Man buys Harrier jump jet on eBay

A Somerset man has bought a £35million Harrier jump jet on eBay for £10,000.

Neil Banwell won an online auction for the aircraft which led the first attack on Port Stanley during the Falklands War, reports the Mirror.

Dad-of-three Neil, 39, said: "I couldn't believe it when I saw one on eBay so I jumped at the chance.

"It was my daughter Jess's 14th birthday and she put the bid on for me. We then went out to a barbecue and the next morning we found out we owned a Sea Harrier."

The 46ft-long aircraft is now being stored in a hangar near his home in Wedmore, Somerset.

Builder Neil had the plane delivered from an aircraft dealer in Suffolk and now plans to restore the jet to its former glory.

It came complete with two 30mm cannons but minus its £250,000 Pegasus engine and computer systems due to regulations which prevent it being flown in the UK.

Neil hopes to pick up a used engine from aircraft maker BAE Systems.
Don’t let your kids bid on eBay, you never know what you could finish up with. :wink:
Rumrunner said:
Neil hopes to pick up a used engine from aircraft maker BAE Systems.
Who the feck is he going to ring at BAE? Its not liek they have them hanging around at the back of the shop. "Hold on sir, I'll just see if i have one in stock"
If he's not fussy he can pick up a donk from McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing.

I'm holding out for a Jaguar, I understand there may be a few available shortly.
wheelchairwarrier said:
Oh he's no in the LoF, is he ?

Oh f#ck, do those loons have an air wing? Will have to watch out for them trying to sneak into RAF flypasts.

Bit difficult flying a Harrier in one of those daft hats though.
lol......Its a cheap one, is he going to store it in his drive way???

They are fast buggers, just hope he can fly well.

Book Reviewer
Does anyone remember a NAAFI auction recently for a genuine SAS Smock. I believe it nearly went to an ARRSER for a staggering amount of money . . .
Don't but much but have a good old perv on the womens lingerie.