What did MFO stand for?

Old school wooden MFO packing boxes. What did MFO stand for?

Also remember the cheap steel screws used to fix them together. Always managed to slip on screwing one in and end up with a razor sharp steel spike.

Only really remembered when unscrewing the thing and stabbing yourself and bleeding like a stuck pig.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I was told many years ago it was "Married Forces Overseas", but Gawd only knows.

Dr Death

War Hero
My Fcuking Opinion
A phrase common on arrse.

I was told that it was Military Forwarding Office and Wiki (ususual wiki caveat apply) seems to confirm it.

<<Modern military mail provision

The provision of a mail service to soldiers remained an ad hoc affair until 1882. In 1881 a rebellion broke out in Egypt which threatened Britain's passage to India through Suez. In response a British Expeditionary Force was sent to Egypt in the same year under the command of Sir Garnet Wolseley. This gave Lieutenant Colonel du Plat Taylor the opportunity to raise the matter of the postal corps again and it was agreed that an Army Post Office Corps (APOC) should be formed. Mails from Britain were despatched three times a week via the 'overland route' through France to Alexandria. The Army Post Offices offered a letter and parcel service and sold stamps and postal orders. In addition to the mail services, a free parcel service from the naval docks at Deptford was also set up. These parcels travelled by government store ships and transports. This service was the forerunner of the Military Forwarding Office (MFO) service which still exists today
>>
Link Military Mail

rifleair

War Hero
Always thought it stood for military freight overseas. As I recall you could only use it when either going or returning from overseas, moving location within a country you made your own arrangements.

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Always thought it stood for military freight overseas. As I recall you could only use it when either going or returning from overseas, moving location within a country you made your own arrangements.
More or less. Moves within UK got you "Removal Expenses" where you had to obtain three genuinely competitive tenders.
Moves within Germany got you a buckshee Bedford for the day.

4(T)

LE
I've still got seven full ones in the shed.

Oh the joys of assembling 20+ of them for a move - and not possessing a ratchet screwdriver.

I just threw out some MFO boxes last year on a bulk rubbish. had them for years. were good solid boxes. Kept the Brass though :D

I found four in the attic when I moved house last year. My mate has got a couple in his garage now with all his family's camping gear in them, and the last one is here in my workshop.

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
I found four in the attic when I moved house last year. My mate has got a couple in his garage now with all his family's camping gear in them, and the last one is here in my workshop.
yeah they are well made to last a life time. i just needed the space so threw them out. when i put them outside for a bulk rubbish (Germany) they were gone in less than an hour. had two big long ones & three smaller square ones.
Made sure i blacked out my number & name..etc before it. ;)

yeah they are well made to last a life time. i just needed the space so threw them out. when i put them outside for a bulk rubbish (Germany) they were gone in less than an hour. had two big long ones & three smaller square ones.
Made sure i blacked out my number & name..etc before it. ;)
Could they be used as coffins, adult?

Latest Threads