What dictates what weapon you get issued?

I loved being the gunner - LMG and an SLR (looked cool to slam on the lmg mag onto an SLR (till the CSM twatted me) and I even volunteered to carry the fine weapon on the CFTs. I loved it - admittedly at 6'2 and 16 stone it's a mere bangstick in my mits but what a chindit feel it gave you - I did miss it when promoted to a person allowed a girls gun, the SMG (small metal gun as one of our ACC chefs called it).

The first weapon I was given to use 'in anger', as opposed to drill, was a pick helve.
Ahh yes a fine weapon to defend the camp from armed terrorists, also useful as a golf club at 2am when bored. :)

scarletto said:
The first weapon I was given to use 'in anger', as opposed to drill, was a pick helve.
Ahh yes a fine weapon to defend the camp from armed terrorists, also useful as a golf club at 2am when bored. :)
And as an anti-T72 weapon. you bang on his hatch till the cdr opens and then beat the 7 bells out of him. More effective than the Charlie G.

You will start of know doubt as a rifleman, and you you be assessed if they can let you lose with any thing more dangerous. As you gain experience as a soldier then your roles in the your company will increase.

W.Anchor said:
You will start of know doubt as a rifleman, and you you be assessed if they can let you lose with any thing more dangerous. As you gain experience as a soldier then your roles in the your company will increase.
Thanks mate for a proper anser.

OR they will stick you in the cookhouse to peal tatties with a blunt spoon if you are a twat!

britishairborne said:
me n bee said:
OR they will stick you in the cookhouse to peal tatties with a blunt spoon if you are a t**t!
Good job im not a t**t then isnt it mate.
Ah but its your NCO that decides that

Hence A_Js years of spud pealing with a blunt spoon.

I progressed through to sweeping the parade square until I twigged - never volunteer for anything hehehe apart for guchhi courses! :D

This Captain came back to the battalion from the special forces, took command of the Recce Platoon, strip the doors ,windscreens and canopies off their Land Rovers. Took away their, GPMG's and swap them with the REME LAD for thier LMG's

I have been dicked with the LSW in Afgan when on normal patrols across say the desert because i was the best shot in my platoon and section. But the best shot in all sections have been dicked with the LSW no matter how long they have been in because its a fire support weapon and its used for accuracy and the best shots have that. I don't want it, but gotta do what i am told. But for say built up areas i will use my SA80 etc. So i say it all depends on the role your unit is tasked with and how best your suitability on the weapon systems at your disposal dictates what weapon you will be using.

Geordie_Blerk said:
britishairborne said:
When i join i want the gimpy,i no i will probebly get the crows cannon but how do squaddies get issued minimis/ugls/gimpys/lsw is it a random thing?
Join the Army and you'll find out.

Edited to add: Lovely user name. If you fail the entrants tests will you call yourself British civilian?

...or British 'HAT?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Dwarf said:
taggytwo said:
any good infantry soldier worth his weight, would get themselves an SMG
as a personal weopon, the APWT was easier as well.

anyone who wants to carry a gimmpy is either mad or on some form of white powder, usually Glitto.
balls, smg is useless unless at waterpistol range. Loved the gimpy, and I'm only 5ft 12.5 cms, gimpy has an effect on people that heineken certainly doesn't. Only drawback is that you can't fit a bayonet.
I have never been on any form of powder so you must be referring to the piece of paper the nice doctor gave me.
Dwarf, SMG got an evil reputation because of dodgy ammunition, it's a good weapon otherwise and more practical than the SA80 at close quarters or if operating from a vehicle.

FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
Dwarf, SMG got an evil reputation because of dodgy ammunition, it's a good weapon otherwise and more practical than the SA80 at close quarters or if operating from a vehicle.
Why was the Ammo Dodgy? What incidents are you referring to?

So i suppose it had nothing to do with the working parts being held to the rear with a fixed firing pin and no safety, resulting in an ND at the slightest jolt, jar or trip.

fingers_1661 said:
Geordie_Blerk said:
britishairborne said:
When i join i want the gimpy,i no i will probebly get the crows cannon but how do squaddies get issued minimis/ugls/gimpys/lsw is it a random thing?
Join the Army and you'll find out.

Edited to add: Lovely user name. If you fail the entrants tests will you call yourself British civilian?

...or British 'HAT?
Bet we would never know.... would just walt it up on t'internet!

Remember what ever you get you have to carry for mile upon mile and the ammo, this is a time when bigger is not always better

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
dingerr said:
FORMER_FYRDMAN said:
Why was the Ammo Dodgy? What incidents are you referring to?

So i suppose it had nothing to do with the working parts being held to the rear with a fixed firing pin and no safety, resulting in an ND at the slightest jolt, jar or trip.
My understanding is that someone unloaded a dodgy stock of Indian 9 mil onto the British Army which is when bullets started bouncing of wet blankets and generally losing interest three feet after leaving the barrel. There are greater experts on Arrse and I think it's been covered in another thread somewhere after the recent Afghanistan ammunition scandal.

The SMG seems to provoke strong emotions but my only personal experience of misbehaviour was one weapon which used to default to automatic without consulting the firer.