What did you get from the Army and how has it benefitted you?

You'd have a field day at my place, there isn't a straight line:)
I wasnt the one complaining about things being 1/2mm out, but just pointed out that things are never completely level or plumb. Even medical equipment that is installed with special ultra accurate lasers can be 1/2mm out over a surface.

I wasnt the one complaining about things being 1/2mm out, but just pointed out that things are never completely level or plumb. Even medical equipment that is installed with special ultra accurate lasers can be 1/2mm out over a surface.
I doubt if I'd even notice, well I would, just about, but nothing to write home about, except on an interference fit. What's that in old money about 1/32. Have a good un.

Ironing, something I time gave up a long ago, complete pointless waste of time. I found the easiest thing was to take a slightly damp shirt, hang it up about 3 days before you needed it and hey presto. I found no one ever commented about it except my son, who's never been in or had to do bed boxes and irons everything whether he needs to or not.

Pretty much everything I am, have been, and will be. The Army took what I had, good and bad, and moulded it, nurtured it, influenced it, and improved it. I would not be where I am in life had I not served. And served in the Royal Corps of Signals.

I will remain grateful to the Army until the day I die. Don't get me wrong, they got their pound of flesh too, they had the best years of my life. But my service in the Royal Corps set me up for the rest of it.

Certa Cito.
Second that comrade, my cold war service was in West Germany, from 76-81, apart from the horrible days, which you forget, I would not have missed it for the world, where else can you ski, canoe, climb, see Europe and get paid for it, and help keep the Russians slipping in through dover. great postings, experiences that defy description, all crammed into 9 years, and when I hit the big 6-O. a pension and a lump sum tax free bonus. It instilled in me compulsive tidying up, much to the consternation of my wife, Punctuality, personal cleanliness, patience with idiots, mostly council jobsworths, spotting bulls**t at 100 yards, and a healthy respect for the very old, and the bold. illigitumas non carbraundom.

Ironing, something I time gave up a long ago, complete pointless waste of time. I found the easiest thing was to take a slightly damp shirt, hang it up about 3 days before you needed it and hey presto. I found no one ever commented about it except my son, who's never been in or had to do bed boxes and irons everything whether he needs to or not.
Same here. The day I left I stopped the ironing shite. Waste of time and power. MnS non iron shirts, chinos and a shower.

Put items when dry on a hanger have a shower and hang up items in shower after.

Steam, vapour will smooth out creases and costs nothing in time or cash.

Bad back check
Bad knees check
No balls check
Deafness check
A divorce check
Bad temper

All negative

Ability to change direction on any given task in a heart beat.
Ability spot when being bluffed
Ability to get to sleep with in sixty seconds
Ability to bluff my way out of most things
Ability to track down back stabbers and offer pay back face to face.
Being able never ever to be late for anything.
A pension
A career laugh
I'd say the wife but I hate her.

Did 7 years in total, though with a two year gap in between. In some ways it seems like yesterday, in others it sometimes feels like I never served at all. Doing a boring civie job , whilst getting bullocked by jobsworths for petty things...man I love being a bus driver!
If I was 17/ 18 I'd do it all over again and stay in, coz there's sweet feck all feck all out there today.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Over the last few months I have been bulling my shoes and an old pair of boots. Somehow it helps me to relax. Once finished I wear them, scuff them up and start over again. I've gone through 4 tins of kiwi this year so far.
A thing I didn't expect to ever do again

Over the last few months I have been bulling my shoes and an old pair of boots. Somehow it helps me to relax. Once finished I wear them, scuff them up and start over again. I've gone through 4 tins of kiwi this year so far.
A thing I didn't expect to ever do again.

Fully understand the residual flashbacks to army life that effect us all, however, bulling boots is something of an overkill, I think you are being comical,..... pulling our chain, it's a joke, isn't it?...... I hope so,...... if not you really should get out more......, have to go, socks and skiddies to iron!

A thing I didn't expect to ever do again
I bought a pair of Doc Martin Chelsea boots,then i purchased a 50ml tin of Kiwi Parade Gloss Prestige Dark Tan. Can you guess how I cleaned them ? Ofcourse you can. I bulled them and spent the best part of 2 hours doing it. I was back at JIW Howe Barracks Canterbury Kent circa 1972. In reality its 2018 my body is 61 my brain is 15
That is only one of the things the army gave me ...... Pride

I bought a pair of Doc Martin Chelsea boots,then i purchased a 50ml tin of Kiwi Parade Gloss Prestige Dark Tan. Can you guess how I cleaned them ? Ofcourse you can. I bulled them and spent the best part of 2 hours doing it. I was back at JIW Howe Barracks Canterbury Kent circa 1972. In reality its 2018 my body is 61 my brain is 15
Fully understand, my throwback to my army days, is the constant compulsion to tidy up, and keep clean our stately pile, mind you, bringing up 6 kids has something to do with it,..... and I am 67, god help me.

