited a complete disregard for "fashion" from my father. As such, I may, on occasion, have been badly dressed but I never really managed to look so bad that I cringe when I see the pictures.
    I did have a crap haircut though (again, not a crap in a flock-of-seagulls fashionable-at-the-time, sense, just a crap harcut).

These days my wife regularly informs me that I am not fashionably dressed - which I take as a compliment. Clothes should, in my opinion, be comfortable, functional and appropriate, clean is a bonus too.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Haha!

Fackin 10 characters.
  7. I wore black mostly, because I wanted to exude that sort of mysterious cool so sought after by teenagers....Jesus, but I was an eejit back then.

Still cool though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Hair. Powder blue drape jacket, 16" drainpipes, big crepe soled beetle crushers Smart as a carrot.
  9. You mean you were a goth.
  10. I spent my early teenage years decked out in trim trab adidas track top, jeans and stan smiths trainers topped off with the worst fucking curtain haircut since Gareth from the office.

When I left school it was all Ben Sherman or Fred Perry all over.

Nowadays its polo shirts with horseys on or crocodiles depending where wifey has been shopping. Thankfully she's stopped buying me trendy stuff cos I already look like a yob and resemble a drug dealer.
  11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I had a dark blue one. If not wearing that jeans, T-Shirt and winkle pickers.
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Let's start the 'youth'phase of my life at the age of 15 and a bit. I joined IJLB and wore green mostly. Seemed to be popular with my contemporaries, all 1000+ of us. Even to the extent that every Saturday morning, just to please the RSM and Drill Sgt, we all dressed up in the same outfit and, as a bunch of happy lads, stood around on a big bit of tarmac just to show off our solidarity with each other. Some of us who were slightly different, and therefore did not please said RSM and Drill Sgt, were sent on a long, quick walk to a small room at the top of the hill where we were warmly greeted by the Provo Sgt!!

Wonderful days, our youth!!
  13. Were you in Showaddywaddy?
  14. Leather jacket, jeans and a crash helmet. Occasionally that deeply sad thing with the white socks turned over the top of the Lewis bike boots, otherwise work boots. Beard, hair past the collar bones until I joined the TA in 1975. That sorted the foliage.
  15. Lying cunt. You wore a saber tooth tiger skin. Daft old sod.