What dictates what weapon you get issued?

FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
dingerr said:
FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
Dwarf, SMG got an evil reputation because of dodgy ammunition, it's a good weapon otherwise and more practical than the SA80 at close quarters or if operating from a vehicle.
Why was the Ammo Dodgy? What incidents are you referring to?

So i suppose it had nothing to do with the working parts being held to the rear with a fixed firing pin and no safety, resulting in an ND at the slightest jolt, jar or trip.
My understanding is that someone unloaded a dodgy stock of Indian 9 mil onto the British Army which is when bullets started bouncing of wet blankets and generally losing interest three feet after leaving the barrel. There are greater experts on Arrse and I think it's been covered in another thread somewhere after the recent Afghanistan ammunition scandal.

The SMG seems to provoke strong emotions but my only personal experience of misbehaviour was one weapon which used to default to automatic without consulting the firer.
Former_Fyrdman
Didn't know that, thanks. But I still prefer to keep them at a distance where possible. Showing my age here because I never really handled the SA80, I used the Big Black F*ck Off Stick and personally avoided carrying the smudger. How is it better than SA80? This is a genuine question.

(Like the name, Fyrd was a fine body, did the Mother Country proud.)

Due to being quite a big guy on my first day in my Battalion I was told I was to be Gimpy gunner.
I couldnt get rid of the thing until I joined the signal platoon 5 years later when they gave me a big heavy radio instead, then I wanted my gimpy back.

FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
dingerr said:
FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
Dwarf, SMG got an evil reputation because of dodgy ammunition, it's a good weapon otherwise and more practical than the SA80 at close quarters or if operating from a vehicle.
Why was the Ammo Dodgy? What incidents are you referring to?

So i suppose it had nothing to do with the working parts being held to the rear with a fixed firing pin and no safety, resulting in an ND at the slightest jolt, jar or trip.
My understanding is that someone unloaded a dodgy stock of Indian 9 mil onto the British Army which is when bullets started bouncing of wet blankets and generally losing interest three feet after leaving the barrel. There are greater experts on Arrse and I think it's been covered in another thread somewhere after the recent Afghanistan ammunition scandal.

The SMG seems to provoke strong emotions but my only personal experience of misbehaviour was one weapon which used to default to automatic without consulting the firer.
The ammo was only one of the problems when I had to use the damn thing. It didn't help that the weapons themselves were rather elderly and prone to slipping off the safety sear when knocked, shaken or just heavily oiled.

I remember shooting the thing at 30m on a zeroing range with the dodgy ammo and seeing the rounds skip off the ground twixt me and target. On pasting up, there were holes shaped like the bullet profile where these ones had gone through sideways.

Nah, gimme a Gimpy any day. You can be sure he'll fall over when hit, even if only for the weight of metal suddenly inserted in him.

One thing I noticed with the smg was that apart from the things noted above, if you weren't in a rifle platoon where your weapon was an extension of your arm, then the smg was often just hung on you and forgotten. My brother, for example, being a mortar detachment Sgt often had his hands full of other more important things, such as maps, pens, mugs of tea, butties, cans of whatever and so on. This lead to the classic day when he accidentally crapped on the barrel of his smg when on exercise in Germany, made cleaning interesting. That wouldn't have happened with a rifle, or at least it would have been easier to clean.

I wasn't really happy with the smg personally and go along with
Smartascarrots, if you hit him he should go down, the smg I feel was only really good for FIBUA or clearing a trench, the up close stuff. But like I say
this is a personal thing, and I think that weapon handling is often what you are happy with.