Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What dictates what weapon you get issued?

Oracle said:
britishairborne said:
When i join i want the gimpy,i no i will probebly get the crows cannon but how do squaddies get issued minimis/ugls/gimpys/lsw is it a random thing?

I'm guessing, but I reckon you will be issued with a stick. Not a sharp one, just a small stick.

Or a tablet - a BIG fcuk off one.

The Lord Flasheart said:
britishairborne said:
* that i dont want a radio,whats a charlie g?

Carl_Gustaf._recoilless.rifle.jpg

Usually given to the prick of the section. My guess is you would have carried it for years.

Ah the useless Charlie G, what a load of scrap metal that is. When we done inter pln and sect competitions carrying those things we used to put a broom handle through it and two blokes carried it easy enough. With about half a mile to go, bin the broom handle.

BT. :thumright:

Ahh the charlie G, had that when in assault troop, as assault troop was rather undermanned at the time, had the choice of charlie G or the bren to carry, with first choice being the G second choice also being the Charlie G.

I hated the thing, fired it once and hated it more, ranks in top 3 of naff kit to lumber a squaddie with.

Ah, the LMG...

Hands up all those who didn't close the barel locking nut properly and have the fcuker break in two while running down the range....

Just me then?

I'll get my coat...

PassingBells said:
It's always the smallest person who gets to carry the gimpy.

When I was 17 and 3 stone wet through I was No 2 on a long range gpmg recce team deployed to Germany.

At the age of 40+ and built like a Mongolian camel I find myself issued with a clipboard but I haver to buy my own pencil.

My advice is that you should spend a few years getting used to carrying heavy objects that others fire and apprecite.

The 84 is still in use but a tad lighter now.

The Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System (MAAWS) consists of the M3 Carl Gustaf Recoilless Rifle and a family of 84mm ammunition. Originally fielded to the US Rangers in 1990, the program has grown to include NAVY Seals. The M3 Rifle weighs approximately 25 pounds and is 42 inches in length.

The Lord Flasheart
I take it, it was Hobsons choice?

Correct, remember being given it and being put in a stay behind position, with orders to leg it as fast as possible after engaging enemy, which i did, then being told to go back to stay behind position and collect the damn thing.

scarletto said:
The Lord Flasheart
I take it, it was Hobsons choice?

Correct, remember being given it and being put in a stay behind position, with orders to leg it as fast as possible after engaging enemy, which i did, then being told to go back to stay behind position and collect the damn thing.

Quality!

Well i had an SMG as my Personal as well as a Charlie G to look after. I may as well of thrown stones at the Enemy then poked them with the handle of my mess tin.

Ah, the venerable Charlie G, we've actually still got it here in DK.

I remember one course a few years back when my number two jacked after the first three days. It was great, I got to carry the weapon, plus the ammunition, and accessory cases.

I could hardly close my bergan, never mind anything else!

It annoys me the minimi is now the Lmg .Old enough to remeber the other lmg .The us special forces get a lightwieght 84mm think its fibre glass
or carbon fibre .Guess that makes even mere stabs tougher than the spams. lol.