What did MFO stand for?

The only MFO boxes I ever saw were cardboard.

I used MFO for intra-UKLF moves as well as places German and Canadian. All arrived safely and in good nick.

Storage of said boxes during a det down FI was another story. Cheers, RQMS 6 Bn REME, you chod.

Could they be used as coffins, adult?
Possibly. I know from witnessing it first hand many years ago that a Belizian “wife” can fit quite easily inside one. Handy for them to be transported in and out of a Corporals single room as and when required so as to avoid discovery during block inspections. As to what MFO meant. No idea. Although sitting in my house surrounded by multiple possessions and assorted crap I do think back fondly to when every item I owned in the world could fit into a single MFO box and a couple of grip bags.

Euclid

War Hero
On my first ever move to my regt, post Sandhurst etc i moved my entire worldly possessions in two boxes plus a load of kit in my car. Fast forward 20 years and i need a big FO Pickfords truck.

I think I preferred the two MFO boxes.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I only ever had cardboard boxes but I recall my old mans. We traveled all over the shop as an RAF family. I used to help him painting the proper wooden crates, thick black paint on two sides and white stenciled writing. Name rank and number and new posting BFPO address. He was entitled to bloody loads of them.

Euclid

War Hero
I only ever had cardboard boxes but I recall my old mans. We traveled all over the shop as an RAF family. I used to help him painting the proper wooden crates, thick black paint on two sides and white stenciled writing. Name rank and number and new posting BFPO address. He was entitled to bloody loads of them.
Now that’s really old school - black paint and stencils.

Sexton Blake

Old-Salt
What I do know about MFO boxes is that once you have screwed them together and loaded up 3 of them (in my single man bunk at RAF LYN) they don't fit out of the effing door frame.

Oh how I laughed as I unpacked the fukcers to place them in the corridor to start again.

Last edited:
Early on during lockdown I did a job on an old NAAFI box, gave it a hand rubbed linseed oil finish, it has come up quite nicely
8152D828-B767-4487-8816-A32BAB26350E.jpeg
2F8E4EC6-B763-4B53-AF2F-8D8965267F4E.jpeg

60's and 70's, sturdy crates, then the cheap and flimsy plywood jobs came out and finally cardboard. The downsizing of the MOD budget in any strategic arms reviews, the clues were there!
The plywood ones made some nicely wood stained fitted cabinets on the outside, and plain plywood & stenciling when you opened the door.
The house was sold to a chiropodist who used that room as his treatment room.
I’ve always wondered if the cabinets stayed and what his clients would have thought if he opened one

GrandadsMOB

War Hero
What I do know about MFO boxes is that once you have loaded up 3 of them (in my single man bunk at RAF LYN) they don't fit out of the effing door frame.

Oh how I laughed as I unpacked the fukcers to place them in the corridor to start again.
Ditto moving out of a civvy apartment in Hong Kong.

Fecked up the beautifully polished parquet floor no end dragging them across so that the local lads could band them.

Latest Threads