What did you do to get your run time down?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SOLSTICE, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm wanting to get my run time down to well under 10 minutes, preferably 9:30, i'm currently running at 10:15 and was wondering if anyone knows if i should be doing longer runs like 5 mile runs or just keep practicing the 1.5 mile run?

Any thoughts?

2. run on sand or uphill twice a day for 2 miles as fast as you can. you will find that running on a flat hard surface for a shorter distance will be easy as hell after that.

3. I struggled too, trick to it is, stick a meathook down the back of your shorts with 3lb of raw braising steak hanging out the back then goad a pit bull with a sharp stick and away you go ! Hope this helps ! :D

Alternatively increase your distance over time, open up your pace for say, 250 metres in every thousand, chuck in some extra hills ect ect, it will come in time with enough effort.

4. Are you saying you have to run more than a thousand metres :omg:

5. (SHHHH ! You'll frighten 'im orf !)

6. 400m sprints with 90s rest as fast as you can.

400-800m runs at your desired pace with 60s rest for the required distance. Then as you get used to the pace, reduce the rest until you're running the whole distance without any rest.

At the end of the day, just do more CV work. I haven't run in ages and knocked out a 9 min 3s 1.5 on saturday (I'm still chuffed at that because I've been recovering from a groin injury and haven't been training heavily, just doing long bike rides and the sought).

7. Thanks for the advice, i've decided on a route near a local park and it is mainly grass then has a hill which leads to a dirt track then a short run on pavement.

It's half a mile once round so i'll do it 3 times round for 1.5 mile training then nine times round to increase my stamina.

I do my timed 1.5 mile at Holme Pierrpoint which is a 2km rowing water, hole lake thing whatever you want to call it and it has huge markers every 250m. I do 2.5k which is 100m extra but then i know i've done the distance instead of guessing 2.4k.

Also i'll sprint round it aswell as suggested above and it'll hopefully help me out :)

8. Try and run 2 of the markers at Holme Pierrpoint within 1 min 45, then have a minutes rest and do it again and again and again until you have done 5 of them.
    When you can do that, remove some rest and have 50s. Repeat.

9. I'll be giving that a try soon, sounds good.

10. Fartlek sessions
    This is the first session that was designed by Gösta Holmér for a cross-country runner. This is also an example of what a fartlek session might look like, but fartlek sessions should be designed for an athlete's own event or sport, as well as catering to their individual needs. Sessions should be at an intensity that causes the athlete to work at 60% to 80% of his or her maximum heart rate (estimated at 220 minus age), as outlined by the Karvonen Method. This should mean that the body will not experience too much discomfort while exercising. An athlete should also include a good warmup at the beginning of the session, and a cool down at the end of the session, to improve performance and to decrease the chances of injury and for other reasons.

Warmup: easy running for 5 to 10 minutes.
    Steady, hard speed for 1.5–2 km; like a long repetition.
    Recovery: rapid walking for about 5 minutes.
    Start of speed work: easy running interspersed with sprints of about 50–60 m, repeated until a little tired.
    Easy running with three or four "quick steps" now and then (simulating suddenly speeding up to avoid being overtaken by another runner).
    Full speed uphill for 175–200 m.
    Fast pace for 1 minute.
    The whole routine is then repeated until the total time prescribed on the training schedule has elapsed.

11. If you are like most runners, you probably over stride and land hard on your heels. Try shortening your stride so your foot strikes a more of a glancing blow beneath your hips.

12. Fartlek and High Intensity Training can help to reduce run time, I would also look at running on soft surfaces as already mentioned, you need to put more energy in to run on a muddy field, than on a treadmill or tarmac

Also start to run more than the 1.5 mile, aim to work up to 5 mile, shouldnt be too hard.

When you can run over 5 mile, 1.5 will be a peice of p*ss!!

Just make sure you mix up all different types, dont just do one over and over, or your body will get used and not improve. And make sure you get rest, so your body can recover

13. Silly question but will running on a tread mill with incline be the same as running on various terrain?
    we have no hills or sand where I live.

14. I would say no.

One is pushing yourself forwards, the other is lifting your legs up while the ground moves underneath you (even at incline).

While running on poor conditions is good for running, running on good conditions is better then a treadmil.

15. Strength train your legs. Squats, deadlifts, hamstring curls, quad raises etc. I've read that the stronger your legs are, the less impact time on the ground and more power.

Now admittedly people might think its shite. But I started interval training and weight on legs, 6 months ago and I couldn't even run 1.5 miles. When i completed my first mile and half it took 14.30. Now I;m regularly doing 9-9.30.