What did MFO stand for?

Now that’s really old school - black paint and stencils.
Gosh I remember those days. Paint the side black then stencil over the top. We had them stripped down after ever blasted move, I even think Dad had them in the garage which we cleared out after he was shipped into a home.

Dubious bits in the corner, is that a machine pistol!
That made me chuckle, I always have bits and bobs laid around the place when I am pottering about. That is a MkV Sten, first batch from the serial number

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Married Families Officer. They came from the MFO's store. Used 23 for my first move from UK to west Berlin in 1983.

Euclid

War Hero
What I do know about MFO boxes is that once you have loaded up 3 of them (in my single man bunk at RAF LYN) they don't fit out of the effing door frame.

Oh how I laughed as I unpacked the fukcers to place them in the corridor to start again.
You were a load master I guess?

Bloody love that!
Like how you've not over restored it.
Busy restoring ( sort of) a couple of my Papa's 20's-30's Clydeside boxes.
He was a carpenter on the Queen liners back in the day.
Nothing as epic as yours though.
Thank you, I love the way that a linseed finish really brings out a depth of shine and colour.
The drawers and drawing table were destined for the skip at work, they just needed a light touch and weeks of building the finish.
I replaced the plastic pulleys with alloy ones, the originals were ok but tatty.
I almost felt guilty putting these back in the shed.
32AE130D-057C-4404-AA37-1E49A587F281.jpeg
21655274-915D-4F24-B644-94E898D89C0D.jpeg
C353D1DD-B1BE-4976-A106-712CB9B299CC.jpeg
8832E61C-CF5D-4B97-A947-4C1DDCFE4ED8.jpeg
6CE7082D-7C69-46B9-8244-021756451F45.jpeg
10659D2B-62F1-472F-83AB-D3D8918F6885.jpeg
E0ED9C82-D532-468F-9C13-97273E170D00.jpeg
256473C0-985E-49E5-AA2C-58C432864E19.jpeg

Thank you, I love the way that a linseed finish really brings out a depth of shine and colour.
The drawers and drawing table were destined for the skip at work, they just needed a light touch and weeks of building the finish.
I replaced the plastic pulleys with alloy ones, the originals were ok but tatty.
View attachment 489884View attachment 489890
Oh stop it. I'm salivating now.
If I saw these in a saleroom they'd be going home pronto.
Perfect for managing 00 rail stock.

Yup, they have all my small rifle parts in them, one or two drawers for each model

These were all ex MoD bits of kit in years gone by. People today only see the battered, tattered old wooden thing that they think belongs in the bin.
With a bit of tlc you can usually get them looking like they should and then people want them again ;-)

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
You were a load master I guess?
No, absolutely not. 100% army here old chap.

Edited to add, I think I missed the irony there! Apologies. More wine required I think.

Last edited:
Didn't you Gunners do a ; "I have no live rounds, empty cases or missfires in my possesion sir" declaration at the end of every day at the ranges?
The declaration was always made in good faith and with total honesty...we just pocketed the brass on the trip back. ;-)

Jonnynoname

War Hero
Didn't you Gunners do a ; "I have no live rounds, empty cases or missfires in my possesion sir" declaration at the end of every day at the ranges?
AHHHH....but i was actually given this from an ex Coldstream Guards Sgt.. I did fire some brass carts from the Abbot but as you correctly said," No live rounds or empty cartridge cases on my possession..Sir !"

Jonnynoname

War Hero
The declaration was always made in good faith and with total honesty...we just pocketed the brass on the trip back. ;-)
I only ever fired brass carts on the Abbot Gun from 1 RHA(conversion) when we used them in Canada one time. Other times M109 Bag charges. only other Gun i used was the Light Gun.

Euclid

War Hero
View attachment 489884View attachment 489885View attachment 489886View attachment 489887View attachment 489888View attachment 489889View attachment 489890View attachment 489891
Things of beauty. Give me one of those over a Queen Anne piece of tat any day.

Things of beauty. Give me one of those over a Queen Anne piece of tat any day.
Agreed, back in the day I thought nothing of these, they were archaic and “issued” so ten a penny, break it, get another.
Now they are seldom seen and I appreciate that they have survived despite everything, so I choose to restore them.
Some things were not meant to last, the boxes were meant for a few trips so to find one brings a nostalgic smile to my physog.
My shed is full of stuff waiting for me to get round to it. As long as people are throwing this out, I will keep gathering it up and doing something with it. ;-)

326FFD2B-6896-4197-8CE3-F936858C70FC.jpeg
5AF82390-4986-4625-A253-01BFE82145F1.jpeg
EE8719C2-A1C7-4629-9340-92AE4EB29CBE.jpeg

All of the above had been binned, not all at once, I grabbed the drawers and things as I found them and gradually made a set

Loads of screws to put in was a pain in the days before owning a ratchet screwdriver was common, but if you wanted added security to safeguard your precious hi-fi tower bought on Naafi credit you'd wrap them with banding wire....trouble is the first time being given a roll of wire, a box of metal clips and the hand cranking thing as a singlie was always a demonstration in proving how stupid 20yr old singlies could be... the cranky thing never came with instructions and there wasn't a Youtube clip you could look up for a demo...

Last edited:

Latest Threads