Things like this seem to be the closest thing in real life to 'time travel'
I used to attend a lot of WW2 veterans functions and it was fascinating to see a bunch of old men quite often limp in to the function a bit hunched over, then transform as if by magic into young men in old bodies. When the beer had flowed a bit and old war stories were being told I swear that the veterans eyes looked just like those of 18-20 year olds.

Fully understand, my throwback to my army days, is the constant compulsion to tidy up, and keep clean our stately pile, mind you, bringing up 6 kids has something to do with it,..... and I am 67, god help me.
Every morning 04.45 I get up ( no matter what time i crash out) feed my best mate ( Dog) then I brew up. While kettle boiling I get the Dyson out 3 min run over front room. Kettle boils pour water over teabag ( PG Tips) spin the teabag at 100mph with spoon Tea for the use of. Then run the Hot tap ( 5/6mins to correct temp) add 1x squirt of Fairy Platinum ( must use the best) to wash the 1x spoon Tea for the use of. Wipe said 1x spoon Tea for the use of with 1x Towel Tea drying for the use of,when thats done i pour out the very hot soaped with Fairy Platinum ( think I mentioned you must use the best) down ( taking aim for the centre hole) the 1x plughole for the use of to dispose of said 'Used' washingup wasser ( yes i did BAOR) once that task is complete i spend a good 20 mins cleaning the stainless steel sink incase it stains!
When thats all done 2 things have happened.
1 Dog fed
2 Bloody tea gone cold and scummy ( Hardwater area) so I tip it down my immaculate sink. So i have to clean it again ffs

So to end 'What did I get from the Army?'
Cold bloody tea,a fed dog,clean sink that stayed clean for 60 seconds. No wonder I'm single with 2x failed marriages. Would I enlist again?
TO BLOODY RIGHT I WOULD

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Every morning 04.45 I get up ( no matter what time i crash out) feed my best mate ( Dog) then I brew up. While kettle boiling I get the Dyson out 3 min run over front room. Kettle boils pour water over teabag ( PG Tips) spin the teabag at 100mph with spoon Tea for the use of. Then run the Hot tap ( 5/6mins to correct temp) add 1x squirt of Fairy Platinum ( must use the best) to wash the 1x spoon Tea for the use of. Wipe said 1x spoon Tea for the use of with 1x Towel Tea drying for the use of,when thats done i pour out the very hot soaped with Fairy Platinum ( think I mentioned you must use the best) down ( taking aim for the centre hole) the 1x plughole for the use of to dispose of said 'Used' washingup wasser ( yes i did BAOR) once that task is complete i spend a good 20 mins cleaning the stainless steel sink incase it stains!
When thats all done 2 things have happened.
1 Dog fed
2 Bloody tea gone cold and scummy ( Hardwater area) so I tip it down my immaculate sink. So i have to clean it again ffs

So to end 'What did I get from the Army?'
Cold bloody tea,a fed dog,clean sink that stayed clean for 60 seconds. No wonder I'm single with 2x failed marriages. Would I enlist again?
TO BLOODY RIGHT I WOULD
I'd go and see someone about your OCD! A bowl of washing up water for one teaspoon, then washing the sink straight after and after tipping the tea away? No wonder we're going to have a drought this summer!

I'm kinda semi retired at the moment. The last twenty years were spent in the building game where my attire was usually scruffy fit for purpose whatever dirt, mud and stuff that you encounter on building sites.

Over the last couple of years since I stopped building things, my wardrobe has changed completely to smart clothes and reasonable shoes. I mostly buy Loake and I have five pairs. A black pair of oxfords, a black pair of brogues, a Burgundy pair of brogues, a Burgundy pair of plain looking shoes, and a black patent leather pair for formal dress.

I do keep my shoes in a quite smart condition. Every week, I sit in the garden (weather permitting) and give my shoes a good polish (excluding the patent leather ones) even if I haven't worn some of them that week.

It's surprising how many compliments I get on my smart looking shoes.

I need to get out of semi retirement and start being more productive other than polishing my shoes! :)

******* OCD freaks

I never even bulled my parade boots in training that’s what the wierd ex cadets did for you.

Thank you (current ) WO2 ******. ******** you pussers ****:mrgreen: your effort meant I never got dirty recruit on drill